• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] What jobs do ye ENFP's do?

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
I LOVE anthropology! I would almost have done a PhD in anthropolgy. I finally choosed neuropsychology.

sickkkk

in reference to the topic...

I work for the Computer Science Corporation in the Database group. After I'm finished my Information Systems degree I'm going back for clinical psychology. ENFP's have an amazing ability to do whatever intrests them. But, what ENFP's are best at are topics that can keep your intrest. So do what you love with one condition...it MUST keep your intrest.

Mighty Mouse

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'm a corporate trainer for a large company and a part time life coach. I chose both of these fields because I love everything about them.

As a trainer, I get to learn all kinds of cool things, figure out ways of getting the information across, and then teaching it. I love being in the classroom.

As a life coach, I get to use my intuitive gifts and connecting talents as high as they will go in order to reach the real truths my clients hold hidden from sometimes even themselves. It's amazing work if you have the knack for it. Hard to come by but wonderful when it does.

Martian Manifesto

MBTI Type
INFJ
anyone know any ENFP writers? be it novels, childrens, fantasy, TV, commercial, screen play?

im curious how good of a career that would be for an ENFP:

1. would it be too lonely of a job? writing is often associated with introverts. would the fact that writers get to write ABOUT people, impersonate peoples dialogue/actions and the general study of people be enough to engage the ENFP?

2. similar to number 1, Ne can often be just as fascinated by ideas as well as people...i wonder if the idea of every story being different, (also with there being different genres) would be enough to keep the ENFP from getting bored?

im asking the above with the assumption that ENFP already knows that he likes to write in various story forms.

Try screenwriting. Screenwriters tend (gross generalization) to be more extroverted. Also, screenplays get "reworked" more than most other types of writing, based on a never ending series of client inputs (agent, producer, director, studio, actors, just before shooting, while shooting,etcv). This input is not appreciated by many screenwriters although they put up with it to do the business. Perhaps this would be ideal for an EFNP?

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Previous jobs I had..

Graphic Design

Loved- the ability to be creative. Guide clients to making better decisions on visual prints. (I HATE how people base 'good design' as something typical such as cut/paste 'clipart' into a layout with "Times New Roman" text--> yuk)... Large screen LCD, nice apple computer, fat paycheck.

Detested-Sitting behind the screen 40hrs/week... Office job routines bore me. Lack of genuine social interaction. When freelancing- negotiating contracts are the toughest parts when clients demand more than what they pay for.. Staring at the screen for too long made my visual acuity worse.

Pharmacy

Loved- working as a technician in training was okay; working with the people was better! Awesome group of employees. Friendly customers.

What bugged- Routineness. Health insurance companies (U.S.) who denied patients' medications. It really hurt to tell someone (especially those on heart meds, who were elderly/poor, like the bread delivery man who works his ass off) that they couldn't have coverage on their Rx's ANYMORE, that they were to pay $550 for a 28 day supply. I literally had an old man cry on me. I felt so baaadd.. Basically, I hate the current system. Where's the CARE in healthcare???

Volunteer Math Tutor
Loved- the inspired college students! I loved especially the older ones who couldn't afford an education in their earlier days, who now barely could. They really inspired me!

Disliked- nothing. It was a FUN job. Lot's of bright minds/thirsty learners.

Recommendations for ENFPs (from what I learned)- jobs that actually fit our value system. Personally for me, jobs that inspire me to do something beneficial for the greater good!

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Rumor has it that Charles Dickens, Mark Twain and Dr. Seuss are part of the tribe.

Charles Dickens - idk
Mark Twain - yes
Dr. Seuss - wouldn't suprise me

if you like writing, ENFP's can be phenominal writers.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I'm destined to become a bum since all of the ENFP jobs seem to be either out of my reach because I don't possess a natural talent (for art), or because I simply don't like most of them.

My natural talents, my area of "expertise" and my dream jobs are all in COMPLETELY different areas.

Mighty Mouse

MBTI Type
ENFP
What's important for an ENFP career is that whatever you choose is important to you. That it is a reflection of what holds meaning to you... That it somehow feels purposeful...

What are a couple of your ideal jobs? Why do they appeal to you?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
What's important for an ENFP career is that whatever you choose is important to you. That it is a reflection of what holds meaning to you... That it somehow feels purposeful...

What are a couple of your ideal jobs? Why do they appeal to you?

Game development. Because I love video games and the kind of experience they can represent. Nothing else really. But I don't really know anything about game development and my major is one a different wavelength as are my "natural talents" which might be the typical people-interaction, good communication skills ENFP deal.

Mighty Mouse

MBTI Type
ENFP
Have you looked into being a game developer? Have you looked for sites with game developer forums?

I can tell you that it's worth pursuing and finding out what is really involved in that industry if that is where your interests truly are. We are much more likely to succeed at something which we enjoy since we are motivated by our interest than to try to make it in something else just because it seems easier.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Have you looked into being a game developer? Have you looked for sites with game developer forums?

I can tell you that it's worth pursuing and finding out what is really involved in that industry if that is where your interests truly are. We are much more likely to succeed at something which we enjoy since we are motivated by our interest than to try to make it in something else just because it seems easier.

Yes, I'm pretty much aware of my options when it comes to game development. But you just hit the nail there - "if that is where your interests truly are" - I think it is, but I'm so lazy and it's such a demanding career path that I don't know if I'm cut out for it. It asks you to be the kind of person ENFPs aren't - obey your superiors, do a lot of extra hours, work in a freaking cubicle for hours on end, be very very focused (procrastination is not an option) etc etc

I used to think I could do anything, but as time goes by, I'm realizing I don't actually excel at anything, and am too much of a philosopher/bullshitter and not enough of a go-getter... :S

Mighty Mouse

MBTI Type
ENFP
So the actual job of being a developer does not appeal to you but there must be something about it or about something else that does interest you...

We all have interests we just may not know how they fit into a certain job type but that is something that can be figured out. The bottom line is that an ENFP needs to do ENFP things. That means being motivated intrinsically by what they do... if not, you are right, we don't show interest, we don't do the job, and we end up feeling like a loser at one level or another.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Making my life complicated...

Oh hang on you mean paid work right?

One I know used to work in IT, one still works doing website design and IT retail and the other is a security guard but used to valet cars...

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
So the actual job of being a developer does not appeal to you but there must be something about it or about something else that does interest you...

We all have interests we just may not know how they fit into a certain job type but that is something that can be figured out. The bottom line is that an ENFP needs to do ENFP things. That means being motivated intrinsically by what they do... if not, you are right, we don't show interest, we don't do the job, and we end up feeling like a loser at one level or another.

Yeah. And that is why I'm at a point in my life where it feels I'm in a dead-end. I couldn't hate college work more than I do right now and circumstances would have me become more of a loner lately....ENFP poison :doh:

Mighty Mouse

MBTI Type
ENFP
I understand perfectly.

I chose my current career a few years ago after getting to know myself inside and out. I left a good steady job to pursue what made me happy and now I am doing it.

ENFP need to do things that motivate them or they fizzle and get depressed. The good news is that when you do find whatever is for you, it will be an amazing experience.

stopandstare

MBTI Type
ENFP
Thanks for all the stories... I'm reading away with fascination!

I feel exactly like Sytpg at the moment... dazed and confused by my own lack of cohoesion when it comes to jobs. Although I would love to go back and study art to go on twards something like art teaching, guidance counselling and then Art Therapy... Oh the plan is there but the confidence is dwindling at this point - after getting it wrong so many times I am fearful of facing into this long, difficult road and getting it wrong all over again!

I don't know fully if I have the ability or stamina to follow this route... fortunatley I am going down a similar road as Mightymouse at the moment and seeking an entire life over haul with a counsellor... I'm telling you those people can really take you apart - I just hope she can put me back together again but this time as a functioning citizen lol! :blush:

Mighty Mouse

MBTI Type
ENFP
As someone who took myself apart and then put me back together, I can tell you that it is well worth it. I now am confident which I never was before. I know what I like what I don't I make no excuses or justifications for who I am and what I do.

My best advice to someone who thinks they know what they want as a career but aren't sure is two fold. One is find at least one person that already does what you are envisioning and ask them what it is actually like to do in reality. The ups the downs and the twists. Secondly, try to do something just like it somehow. For example, see if there is somewhere you can volunteer some time doing things that you would do in art therapy like working at a YMCA and working in their child care section. Start teaching kids how to do intentional art. See if you like the process.

What I can tell you for sure is that when you find whatever it is that makes you happy it will take work and dedication but you will wonder how you ever did anything else. It won't be drudgery anymore. It will feel right to you...

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
I understand perfectly.

I chose my current career a few years ago after getting to know myself inside and out. I left a good steady job to pursue what made me happy and now I am doing it.

ENFP need to do things that motivate them or they fizzle and get depressed. The good news is that when you do find whatever is for you, it will be an amazing experience.

I think for almost every person this can apply in a way, but probably more so for intuitives in general. I am much happier doing things I enjoy and challenge me in creative and allows me to solve major problems for example. I think maybe ENFP's may take longer finding what they really want to do long term due to Ne growth.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm in the military as Military Police, and I liked my job in Iraq doing and seeing all sorts of different things.. it got boring toward the end though. In my short lifespan I've done WAY too many different things! I get bored doing a routine when work comes, the WORST job I had someone would consider the best. I got paid 10$/hr guaranteed at least 40 hrs a week 9-5 job doing exactly this: putting invoices in alphabetical order and putting them in the proper files, moving old files to the back room, making labels, opening envelopes for my boss, catching the phone when EVERYONE else was gone, and occasionally typing in information. It was blind monkey work but I couldnt stand it and got quite depressed doing that stuff although it paid the bills quite well.

I like the job I'm doing right now. I'm getting paid by my parents to work around the house, remodel the house one room at a time, and such. There's no set schedule as long as shit gets done everyday, and I can choose whatever it is that needs doing. Like a maid I guess with a carpenter and painter mixed in as well.

I've done things from clearing land, washing cars, food service, busing tables, cashiering, etcetcetc. I think I might get into a job that requires physicality from now on though, since I hate sitting still. I gotta keep engaged or I get bored. I liked work to be busy though as much as I tend to bitch about it in the moment.

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Game development. Because I love video games and the kind of experience they can represent. Nothing else really. But I don't really know anything about game development and my major is one a different wavelength as are my "natural talents" which might be the typical people-interaction, good communication skills ENFP deal.

What a coincidence:
I'm a sophomore in college going into game development, not sure whether i want to go for a bachelors in computer science or computer information systems, as both of them can pertain to videogame creation (computer science being more on the programming side of the spectrum)