User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mouse View Post
    Have you looked into being a game developer? Have you looked for sites with game developer forums?

I can tell you that it's worth pursuing and finding out what is really involved in that industry if that is where your interests truly are. We are much more likely to succeed at something which we enjoy since we are motivated by our interest than to try to make it in something else just because it seems easier.
    Yes, I'm pretty much aware of my options when it comes to game development. But you just hit the nail there - "if that is where your interests truly are" - I think it is, but I'm so lazy and it's such a demanding career path that I don't know if I'm cut out for it. It asks you to be the kind of person ENFPs aren't - obey your superiors, do a lot of extra hours, work in a freaking cubicle for hours on end, be very very focused (procrastination is not an option) etc etc

I used to think I could do anything, but as time goes by, I'm realizing I don't actually excel at anything, and am too much of a philosopher/bullshitter and not enough of a go-getter... :S

MBTI
    ENFP

So the actual job of being a developer does not appeal to you but there must be something about it or about something else that does interest you...

We all have interests we just may not know how they fit into a certain job type but that is something that can be figured out. The bottom line is that an ENFP needs to do ENFP things. That means being motivated intrinsically by what they do... if not, you are right, we don't show interest, we don't do the job, and we end up feeling like a loser at one level or another.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Making my life complicated...

Oh hang on you mean paid work right?

One I know used to work in IT, one still works doing website design and IT retail and the other is a security guard but used to valet cars...
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ISFJ

So the actual job of being a developer does not appeal to you but there must be something about it or about something else that does interest you...

We all have interests we just may not know how they fit into a certain job type but that is something that can be figured out. The bottom line is that an ENFP needs to do ENFP things. That means being motivated intrinsically by what they do... if not, you are right, we don't show interest, we don't do the job, and we end up feeling like a loser at one level or another.
    Yeah. And that is why I'm at a point in my life where it feels I'm in a dead-end. I couldn't hate college work more than I do right now and circumstances would have me become more of a loner lately....ENFP poison

MBTI
    ENFP

I understand perfectly.

I chose my current career a few years ago after getting to know myself inside and out. I left a good steady job to pursue what made me happy and now I am doing it.

ENFP need to do things that motivate them or they fizzle and get depressed. The good news is that when you do find whatever is for you, it will be an amazing experience.

MBTI
    ENFP

Thanks for all the stories... I'm reading away with fascination!

I feel exactly like Sytpg at the moment... dazed and confused by my own lack of cohoesion when it comes to jobs. Although I would love to go back and study art to go on twards something like art teaching, guidance counselling and then Art Therapy... Oh the plan is there but the confidence is dwindling at this point - after getting it wrong so many times I am fearful of facing into this long, difficult road and getting it wrong all over again!

I don't know fully if I have the ability or stamina to follow this route... fortunatley I am going down a similar road as Mightymouse at the moment and seeking an entire life over haul with a counsellor... I'm telling you those people can really take you apart - I just hope she can put me back together again but this time as a functioning citizen lol!

MBTI
    ENFP

As someone who took myself apart and then put me back together, I can tell you that it is well worth it. I now am confident which I never was before. I know what I like what I don't I make no excuses or justifications for who I am and what I do.

My best advice to someone who thinks they know what they want as a career but aren't sure is two fold. One is find at least one person that already does what you are envisioning and ask them what it is actually like to do in reality. The ups the downs and the twists. Secondly, try to do something just like it somehow. For example, see if there is somewhere you can volunteer some time doing things that you would do in art therapy like working at a YMCA and working in their child care section. Start teaching kids how to do intentional art. See if you like the process.

What I can tell you for sure is that when you find whatever it is that makes you happy it will take work and dedication but you will wonder how you ever did anything else. It won't be drudgery anymore. It will feel right to you...

MBTI
    INTJ

I understand perfectly.

I chose my current career a few years ago after getting to know myself inside and out. I left a good steady job to pursue what made me happy and now I am doing it.

ENFP need to do things that motivate them or they fizzle and get depressed. The good news is that when you do find whatever is for you, it will be an amazing experience.
    I think for almost every person this can apply in a way, but probably more so for intuitives in general. I am much happier doing things I enjoy and challenge me in creative and allows me to solve major problems for example. I think maybe ENFP's may take longer finding what they really want to do long term due to Ne growth.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I'm in the military as Military Police, and I liked my job in Iraq doing and seeing all sorts of different things.. it got boring toward the end though. In my short lifespan I've done WAY too many different things! I get bored doing a routine when work comes, the WORST job I had someone would consider the best. I got paid 10$/hr guaranteed at least 40 hrs a week 9-5 job doing exactly this: putting invoices in alphabetical order and putting them in the proper files, moving old files to the back room, making labels, opening envelopes for my boss, catching the phone when EVERYONE else was gone, and occasionally typing in information. It was blind monkey work but I couldnt stand it and got quite depressed doing that stuff although it paid the bills quite well.

I like the job I'm doing right now. I'm getting paid by my parents to work around the house, remodel the house one room at a time, and such. There's no set schedule as long as shit gets done everyday, and I can choose whatever it is that needs doing. Like a maid I guess with a carpenter and painter mixed in as well.

I've done things from clearing land, washing cars, food service, busing tables, cashiering, etcetcetc. I think I might get into a job that requires physicality from now on though, since I hate sitting still. I gotta keep engaged or I get bored. I liked work to be busy though as much as I tend to bitch about it in the moment.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Game development. Because I love video games and the kind of experience they can represent. Nothing else really. But I don't really know anything about game development and my major is one a different wavelength as are my "natural talents" which might be the typical people-interaction, good communication skills ENFP deal.
    What a coincidence:
    I'm a sophomore in college going into game development, not sure whether i want to go for a bachelors in computer science or computer information systems, as both of them can pertain to videogame creation (computer science being more on the programming side of the spectrum)

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"