User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    eNFp
    Enneagram

who cares what you do as long as you are not destitute, try your best, know your limits, do what is within your range, stay positive, and don't demoralize yourself in the process.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

* Are you fascinated by something different every week?
    * Does the thought of concentrating on one topic, skill or job for the rest of your life horrify you?
    * Do you start lots of projects but rarely finish any of them?
    * Does trying to choose between all your interests stress you out?
    * Are you currently reading 5, 10 or even more books?

Ha! all of the above but i am getting much better at the finishing of projects or at least merging them into other ones. I find keeping projects short helps.
    Reading many books at the same time yes yes yes
    My work
    A desk job to me seems the most awful of all jobs to have, in saying that it would be ok part-time for a very short time maybe depending on various factors.
    I have had zillions of jobs working for other people and the longest one was for 7 months, usually between 1-3 months. Dental nurse, waitress, restaurant manager, commis chef, bar manager, it dept assistant (most boring), printing assistant, admin assistant, warehouse packer (not as bad as it seems), functions co-ordinator assistant, stylist assistant, fashion retail assistant, machinist (sewing), business advisor (yes! it was fun), accounts manager (for several small businesses), bit parts and feature parts for various music videos adverts and programs ....and many more that i can't remember off the top of my head.
    These days...
    I am my own boss and make it as ethical as i can make it. I also do voluntary work and in the past have set up mini voluntary organisations. I also occaisionally have walk on or bit parts which adds a little variation.
    I work (and study at times) from home as i have children with special needs and special education needs (hate those labels) and it best suits all of us. Plus i love being with my children and wouldn't want them to be in childcare from 8-6 how horrifying, school is enough.
    I'm not a money orientated person, as long as i have food in our fridge, a roof over our heads and can pay the bills i'm pretty much happy, although my partner is very money orientated and i have to compromise a little. I live in a country where there are many privaleges and opportunities and consider myself very, very lucky.
    And blessed
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Army View Post
    Why did you sciencey ENFPs pick your current careers? What about the job you have now appeals to you the most?
    I want to understand everything. I did engineering first and I learnt how to problem solve and design things, but it still felt too limited. I took up physics because I wanted to look deeper; it was nice to know how, but I needed to know why. I really like physics. The structure of science and research these days is murdering that though. I think I make less of a fuss than most about it, but I think ENFPs might have more trouble going A,B,C,D and following set routines than any other type. It's like they clip my wings then ask me to fly, and I end up feeling stupid as a result.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

garbage

There seem to be a lot more ENFP in the sciences than in the arts! Who'da thunk?

Why did you sciencey ENFPs pick your current careers? What about the job you have now appeals to you the most?
    See also: this and this

Lazy quote-response:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Eyebrows View Post
    I work in research, so I touch on all kinds of science all over the place. Most of my hard science experience is in space physics and electrophysics. Overall, though, I'm more into the soft sciences.. especially psychology, economics, linguistics, artificial intelligence, cognitive science, and neuroscience.

I've also been into computer programming since I can remember, and my Ph.D. curriculum is about half computer science courses. However, I'm more interested in computer programming as a means to an end--playing around in software is an excellent way to see creative ideas and "what-if" scenarios come to life--not because I'm actually interested in algorithmic computer science in and of itself. Most of my interests happen to align with what many computer science courses touch on, though.
    Right now, a huge portion of my research is in medicine (nursing) and ethics.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by stopandstare View Post

I'd just like to know what all you ENFP's out there are doing and do you like your careers?

Cheers...
    Mi madre got her degree in Elementary Ed and hated it and never worked at a school a day in her life outside of her Student Teaching. Then she went to medical school, but dropped out to raise me.

Now, she's a nurse. I think she would like it more if she wasn't a Type 3 - I think it's hard for her to be on the lower rungs of an industry when her real desire is to be at the top.

But, that aside, she likes it.

I'm in the Oil & Gas industry - mostly administrative and HR - but I'm also in school to be a Nurse Practitioner, and hopefully going into research once I have the experience. I also gave up the medical school route to have kids...

The circle of life.

~*79% Extraverted*~
    ~*74% iNtuition*~
    ~*74% Feeling*~
    ~*58% Judging*~

Enneagram Type: SX 3w2

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by stopandstare View Post
    Hi All,

I am in the middle of a career crisis... yet again... I'm 27 and have just reached breaking point with yet another career... I've kinda had it because I'd like to start making a life for myself at this point but all my moving around has made me a little unstable!

I'm gonna go see a guidance counsellor but I'd like to be armed with some info from you guys too... because I am a through and through ENFP and seem to need some kind of ideal state of a job that doesn't seem to exist!

I'd just like to know what all you ENFP's out there are doing and do you like your careers?

Cheers...
    I'm going the doctor route. Med school is NOT for me. It's a crap load of rote memorization, and cramming is a sure way to fail (and incidently the way I study best). However, the end point is the only carreer for me (interesting, challenging, people-oriented, dynamic, and I'm my own boss).

ENFPs tend to be process people, and it's likely that the time it will take and how hard it will be to get there have influenced your decisions. Factor those out. Soul search and find a job that will leave you feeling fulfilled on your death bed. Then, after thinking it through, just DO IT. Otherwise, you'll bounce from carreer to carreer and be good at it, but never reach your full potential.

It's also good to have someone who believes in you and is good at contingency planning. They will encourage you to follow through, and help you with the practical planning. Bonne chance!

"OMG I FEEEEEEEEEL SO INTENSELY ABOUT EVERYTHING OMG OMG OMG GET ME A XANAX" -Priam (ENFP impersonation)

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    . Otherwise, you'll bounce from carreer to carreer and be good at it, but never reach your full potential.

It's also good to have someone who believes in you and is good at contingency planning. They will encourage you to follow through, and help you with the practical planning. Bonne chance!
    I think NFs in general tend to be bouncers. There's always something better, or easier, or more fulfilling, or more of a challenge, or more flexible, or more anything...

I, quite literally, changed my major seven times in undergrad. Not because any of it was difficult, but because something else seemed more (insert whatever), or the path seemed to be full of resistance.

~*79% Extraverted*~
    ~*74% iNtuition*~
    ~*74% Feeling*~
    ~*58% Judging*~

Enneagram Type: SX 3w2

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

There seem to be a lot more ENFP in the sciences than in the arts! Who'da thunk?

Ha! I have 4 years of research experience at 2 Universities. Science is well suited to ENFPs because it's cerebral and looks to the unknown. Personally, I'm far more an artist than a scientist. My greatest joy in life is music, painting, and dancing, but I wouldn't want to do it for a living. Being a physician is a happy medium. It's science, art, and service. Best of all, I get to do art not out of necessity (to make money), but out of desire and love. I can also do research on the side. Win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by hermeticdancer View Post
    who cares what you do as long as you are not destitute, try your best, know your limits, do what is within your range, stay positive, and don't demoralize yourself in the process.
    Limits? What limits? Within my range? What the hell are you talking about?!?! DON'T LIMIT ME, DAMN IT!!!

"OMG I FEEEEEEEEEL SO INTENSELY ABOUT EVERYTHING OMG OMG OMG GET ME A XANAX" -Priam (ENFP impersonation)

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    The structure of science and research these days is murdering that though. I think I make less of a fuss than most about it, but I think ENFPs might have more trouble going A,B,C,D and following set routines than any other type. It's like they clip my wings then ask me to fly, and I end up feeling stupid as a result.
    As though I had written it...

I have more to say but I will have to post later...