• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Why Immature F-ers give me the creeps?

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
Love this thread. :D

People who manage to convince themselves they're 100% unemotional and objective tend to get blindsided in the most spectacular ways.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
The emotionality in this reply of yours above rivals any sign off any feeler has ever posted here. Do you have a curl in the middle of your forehead and did you stamp your foot as it posted? :devil:

You don't even know the functions and yet you think you've got iron clad theories on the differences between Feelers and Thinkers. You're a hoot!

LOL, How'd ya think I'd fare if I went over on INTPc and posted a lot of asumptions about INTP's in flip, insulting terms and then posted the little guy behind the wall? Think that would excuse me from facing up to the firestorm of being set straight on it?

You DO want special treatment, constantly coming on, posting and then saying "Oh don't pick part what I say, I am posting this rushed!" "Oh I don't understand the functions"

Why do you deserve such special treatment as to have your rudeness and ignorance on type theory excused?
boom! headshot!

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX
And this is why you're the Feeler and I'm the Thinker here.

Hmmm, I dunno. When I was dating my INTJ husband, we had the most terrible time deciding what to do together. He would always throw out ridiculous options as a joke and make me choose the real option. Thinkers can actually be complicated critters.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And I think if the mods are willing this thread can be closed, or fluffed. ^_^

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
BW: in response to my posts, all you've done is rehash the same old definition of logic over and over again in different iterations. But you've not provided defeaters.

I also like how you skipped over everything to do with quantum physics, the actual details of the "age" problem...

whatever...

Earnestly, I do not understand what your message is concerning the definition of logic?

I explained why it is defined this way. Perhaps the part I have left out was that we know that we have laws of thought because we are able to explain how things work based on objective principles. It is not a whim. As for example, based on what we know about the laws of reasoning we could discover that an apple fell because it was dropped from altitude. It is not an arbitrary occurence as we know for the law of gravity to be a property of nature.

If there is no logic, then we have no reliable way of knowing how anything happens to all. Yet noone could persuasively argue for this thesis. I could go on to refute it, but I doubt this is necessary as those who'd request a refutation would be in greater need of help than in argument.

I did not understand the relevance of quantum physics to the essence of logic and practical applications. Help me out.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Do you realize how many value judgments you made against people who make value judgments? If not, I bolded them for you.

I think value judgments are okay as long as we have a sound rationale behind them. Being ruled by emotions and making value judgments on whim tends to be responsible for most problems cited by ThatGirl.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think value judgments are okay as long as we have a sound rationale behind them. Being ruled by emotions and making value judgments on whim tends to be responsible for most problems cited by ThatGirl.

This is something I can be entirely on board with... but this approach doesn't gel well with your other, more definitive remarks on the worthlessness of value-judgment... (how can one really value something which is a necessary entity?)...

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This is something I can be entirely on board with... but this approach doesn't gel well with your other, more definitive remarks on the worthlessness of value-judgment... (how can one really value something which is a necessary entity?)...

Where does it say that value judgments are altogether worthless?

Unaccomodated by dispassionate reasoning they may be, as then they are but torrential emotions.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I am saying that when strength and control of emotion is achieved you have the ability to feel what you want when you want most of the time excluding extreme circumstance. Then you choose not to dwell on negative emotion longer than necessary for it to spark the thought process that fixes the situation. Your emotions become independent of external circumstance and that which might bother most and lead a situation to spiral out of control is dismissed because it doesn't really matter.

If you are talking about creating inner calm, yes, it is possible, but the feelings don't go away completely. If they are not too bad, they will go to your dreams or something like that, but still, it takes time for the unconscious to process them. On the other hand, if they are intense, they can cause real damage. Trauma, uncontrollable behavior and so on...

Fast forward to later that night just ENFJ and I are hanging out and I said something can't remember what. She says "see that's why I was so pissed off earlier" at which point I was done.

If this girl would set her feelings aside and observe herself from the outside in she could work on what she needed to do to get out of the situation that is eating her up inside. But instead she harbors unpredictable emotions that constantly interfere with her objective.

This is what the people mean with "immature".

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I am saying that when strength and control of emotion is achieved you have the ability to feel what you want when you want most of the time excluding extreme circumstance. Then you choose not to dwell on negative emotion longer than necessary for it to spark the thought process that fixes the situation. Your emotions become independent of external circumstance and that which might bother most and lead a situation to spiral out of control is dismissed because it doesn't really matter.

Am I the only one who thinks this is more an F goal than a T goal, T goals being about understanding, F's about harmony?

Sounds like seeking emotional harmony to me.

The main problem with these "anti-F" threads is that everyone seems to have their own definition of each function.

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX
If you are talking about creating inner calm, yes, it is possible, but the feelings don't go away completely. If they are not too bad, they will go to your dreams or something like that, but still, it takes time for the unconscious to process them. On the other hand, if they are intense, they can cause real damage. Trauma, uncontrollable behavior and so on...

One way to accept emotions and process them while remaining calm is to regard them as passing clouds and use the observing part of your mind to watch them float by.

This of course will not necessarily work with extreme emotions or under states of extreme mental and/or physical stress. After I had my baby, I went through a few days where any emotion I was feeling did not pass quickly. It stayed and stayed. My emotions all felt slow and sticky and to take forever to clear. That whole time, however, I was severely sleep deprived and was often going without food and water when I was hungry and thirsty as well. Yet I was still taking care of my infant and never letting him cry longer than a few seconds. So I hardly think my emotional state made me either selfish or immature.

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX
Where does it say that value judgments are altogether worthless?

Unaccomodated by dispassionate reasoning they may be, as then they are but torrential emotions.

I have never understood what is so bad about either feeling or expressing emotions, torrential or not. You seem to regard emotions as some sort of poison. People should care about how they affect other people, including how their expression of emotion affects other people. They should also be as rational as necessary in the situation to achieve their goal or make their decision, and the importance of being so is proportional to the importance of the goal or decision.

But not every goal or decision is important. Not all human activities have to be goal oriented. It is not necessary to be rational all the time. It is not necessary to be unemotional all the time. Just as it is not necessary to be serious all the time. Just as it is not necessary to be mature all the time.

Certainly, encourage people to be as mature and unemotional and serious and rational as it takes, but why go beyond that or insist that everyone else goes beyond that? Or are you insisting that? You seem to be.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
It is not necessary to be rational all the time. It is not necessary to be unemotional all the time. Just as it is not necessary to be serious all the time. Just as it is not necessary to be mature all the time.

Amen to that :yes: This is maybe the biggest question mark for me when a thinker insists that feelings are bad. Why do I need to be cool? Most of the time there's no reason to be objective. (That doesn't mean I explode on everyone's faces though..)

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
And, that still isn't justification for F to dictate your decisions. So why?

I think you're right about immature Feelers being selfish when justifying his or her decisions based on emotion. I'll use myself as an example:

Today at work, I was folding clothes. I was asked to fold scarves, which was something I had never done before, and when I was given the picture instructions, I looked at the wrong directions. At first I was confused and asked my manager, but she just sort of blew me off, so I decided to fold them my own way. This took me quite a while to do, and about half way through the task, the district manager commented on the amount of time it was taking me to finish. I was so furious! How dare she say that to ME?! I felt she was being mean and unfair because she didn't know the full situation. The rest of the day, I was moody and considered back talking or storming out of the store. Of course, I didn't because I later realized that her criticism justifiable.

So, how does this relate to your question. I think it supports your idea that immature feelers, in order to become "better" more mature people, need to learn to handle being so sensitive. However, I don't think that means that the Feeling preference should be collectively dismissed by people. Here's another scenario to help explain why:

In some parts of the US, bestiality is forbidden because animals supposedly do not have the ability to consent to sex with humans. Going on the same logic, shouldn't humans stop eating meat since slaughtering animals since it also mistreats animals? They cannot consent to being killed and we have the means to survive without their meat.

So, logically, we have two options: Stop eating meat or legalize bestiality. Perhaps, you do think bestiality should be legal. To each his own, right? In the end, there is no definite answer (as far as I can see.) However, I think it is the dominate Feeling preference that decides to give animals, and other humans, their inaliable "rights." The objective goal of the Feeling preference is to create a world of compassion and harmony. The best means by which that should be accomplished has been debated by Feelers and Thinkers since humans could think and feel! However, a world without those Feelers setting "rights" that are emotionally based might be too unforgiving for Thinkers -- or it would be, at least, really cut throat and worse than today's world.

Anyway, I don't think this really help much, but well . . . there it is for you anyway :violin:

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
In the USA, bestiality is forbidden because animals supposedly do not have the ability to consent to sex with humans.

actually it is legal in some usa states. it should be illegal. disgusting for sure.

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
actually it is legal in some usa states. it should be illegal.

orly!? my friend told me Denmark has no laws against bestiality, but I'm too lazy to check. anyway, i edited my post to reflect your knowledgeeee.

disgusting for sure.

But someone else may not think it's so digusting. Also, some think eating meat is disgusting. So why is one illegal and the other not? How is that justifiable, fair, etc?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
First of all don't be offended by the title I just thought it was funny.

F people creep me out. I don't understand them. I see making decisions off of your feelings as selfish and irrisponsible. The worst excuse ever, "I felt like it", like that matters. If people justify their actions according to their feelings where is the line that says what you were feeling is wrong. It seems immature. How is putting your feelings on someone else productive to anything? Where is the self control? You cant argue against what someone is feeling and asking someone to take your feelings into account is like asking them to cater unobjectively to you.

I am not trying to make people mad here I am trying to understand. What makes you all tick?
I think you can argue against what someone is feeling if it is a misplaced feeling, a choice to indulge destructively, or based on a misunderstanding of a current situation. If a person's feelings result from faulty perception or re-visiting past experiences, then there are at least a couple of ways to "argue against" the feeling.

First, it can be addressed through analysis. By taking time to understand the cause of the emotion, one can better address whether or not it is an appropriate and constructive response. A mature person does this for him/herself or at least responds readily when it is pointed out. For example, say a person was cheated on by their ex. In their new relationship they respond with feelings of misplaced jealousy and mistrust. One way to argue against that emotion is to analyze its source and determine that it does not fit the current situation. Then the person can see it as an artifact and it loses some of its power.

A second way to argue against emotion is to address it on an emotional level. The person, either on their own volition or with help from a friend, rehearses the new, better emotion. For example, take the same person who was cheated on. The new partner can "argue against" the negative response by creating an accepting environment where the result of the negative emotion has a different result. By reinforcing feelings of security and trust, the scarred person can gradually form new habits of feeling. If the individual has the strength and maturity to deal with it alone, then they must choose to create a more positive environment through constructive thinking and indulging the senses in whatever provides that better feeling, or making choices that will produce better results and emotional habits.

It is difficult to underestimate the importance of arguing against negative emotions. There are few other ways to hone inner strength.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
orly!? my friend told me Denmark has no laws against bestiality, but I'm too lazy to check. anyway, i edited my post to reflect your knowledgeeee.

But someone else may not think it's so digusting. Also, some think eating meat is disgusting. So why is one illegal and the other not? How is that justifiable, fair, etc?

yeah, in the end, its just what the masses think.

if u were going to harp on the hypocrisies of the world, it would take up all your time man. LOL

heart

heart on fire
Isn't part of the reason Bestiality is illegal is because of the treating of a sex partner like a powerless object? I think many people think it just sets up a mindset that seems easy to move on to with small children, mentally disabled and elderly with dementia.

I think most people assume slaughter is done scientifically and with as little pain as possible whereas sexually abusing an animal is not and very cruel to the animal. (whether it is true or not)

I think this is the most off the wall thread derail I've seen here yet. :shock:

redacted

why are people even arguing? immature Fs suck. it's true. (immature Ts do too.)

a sidenote: i've been thinking about it for a while, and i actually think most people, whether thinkers or feelers, use the Thinking function more than the Feeling function. there's a lot more work to be done with true/false answers than with good/bad answers. it seems like one Feeling would probably inspire multiple Thinkings. the threshold line for T or F is probably at something like 3:1...

in actuality, though, the threshold couldn't even be defined by a ratio, as there is no reason the middle two functions have to be used in any sort of set order... which would mean that there are plenty of Fs that can use Thinking more productively than Ts (and Ts that can use Feeling more productively than Fs).

really, this argument shouldn't be about Fs. it should be about people that irresponsibly apply value judgments, whatever type they may be. so the new argument would go something like "people that irresponsibly apply value judgments irresponsibly apply value judgments". :)