User Tag List

First 18262728293038 Last

MBTI
    INXX

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    If you are talking about creating inner calm, yes, it is possible, but the feelings don't go away completely. If they are not too bad, they will go to your dreams or something like that, but still, it takes time for the unconscious to process them. On the other hand, if they are intense, they can cause real damage. Trauma, uncontrollable behavior and so on...
    One way to accept emotions and process them while remaining calm is to regard them as passing clouds and use the observing part of your mind to watch them float by.

This of course will not necessarily work with extreme emotions or under states of extreme mental and/or physical stress. After I had my baby, I went through a few days where any emotion I was feeling did not pass quickly. It stayed and stayed. My emotions all felt slow and sticky and to take forever to clear. That whole time, however, I was severely sleep deprived and was often going without food and water when I was hungry and thirsty as well. Yet I was still taking care of my infant and never letting him cry longer than a few seconds. So I hardly think my emotional state made me either selfish or immature.

MBTI
    INXX

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Where does it say that value judgments are altogether worthless?

Unaccomodated by dispassionate reasoning they may be, as then they are but torrential emotions.
    I have never understood what is so bad about either feeling or expressing emotions, torrential or not. You seem to regard emotions as some sort of poison. People should care about how they affect other people, including how their expression of emotion affects other people. They should also be as rational as necessary in the situation to achieve their goal or make their decision, and the importance of being so is proportional to the importance of the goal or decision.

But not every goal or decision is important. Not all human activities have to be goal oriented. It is not necessary to be rational all the time. It is not necessary to be unemotional all the time. Just as it is not necessary to be serious all the time. Just as it is not necessary to be mature all the time.

Certainly, encourage people to be as mature and unemotional and serious and rational as it takes, but why go beyond that or insist that everyone else goes beyond that? Or are you insisting that? You seem to be.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelTao View Post
    It is not necessary to be rational all the time. It is not necessary to be unemotional all the time. Just as it is not necessary to be serious all the time. Just as it is not necessary to be mature all the time.
    Amen to that This is maybe the biggest question mark for me when a thinker insists that feelings are bad. Why do I need to be cool? Most of the time there's no reason to be objective. (That doesn't mean I explode on everyone's faces though..)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Four

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    And, that still isn't justification for F to dictate your decisions. So why?
    I think you're right about immature Feelers being selfish when justifying his or her decisions based on emotion. I'll use myself as an example:

Today at work, I was folding clothes. I was asked to fold scarves, which was something I had never done before, and when I was given the picture instructions, I looked at the wrong directions. At first I was confused and asked my manager, but she just sort of blew me off, so I decided to fold them my own way. This took me quite a while to do, and about half way through the task, the district manager commented on the amount of time it was taking me to finish. I was so furious! How dare she say that to ME?! I felt she was being mean and unfair because she didn't know the full situation. The rest of the day, I was moody and considered back talking or storming out of the store. Of course, I didn't because I later realized that her criticism justifiable.

So, how does this relate to your question. I think it supports your idea that immature feelers, in order to become "better" more mature people, need to learn to handle being so sensitive. However, I don't think that means that the Feeling preference should be collectively dismissed by people. Here's another scenario to help explain why:

In some parts of the US, bestiality is forbidden because animals supposedly do not have the ability to consent to sex with humans. Going on the same logic, shouldn't humans stop eating meat since slaughtering animals since it also mistreats animals? They cannot consent to being killed and we have the means to survive without their meat.

So, logically, we have two options: Stop eating meat or legalize bestiality. Perhaps, you do think bestiality should be legal. To each his own, right? In the end, there is no definite answer (as far as I can see.) However, I think it is the dominate Feeling preference that decides to give animals, and other humans, their inaliable "rights." The objective goal of the Feeling preference is to create a world of compassion and harmony. The best means by which that should be accomplished has been debated by Feelers and Thinkers since humans could think and feel! However, a world without those Feelers setting "rights" that are emotionally based might be too unforgiving for Thinkers -- or it would be, at least, really cut throat and worse than today's world.

Anyway, I don't think this really help much, but well . . . there it is for you anyway
    "Why had he never appreciated what a miracle he was, brain and nerve and bounding heart?"

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by ofugur View Post
    In the USA, bestiality is forbidden because animals supposedly do not have the ability to consent to sex with humans.
    actually it is legal in some usa states. it should be illegal. disgusting for sure.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Four

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    actually it is legal in some usa states. it should be illegal.
    orly!? my friend told me Denmark has no laws against bestiality, but I'm too lazy to check. anyway, i edited my post to reflect your knowledgeeee.

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    disgusting for sure.
    But someone else may not think it's so digusting. Also, some think eating meat is disgusting. So why is one illegal and the other not? How is that justifiable, fair, etc?
    "Why had he never appreciated what a miracle he was, brain and nerve and bounding heart?"

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    First of all don't be offended by the title I just thought it was funny.

F people creep me out. I don't understand them. I see making decisions off of your feelings as selfish and irrisponsible. The worst excuse ever, "I felt like it", like that matters. If people justify their actions according to their feelings where is the line that says what you were feeling is wrong. It seems immature. How is putting your feelings on someone else productive to anything? Where is the self control? You cant argue against what someone is feeling and asking someone to take your feelings into account is like asking them to cater unobjectively to you.

I am not trying to make people mad here I am trying to understand. What makes you all tick?
    I think you can argue against what someone is feeling if it is a misplaced feeling, a choice to indulge destructively, or based on a misunderstanding of a current situation. If a person's feelings result from faulty perception or re-visiting past experiences, then there are at least a couple of ways to "argue against" the feeling.

First, it can be addressed through analysis. By taking time to understand the cause of the emotion, one can better address whether or not it is an appropriate and constructive response. A mature person does this for him/herself or at least responds readily when it is pointed out. For example, say a person was cheated on by their ex. In their new relationship they respond with feelings of misplaced jealousy and mistrust. One way to argue against that emotion is to analyze its source and determine that it does not fit the current situation. Then the person can see it as an artifact and it loses some of its power.

A second way to argue against emotion is to address it on an emotional level. The person, either on their own volition or with help from a friend, rehearses the new, better emotion. For example, take the same person who was cheated on. The new partner can "argue against" the negative response by creating an accepting environment where the result of the negative emotion has a different result. By reinforcing feelings of security and trust, the scarred person can gradually form new habits of feeling. If the individual has the strength and maturity to deal with it alone, then they must choose to create a more positive environment through constructive thinking and indulging the senses in whatever provides that better feeling, or making choices that will produce better results and emotional habits.

It is difficult to underestimate the importance of arguing against negative emotions. There are few other ways to hone inner strength.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by ofugur View Post
    orly!? my friend told me Denmark has no laws against bestiality, but I'm too lazy to check. anyway, i edited my post to reflect your knowledgeeee.

But someone else may not think it's so digusting. Also, some think eating meat is disgusting. So why is one illegal and the other not? How is that justifiable, fair, etc?
    yeah, in the end, its just what the masses think.

if u were going to harp on the hypocrisies of the world, it would take up all your time man. LOL

heart on fire

Isn't part of the reason Bestiality is illegal is because of the treating of a sex partner like a powerless object? I think many people think it just sets up a mindset that seems easy to move on to with small children, mentally disabled and elderly with dementia.

I think most people assume slaughter is done scientifically and with as little pain as possible whereas sexually abusing an animal is not and very cruel to the animal. (whether it is true or not)

I think this is the most off the wall thread derail I've seen here yet.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

why are people even arguing? immature Fs suck. it's true. (immature Ts do too.)

a sidenote: i've been thinking about it for a while, and i actually think most people, whether thinkers or feelers, use the Thinking function more than the Feeling function. there's a lot more work to be done with true/false answers than with good/bad answers. it seems like one Feeling would probably inspire multiple Thinkings. the threshold line for T or F is probably at something like 3:1...

in actuality, though, the threshold couldn't even be defined by a ratio, as there is no reason the middle two functions have to be used in any sort of set order... which would mean that there are plenty of Fs that can use Thinking more productively than Ts (and Ts that can use Feeling more productively than Fs).

really, this argument shouldn't be about Fs. it should be about people that irresponsibly apply value judgments, whatever type they may be. so the new argument would go something like "people that irresponsibly apply value judgments irresponsibly apply value judgments".