User Tag List

First 456

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Jack, you calm down and be a good little boy, now.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INXX

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    Has anyone actually read one of Damasio's books? That was what the thread was based on right?

I think that there is a lot of interesting discussion that could be had about Descartes Error or Looking for Spinoza and how it relates to MBTI and psychology in general.
    Thanks, I agree. I think my title and timing stood out more than the topic. I have not read the whole book, but I have read part of it. As I recall emotion is crucial for decision-making, but not overwhelming emotion. Overwhelming emotion does not help cognitive processing. Moderate emotion not only can help thinking but is necessary for making decisions.

When you think about it, thinking without any emotion at all will just lead to analysis, analysis and more analysis. It will be never-ending. Also, when you think about it, emotion helps to guide focus. Emotion of liking or disliking something helps us pay attention to it. Emotions such as a feeling of urgency or impact help us make decisions. I guess those are the obvious examples. Other ways emotions interact with thinking are more subtle, I'm sure.

MBTI
    INTP

Yes I'm reading Looking for Spinoza right now another Damsio book. One of the interesting things I got was his concepts of Emotions being sort of the physiological precursor to Feelings( mental processes). Basically you view everything through a lens of those emotions. when you're sad or depressed your heart and stomach sinks, your thoughts are slower and more descriptive, you run loops, critically analyze. When your happy you get a rush of thoughts in quick succession, have positive outlooks on things, feel different body sensations.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    INXX

I think this makes a lot of sense, since we human beings are biological beings. Emotions and sensations are part of our filter, and I think it takes more than the intellect to try to become more free of emotions that are blocking happiness or truth in some way. I think it takes some sort of a discipline or method that involves the body and the deeper levels of the psyche. For some people it might involve therapy of some kind. It could also involve meditation or psychedelics or art or other things. I guess what I mean is a sort of "cleansing the doors of perception" thing.

I think INTPs who get involved in some sort of discipline have a lot of potential to free their minds in this way maybe more easily than some other types provided they do not have some sort of psychological trauma or scarring to deal with.

But what frankly scares me about this type of process at its most extreme is that people who really pursue it become transpersonal. Then it seems like they do not have the perspective of a living human being anymore. It seems like they have a perspective that I would associate with the dead or with a non-human fictional entity such as an alien or a demon. I guess that is the NF in me feeling some revulsion at completely transpersonal or impersonal thinking. Yet I also find it fascinating when somebody appears to have somewhat achieved it.