User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Junior Member CheekyIrishTinker's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP

Default eenie meenie minee mo....

Hey fellow ENFP's

I'm a newbie to this forum but I'm so glad I found this thread as my main issue has always been what job to take next and although I always identify with the suggested careers/jobs suggested by profiles it's just so goddamn hard to choose one as a main career path etc!

For anyone who hasn't already come across Barbara Sher and specifically her book - Refuse To Choose (or sometimes 'What do I do when I want to do Everything?) I would highly recommend it - if only to see in print what you've always suspected about yourself and hated justifying to everyone in your life!

Basically as an ENFP I really identify with her 'Scanner' identity...

Are You A Scanner?
    Is this you?

* Are you fascinated by something different every week?
    * Does the thought of concentrating on one topic, skill or job for the rest of your life horrify you?
    * Do you start lots of projects but rarely finish any of them?
    * Does trying to choose between all your interests stress you out?
    * Are you currently reading 5, 10 or even more books?

Then you are a scanner.

The term was chosen by US life and careers coach Barbara Sher and written about in her recent book What Do I Do When I Want to Do Everything? - A revolutionary program for doing everything that you love.

I'm by no means an expert from what I've read so far about ENFP I really think we are scanners! The great thing about this book is that there isn't just one type of scanner - in fact there are about 6 or 7 but the one I most definitely clicked with is the 'Jack of all Trades' as my main goal in life is just to be happy

I don't know bout the rest of you but I just have way too many interests/ideas/obsessions to just pick one and become an expert - it always feels like you're missing out if you pick one over another.

I'm definitely pleased that I've tried so many of my different interests out as income providers and I think that the only way forward for me is to have what I guess you could call a portfolio career - a few different income streams, all of which I love and would give me the variety and fulfillment that have always been my top priorities in working life and also let me keep my other interests as things I just do for me for fun.

One of the best things about the book was the notion that you don;t have to make a living from all your interests - just figure out which ones need to fill your day and ideally bring in the mula and keep the rest for enjoyment only.

Anyway, I've already written way more than I ever intended - I guess i find it easier to ramble on when it's something I'm interested in as opposed to talking about myself specifically.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone identify with ideas here or have read the book etc?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Scanner/Make-up artist/Astrologer/Cupcake maker-Seller/cook/watercolour painter/artist/counsellor/careworker/go-to girl/organiser extraordinaire/administrator/system creator/teacher

PS Just found this link which might help anyone who wants a bit more info or starting point to learn more!

Are You a Scanner? By Barbara Sher
    Last edited by CheekyIrishTinker; 02-07-2009 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Found a link after posting!

MBTI
    ENFP

I work in marketing of higher education around the world. It's mindless and not creative but involves people and A LOT of travel (just came back from Saudi Arabia 3 days ago and off to China in 5 days). I thought it would be perfect as it's fast, environment changes every day, new people... But after 1.5 years in it, I've had it. Not enough intellectual stimulation, very superficial - I develop 1 hour relationshipsand never see these people again). The travel is good as I've been to places I never would have considered before but it is exhausting to wake up in hotels 75% of the year. I think I need to develop some roots and slow down.
    So looking for a new direction.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I work as a receptionist/secretary. Seems to be the job I always land. I'm not perfect for it though, I admit. But I manage. I can handle all the people, enjoy the company, don't mind doing the work, but suck at keeping an oversight. An ESFP would be a lot better at it. But it keeps me employed while I work toward my goal of becoming an animal behaviorist, and eventually a human behaviorist maybe..
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    EN?P
    Enneagram

I am an animator.

I started off as a painter, then I majored in film (with an education minor because I also wanted to teach elementary school) and now I'm animating because it reconciles all three!

I'm doing physics at the moment. Looking to move into something more art related; I'm a bit scienced out. I love it all in concept, and could do it as a hobby, but doing it as a job is a bit low people contact and low excitement. Makes me feel that trapped and need freedom thing a lot.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Biochemistry BS, Biophysics PHD dropout. Lots of lab jobs during school.

lab scientist for 2 years, Technical Trainer for 1 year, technical marketing for 1.5 years.

MBTI
    EN?P
    Enneagram

There seem to be a lot more ENFP in the sciences than in the arts! Who'da thunk?

Why did you sciencey ENFPs pick your current careers? What about the job you have now appeals to you the most?

MBTI
    ENFP

I'm still in high school, but I work part-time running graphics at church. I don't enjoy it, but I'm fairly good at it--it's all understanding a system then altering bits and pieces to get particular ends. The problem is that it's a simple system, so I generally read the entire time I'm working.

I worked in general TV production for a summer, and I did a good job at that too; again, it was the ability to analyze a system and compare it to the ends it is supposed to accomplish, as well as verbal/writing skills, that helped me out. That was more exciting and enjoyable, because I got to create and present advertising ideas, analyze others' perspectives and needs in meetings, and interface a lot with people to organize interviews and the like. But I did get bogged down when I had to work on my own; I was much better with someone else in the room to bounce ideas off of, even if it was just saying something out loud and catching the error myself.

But ultimately, theater really satisfies my ENFPness: close interaction with people (every cast is a family), abundant opportunity for Ne (it's just like using Ne to understand a person, only the "person" is a character made of words on a page), and I find in singing and dancing a way to practice more sensory skills without totally boring myself to death, because it's sensing in the service of feeling/intuition. And theater naturally attracts people who are as insane as I am!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I have a mechanical engineering degree but stayed home with my kids. The cleaning, laundry and cooking get really boring so I struggle with that. I now work online as a contractor in photoshop and acting and that helps break it up. (still a stay at home mom)

MBTI
    eNFp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Yes, I'm pretty much aware of my options when it comes to game development. But you just hit the nail there - "if that is where your interests truly are" - I think it is, but I'm so lazy and it's such a demanding career path that I don't know if I'm cut out for it. It asks you to be the kind of person ENFPs aren't - obey your superiors, do a lot of extra hours, work in a freaking cubicle for hours on end, be very very focused (procrastination is not an option) etc etc

I used to think I could do anything, but as time goes by, I'm realizing I don't actually excel at anything, and am too much of a philosopher/bullshitter and not enough of a go-getter... :S
    Amen