User Tag List

First 6141516171826 Last

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

It bothers me when people make decisions based on feelings that harm others in some sort of way.
    If a person doesn't have a reason for doing something, except if its out of spite and/or stupidity.
    Otherwise, if someone wants to do something because 'they feel like it' go ahead- as long as you don't bring others along on the ride.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Let me just summarize most of my would-be response by saying that what BlueWing describes as a the nature of a preponderance of Thinking over Feeling almost always sounds to me more like a balance of Thinking and Feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Definitions.
    rational - Definitions from Dictionary.com

Thinking is in a closer affinity with rationality because logical reasoning allows us to see what is most reasonable. Whilst what is favored or disfavored does not. At best, it only tells us about our preferrences and not about the most rational way to go about the situation.
    We've been over this before. Yes, rationale has to do with reason. It is not specified that rationale/rationality has exclusively to do with logical reasoning, it just has to do with some kind of reasoning.

That being said, here's the entry of reason that I quoted before:

1. a basis or cause, as for some belief, action, fact, event, etc.: the reason for declaring war.
    2. a statement presented in justification or explanation of a belief or action.
    3. the mental powers concerned with forming conclusions, judgments, or inferences.
    4. sound judgment; good sense.
    5. normal or sound powers of mind; sanity.
    6. Logic. a premise of an argument.
    7. Philosophy.
    a. the faculty or power of acquiring intellectual knowledge, either by direct understanding of first principles or by argument.
    b. the power of intelligent and dispassionate thought, or of conduct influenced by such thought.
    c. Kantianism. the faculty by which the ideas of pure reason are created.

I once again point out that save a few field specific definitions, reason refers to any form of Judgement, not just Thinking,
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    It bothers me when people make decisions based on feelings that harm others in some sort of way.
    If a person doesn't have a reason for doing something, except if its out of spite and/or stupidity.
    Otherwise, if someone wants to do something because 'they feel like it' go ahead- as long as you don't bring others along on the ride.
    that's the basis of common decency for me. If it doesn't harm anyone or anything then what's the problem?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelTao View Post
    Well that's an example in which thinking is obviously the appropriate way to make the decision. Other kinds of examples are more problematic. Somebody experimenting with how to split atoms may be high on solving an exciting problem and not actually want to kill people. But we still had Hiroshima.
    Yet from a thinking standpoint, it saved us from a ground war that would've cost more Japanese and American lives 10 fold then 2 bombs(and it also stopped the Japanese A-bomb project in Korea. Yes they actually had one.). It also exposed the horrors of atomic warfare so later on there was more restraint other then MAD.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    What about when people make decisions based on (faulty) thought that harms others in some sort of way?

Having a reason makes the perpetrator of a crime less culpable? Anyone can attempt to logically justify anything... even murder of innocents.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    What about when people make decisions based on (faulty) thought that harms others in some sort of way?

Having a reason makes the perpetrator of a crime less culpable? Anyone can attempt to logically justify anything... even murder of innocents.
    Well, to seriously nit-pick, I think someone would be very hard-pressed to logically justify concluding that 2 + 2 = 7.

But yes, I think most of use get your actual point. It's extremely problematic when someone has complete faith in their own grasp on logic, truth, and objectivity. A small pretence of fallibilism is important for people to be consistently realistic or just. Without it, one cannot learn, and cannot be persuaded. It's rather dangerous for themselves and others.

One must be able to examine themselves for error, and correct it when they see it. BlueWing himself only seems to admit error with petty mistakes, or more specifically mistakes that do not relate to logic. When it comes to logic and rationale, however, he both acts as if, and has essentially stated that, he knows the universal and true language of reason. It's actually this aspect that has constituted someone of the most vacuous aspects of his arguments.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

You think too much, de Mazarin. It's as if you've lived on another planet and have just been exposed to humanity.

I'll let you in on a little secret you were sure to eventually discover anyway: People are generally stupid, impulsive, selfish, and short-sighted.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    You think too much, de Mazarin. It's as if you've lived on another planet and have just been exposed to humanity.

I'll let you in on a little secret you were sure to eventually discover anyway: People are generally stupid, impulsive, selfish, and short-sighted.
    I am a bit of an Ivory Tower kind of dude... but this is how I've generally viewed most people... in fact, however, I'd amend your description thusly:

"lazy, impulsive, selfish, and short-sighted"

I can't remember who wrote or said this... I think it's from Dostoevsky's "Brother's Karamazov"... someone had an interesting soliloquy about how all the world's troubles stemmed not from overwrought passions or outright stupidity, but rather from laziness and inertia.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

all the world's troubles stemmed not from overwrought passions or outright stupidity, but rather from laziness and inertia.
    I vehemently disagree. People who care about nothing offend me in no way; People who passionately strive for that with which I disagree earn my hatred.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I vehemently disagree. People who care about nothing offend me in no way; People who passionately strive for that with which I disagree earn my hatred.
    Well, there's a difference between being lazy and not caring about something... the way I read it is that someone might be passionate about something but so lazy as to simply choose the quickest, easiest-looking solution, and thereby make a mess of things by ill-advised action.

Those who are passionately wrong and industrious... they're obviously forces to be reckoned with...

But as for laziness being the root cause of all the world's problems, I'm not espousing that as a hard and fast rule and nor do I think was Dostoevsky (he was putting it in the mouth of one of his characters... Dmitri probably...)... but it is an under-appreciated flaw.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.