User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INXX

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    To be honest, these threads are making me nervous.
    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    me too
    Once I latch onto something, I plumb its depths. Got to. It's my job as an INFP/INXP. It's sincerely not my intention to antagonize you guys.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Arrogance never antagonizes us
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelTao View Post
    I think it's possible for people just to have a belief because of the lack of widespread popularity of the philosophical and psychological advances in understanding how thinking and emotions relate.
    Understanding is an entirely human construct, so I suppose it'd be natural that emotions would end up in the mix, too. I mean, rock formations don't 'understand.' They don't have emotions, either. Only things that have both can have understanding, so they end up intertwined...

Or... something...
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

It will get interesting when they build the first "understanding" machine. Then we will see what pure thinking is.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

i think the feeling function often gets mixed with being emotional. that's not right. being emotional and being an F are two distinct things. i know many people who have a T function who get angry really easily. it could be because they earn for truth and absolute knowledge when most F's are more or less happy with subjectivity. therefore when a T misunderstands an F and says that they are making choices irrationally, that is also false. MBTI has chosen a non-ideal word to categorize the function. F does not just mean "I feel like peanuts therefore i demand peanuts". it's more 'who would i hurt in making this decision?' and 'is it morally right to do something like this?'.

MBTI
    INXX

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    i think the feeling function often gets mixed with being emotional. that's not right. being emotional and being an F are two distinct things.
    I completely agree. But emotions always come up, so I made this thread more about emotions than about the Feeling function. I purposely used "emoting" in the title rather than "Feeling". I thought it might be interesting to take a closer look at how emotion and thought relate to each other in the human psyche.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelTao View Post
    I think it's possible for people just to have a belief because of the lack of widespread popularity of the philosophical and psychological advances in understanding how thinking and emotions relate.
    true.

MBTI
    eNtP
    Enneagram
    4w5/

Just wondering....

People here are trying to put a duality between Feeling and feeling.

Isn't the Fi/Fe duality enough to cover this?

MBTI
    INXX

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Understanding is an entirely human construct, so I suppose it'd be natural that emotions would end up in the mix, too. I mean, rock formations don't 'understand.' They don't have emotions, either. Only things that have both can have understanding, so they end up intertwined...

Or... something...
    I think you're onto something. We wouldn't have evolved emotions if they were not adaptive for us as humans. Of course, they can become maladaptive at times, too.

I once read a book about evolution that briefly covered the evolution of emotions. Emotions in mammals evolved, according to the author, to get past the problem of the selfish gene. Emotions can make a creature have an internal reward for doing something unselfish or for delaying gratification. Emotions helped creatures develop behaviors like caring for their young and cooperating together in social groupings. Emotions allowed mammals to go to a higher level of complexity and flexibility than just responding to pleasure and pain and just seeing to their own individual survival.

Of course, it could be that some day humans will evolve to be more free of emotion, somehow retaining the benefits of emotion without being so prone into the traps of emotion - if that's even possible. But then would we still reproduce sexually, would we still have fun, would we still have compassion, or would we resemble the gray insect like aliens a la Communion and other alien stories? Highly speculative. Anyway...

MBTI
    INXX

Quote Originally Posted by Cypocalypse View Post
    Just wondering....

People here are trying to put a duality between Feeling and feeling.

Isn't the Fi/Fe duality enough to cover this?
    I confess I have retained in my memory the descriptions of the types of the people I know in my own circle and how they relate to my type and vice versa - but I have not committed to memory exactly what Fi and Fe are.