User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why do some thinkers demonize feelers

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • They are emotionally immature.

58 31.18%
  • They just don't understand how feelers make decisions.

90 48.39%
  • They confuse emotion with the MBTI definition of feeler.

96 51.61%
  • They have an irrational fear of empathy.

27 14.52%
  • They lack social skills.

28 15.05%
  • They're big meanies!

38 20.43%
  • Feelers are simply better at resolving conflict and dealing with their emotions

10 5.38%
  • Feelers demonize thinkers in private instead of openly.

25 13.44%
  • I'm a feeler and I think feelers suck too.

10 5.38%
  • Other.

39 20.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 122021222324 Last

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I've often reflected on the fact that no perfectly, or universally satisfying words can be found for the functions. Someone will always complain that they sound wrong in one way or another, and those who rely on connotation are especially difficult to satisfy.

But I did come up with one idea that I at least think is better than Thinking and Feeling, which are highly ambiguous. My idea was that it might be better to call them Logic and Ethic. Logical and Ethical. Of all the words I could think of, none seemed to more closely match the definitions of Thinking and Feeling than logic and ethic. It is what the two functions principally deal with.
    I partially agree. I think the designation should be logic and emotion. Let me explain:

I use logic and emotion to check how my thought process jibes with my values, and also how they fit together. Feelings/Values/Logic are the three components of desicion making (I am referring to decisions about human based problems, not simple logical problems). The best decision is emotionally satisfying, reasonable and supports my values. They will never be in perfect balance, but that imbalance is a signal to go back and reassess.
    I think that feelers may short-change the logical part of the process in deference to support of values and emotion, thinkers leave out emotions. These omissions can be obvious to the intelligent observer, because it will seem that something has been omitted, or that something else has entered into the equation; hence the frequent sense that there is another motivation involved that is beyond those three parameters.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Simple lack of understanding "the other" is always the dominant reason why people have prejudice against someone who is different than they are.

However, I think that there are a variety of reasons why different individuals would demonize feelers. Some really are immature or emotionally undeveloped. I was surprised how many Ts had extremely low scores on the EQ test. I'm not saying some EQ test on the Intertardz is the best tool to gauge these things, but there were too many Ts with scores below 90 or it to be a coincidence.

Others are just insecure, and try to throw their intellect around as if it's some proof of their manhood (or womanhood) like a pissing contest.

Some really buy into the stereotypes: I actually witnessed someone in a thread today quip that anything feelers say should be taken with a grain of salt because our thinking is "instinctual" at best. The irony in an arrogant T making that glaring error of a statement speaks for itself.

Still others might just be...you know, kidding. Some Ts are probably just joking around.

Not all Ts are like this, it goes without saying. I'm sure much of it is good natured joshing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

The idea that feeling always equals emotions to some people bothers me. My reasoning process does not feel "emotional". When I feel emotional, I recognize it and don't just run with it. I can think, "I may feel this way, but logically I know that is true".

I am an emotional person, yes, but I am not totally run by emotions, and I think Feeling is a much more refined and complex function than simply feeling "happy" or "angry" or whatever.

I would say that thinkers use logic and feelers use discernment. One is sort of black & white, and the other is colored, and each has its advantages in reasoning out what is true and what is false.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

garbage

Feeling is not correlated with Neuroticism

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    Feeling has nothing to do with emotions.

Banned
    MBTI
    type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

My only issue with feelers is that it can be frightening when your attempts to lead them come up with opposite results.

MBTI
    INFX
    Socionics
    IEI

Just voted "They confuse emotion with the MBTI definition of feeler" and "I'm a feeler and I think feelers suck too" (making sure to answer the question as well as assert my own opinion on feelers). I prefer feelers on paper, but thinkers in reality. All the manuals and stuff out there say INFPs should hate thinkers, constantly get hurt by them, and get along the best with ENFJs for romance and other introspective INFPs for everything else. While I'm like that sometimes, I generally like to be with thinkers, we are more comfortable in each other's heads than if we were just mirrors of each other.

Also pointing out, it's not as if there is a clearly defined boundary in MBTI explanations between extraversion and feeling.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    The idea that feeling always equals emotions to some people bothers me. My reasoning process does not feel "emotional". When I feel emotional, I recognize it and don't just run with it. I can think, "I may feel this way, but logically I know that is true".

I am an emotional person, yes, but I am not totally run by emotions, and I think Feeling is a much more refined and complex function than simply feeling "happy" or "angry" or whatever.

I would say that thinkers use logic and feelers use discernment. One is sort of black & white, and the other is colored, and each has its advantages in reasoning out what is true and what is false.
    I agree and I think you've nailed the difference. I was trying to explain this to a former lover who is a T but I couldn't find the words to explain the F function in a way he could understand. He doesn't see how feeling and intuition can be used to make a decision because facts are everything to him.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

I think it's because they don't understand how feelers make decisions. It's not like I don't think - I just feel too. Some thinkers seem to confuse thinking with intellect, but feelers are not unintelligent.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Because the primary use of non quantizable and non standardized items in the process of decision making spells 666 in numerology. We're onto you.

*votes 'because they're big meaning*
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE