User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: INFJ and career

MBTI
    INFJ

Default INFJ and career

One of those career questions againóMany thanks in advance for any response, if you are still not too bored with those sorts of questions ;-)

I am now in law school, and if I get an articling position, I will soon be a lawyer. However, my experience in law so far has been certainly less than glamorous [but I donít think that I would like it if itís ďglamorousĒ anyway.] I am somewhat more motivated now, but my motivation had been gone to the gutter for quite a while. I really appreciate the intellectual rigour of the curriculum, but I cannot be emotionally inspired by /connected with what I am learning. I felt emotionally isolated at school for quite a while, unable to connect with most of my schoolmates [or the lawyers that I tried to network with, for that matter.] Iíve heard a couple of stories about unhappy INFJ lawyers/law students, and that certainly doesnít help. Fortunately the lawyer that I have been working for has become like a role model to me, so I feel more hope that I can find a niche in the legal profession.

I just wonder what careers other INFJs have, and how you guys are feeling about your careers. Just to clarify, I donít believe that types limit career choices. Besides, many things are not determined by types. If you happen to know a happy INFJ lawyer and why s/he is happy, that will be great news indeed.

Thanks again.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

Hi. I'm an IT manager. Also one of the job types that are certainly not recommended for INFJs. I have also struggled with the lack of emotion in that field. On top of that my company works in construction Ideally I would have been a psychologist. Now I'm just an armchair therapist
    I'm learning to deal with the way things are. Sometimes I feel like I'm tackling the enemy from the inside out. That keeps me going. I also seem to inspire my colleagues, who are almost all very much ST types, every now and then.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

INFJ's by nature are strongly driven by their ideals so when you tell me that you're doing law, i can see both good and bad things about your career choice. if you're gonna be a lawyers, i can imagine you being absolutely miserable trying to defend someone who you know is guilty. even if he's innocent he can be a complete jackass and you may feel unwilling. in the flip side, you could be very happy fighting for your ideals of justice. i think you may be better off not being your typical lawyer in big michael jackson cases or whatever. i think that will be better for someone like an ENTP. i think wroking with the ideals of laws could be great for you but not necessarily cross examining or whatever. there must be a job out there which lets you deal with the theory, the laws itself and not be forced to do a case you don't want.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    INFJ's by nature are strongly driven by their ideals so when you tell me that you're doing law, i can see both good and bad things about your career choice. if you're gonna be a lawyers, i can imagine you being absolutely miserable trying to defend someone who you know is guilty. even if he's innocent he can be a complete jackass and you may feel unwilling. in the flip side, you could be very happy fighting for your ideals of justice. i think you may be better off not being your typical lawyer in big michael jackson cases or whatever. i think that will be better for someone like an ENTP. i think wroking with the ideals of laws could be great for you but not necessarily cross examining or whatever. there must be a job out there which lets you deal with the theory, the laws itself and not be forced to do a case you don't want.
    There are many types of lawyers. Only a few actually defend people in court like you are describing. There are possibilities for idealist lawyers (environmental being one). However, I personally do not like most lawyers do to selfish manipulation (i.e. everyone in Congress almost). That is my tertiary Fi of honor, anti-corruption, and purpose/efficiency screaming though.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
    There are many types of lawyers. Only a few actually defend people in court like you are describing. There are possibilities for idealist lawyers (environmental being one). However, I personally do not like most lawyers do to selfish manipulation (i.e. everyone in Congress almost). That is my tertiary Fi of honor, anti-corruption, and purpose/efficiency screaming though.
    environmental and stuff, thank you, i was looking for an example but nothing clicked. that's the stuff i think you should be doing, and i think it'll fit you well.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

My major is biology and I plan to work in the health field; either medical or dental.

MBTI
    INFJ

electrical, electronics, IT, etc etc

i love my tech field of expertise...

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    4w5

And what about the infps here ? is law good for infp?? what career do infps approach??
    I...74%
    N...66%
    F... 62%
    P... 72%
    Ti- Ne- Si- Fe
    Te- Ni-Fi- Se
    Ennegramm: 4w5
    Intrapersonal with Logical- Mathemathical I.
    Cassification: brunette East- baltid^^

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by Lexlike View Post
    And what about the infps here ? is law good for infp?? what career do infps approach??
    INFP's always see things through rose colored glasses. they are the eternal optimist, though ironically, they are also attracted to sad things. when it comes to work, they have to do something that they enjoy. so in short, whatever floats their boat, though they might have to avoid things that may destroy their optimism too much. i think something like a writer, actor or the aforementioned types of lawyers could be good.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

INFJs and law is a good match if you can find a job where you're either trying to change the system, help others, or defend the underdog. Probably not the top-paying firms.

You might see if your school has this book
    Amazon.com: The Official Guide to Legal Specialties: National Association for Law Placement: Books

The person who edited it is really type-savvy. I could maybe get her to list INFJ ideas--she's ENFJ--if you're interested...
    edcoaching