• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ and career

Isb

MBTI Type
INFJ
One of those career questions again—Many thanks in advance for any response, if you are still not too bored with those sorts of questions ;-)

I am now in law school, and if I get an articling position, I will soon be a lawyer. However, my experience in law so far has been certainly less than glamorous [but I don’t think that I would like it if it’s “glamorous” anyway.] I am somewhat more motivated now, but my motivation had been gone to the gutter for quite a while. I really appreciate the intellectual rigour of the curriculum, but I cannot be emotionally inspired by /connected with what I am learning. I felt emotionally isolated at school for quite a while, unable to connect with most of my schoolmates [or the lawyers that I tried to network with, for that matter.] I’ve heard a couple of stories about unhappy INFJ lawyers/law students, and that certainly doesn’t help. Fortunately the lawyer that I have been working for has become like a role model to me, so I feel more hope that I can find a niche in the legal profession.

I just wonder what careers other INFJs have, and how you guys are feeling about your careers. Just to clarify, I don’t believe that types limit career choices. Besides, many things are not determined by types. If you happen to know a happy INFJ lawyer and why s/he is happy, that will be great news indeed.

Thanks again.

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
Hi. I'm an IT manager. Also one of the job types that are certainly not recommended for INFJs. I have also struggled with the lack of emotion in that field. On top of that my company works in construction ;) Ideally I would have been a psychologist. Now I'm just an armchair therapist ;)
I'm learning to deal with the way things are. Sometimes I feel like I'm tackling the enemy from the inside out. That keeps me going. I also seem to inspire my colleagues, who are almost all very much ST types, every now and then.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
INFJ's by nature are strongly driven by their ideals so when you tell me that you're doing law, i can see both good and bad things about your career choice. if you're gonna be a lawyers, i can imagine you being absolutely miserable trying to defend someone who you know is guilty. even if he's innocent he can be a complete jackass and you may feel unwilling. in the flip side, you could be very happy fighting for your ideals of justice. i think you may be better off not being your typical lawyer in big michael jackson cases or whatever. i think that will be better for someone like an ENTP. i think wroking with the ideals of laws could be great for you but not necessarily cross examining or whatever. there must be a job out there which lets you deal with the theory, the laws itself and not be forced to do a case you don't want.

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
INFJ's by nature are strongly driven by their ideals so when you tell me that you're doing law, i can see both good and bad things about your career choice. if you're gonna be a lawyers, i can imagine you being absolutely miserable trying to defend someone who you know is guilty. even if he's innocent he can be a complete jackass and you may feel unwilling. in the flip side, you could be very happy fighting for your ideals of justice. i think you may be better off not being your typical lawyer in big michael jackson cases or whatever. i think that will be better for someone like an ENTP. i think wroking with the ideals of laws could be great for you but not necessarily cross examining or whatever. there must be a job out there which lets you deal with the theory, the laws itself and not be forced to do a case you don't want.

There are many types of lawyers. Only a few actually defend people in court like you are describing. There are possibilities for idealist lawyers (environmental being one). However, I personally do not like most lawyers do to selfish manipulation (i.e. everyone in Congress almost). That is my tertiary Fi of honor, anti-corruption, and purpose/efficiency screaming though.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
There are many types of lawyers. Only a few actually defend people in court like you are describing. There are possibilities for idealist lawyers (environmental being one). However, I personally do not like most lawyers do to selfish manipulation (i.e. everyone in Congress almost). That is my tertiary Fi of honor, anti-corruption, and purpose/efficiency screaming though.

environmental and stuff, thank you, i was looking for an example but nothing clicked. that's the stuff i think you should be doing, and i think it'll fit you well.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My major is biology and I plan to work in the health field; either medical or dental.

Motor Jax

MBTI Type
INFJ
electrical, electronics, IT, etc etc

i love my tech field of expertise...

Lexlike

MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
4w5
And what about the infps here ? is law good for infp?? what career do infps approach??

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
And what about the infps here ? is law good for infp?? what career do infps approach??

INFP's always see things through rose colored glasses. they are the eternal optimist, though ironically, they are also attracted to sad things. when it comes to work, they have to do something that they enjoy. so in short, whatever floats their boat, though they might have to avoid things that may destroy their optimism too much. i think something like a writer, actor or the aforementioned types of lawyers could be good.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
S

Sniffles

If you want Isb, we could have a discussion about this in private. I too have a degree in law-related studies, and yes I too have many qualms about whether or not it's really the right path for me. Although other circumstances limit my prospects in this field as well.

whatusername

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I can't believe I only read this thread now.

When I joined TYpeC, I was studying for the bar. I just passed the bar a few months ago, and now I'm in a midsized firm, handling mostly litigation.

Litigation per se is fun for the INFJ, I think, mental/logical calisthenics and all. But the "trappings" of litigation (having to interact with a great number of people, and just being generally that close to human conflict), it's taxing on the soul. I think.

Ideally though, I want to work for an international NGO, with focus on human rights, political persecution and refugee rights. All in good time.

As for "happy INFJ lawyers," I wouldn't consider myself one of them (for now, at least.) I'm trying to gain enough experience to get into the kind of law I want to practice.

(Would love to know what happened, Isb. :) )

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm a teacher, but am frustrated with the system. I see either designing my own job and selling a division on their need for it, or getting involved in some other facet of education that would effect change.

eternal recurrence

MBTI Type
iNfj
Can more infj's respond to this thread. I'm really interested in other people's responses.
Myself - I work as a researcher (humanities/social sciences).

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
My career, was as a respite provider for families with mentally disabled children, I worked mostly with children with downs/autism, it was a very rewarding job, I only left it so I could come care for my mom, a late stage cancer patient, so now im working as a caregiver for a late stage cancer patient... the ironic thing is how similar the job is in many ways, shows you how similar many people can be, even those who cant communicate with the world in what is considered a normal way...

As far as your career choice in law goes, I dont know anything about it from personal experience, but it honestly sounds like it could be an incredibly interesting and potentially rewarding career if you find yourself the right niche...

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
public health / gender researcher / teaching assistant / data analyst

pinkteabag

MBTI Type
INFJ
Writer / Personal Support Worker (LTC and home care) / Mom / Ezine editor / Web Designer / Typewriter Repairer / Perpetual Student

Currently enrolled in a culinary course to become a cook, hopefully in a care facility of some sort. Am debating if I'll continue on to take nutritionist or dietician courses for specialty diets, or to get a bachelor's in gerontology.

Of course, none of these skills made me a lot, or any, money. Somehow all my million dollar ideas turn into charity work or are simply given away : /

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Birth doula, mother, counseling hopeful (after my children aren't so small).

The very thought of having to put myself out there as a lawyer exhausts me completely. I'd be a good one (I can be very convincing and good at laying things out well for people), but I'd fall into bed crying every day, for sure. :blush: Of course, the juncture of my life is pretty relationally taxing for me, anyway. I might feel differently in 10 years or so.