User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

I can think of only one I know. I think he's 6w5, which would be a particularly unusual combo, but it comes together when you see it in person. A very cantankerous personality that isn't for everybody, but I like him.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I was under the impression that F was a bit less common for males in general. The same goes for T with women. Considering N is also less common in the general less population, NF males are going to be rather uncommon to begin with.
    So, according the to the 1998 MBTI US Representative sample, ENFPs make up 6.4% of males (ISTJs at 16.4%, being most popular for males, followed by ESTJ at 11.2%), 9.7% of females (ISFJ at 19.4%, being most popular for females, followed by ESFJ at 17.9%). An yes, overall, T is more common for males than females: 56.5% for males, 24.5% for females. So males are mildly more Thinking than Feeling, but females are significantly more Feeling than Thinking.

Of course, that is just one sample (although it was a large one) conducted by phone.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    So, according the to the 1998 MBTI US Representative sample, ENFPs make up 6.4% of males (ISTJs at 16.4%, being most popular for males, followed by ESTJ at 11.2%), 9.7% of females (ISFJ at 19.4%, being most popular for females, followed by ESFJ at 17.9%). An yes, overall, T is more common for males than females: 56.5% for males, 24.5% for females. So males are mildly more Thinking than Feeling, but females are significantly more Feeling than Thinking.

Of course, that is just one sample (although it was a large one) conducted by phone.
    Ah yes. This must be the singular study that everyone gets these percentages from. But I didn't know it was by phone! Blech. Did they collect demographic information as well? I'd guess that the types of women that would answer these were probably all elderly, motherly women. It would be nice to have a more updated survey, perhaps one that tries to gain the participation of a younger crowd. But then, that would be a significant amount of money "wasted" in a rather meaningless study.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Ah yes. This must be the singular study that everyone gets these percentages from. But I didn't know it was by phone! Blech. Did they collect demographic information as well? I'd guess that the types of women that would answer these were probably all elderly, motherly women. It would be nice to have a more updated survey, perhaps one that tries to gain the participation of a younger crowd. But then, that would be a significant amount of money "wasted" in a rather meaningless study.
    It was done by phone, and was rebalanced in various ways to correct for an over-representation of white females (for example) and an under-representation of black males (as another example). The sample was rebalanced to reflect census data for gender and ethnic makeup of the US population.

They both tried techniques of ignoring the excess in the over-sampled groups, and rebalancing the weights of the various groups. Both yielded about the same percentage representation.

I'd agree that doing anything by phone is likely to affect the weight of the distribution of participants (with, hypothetically in MBTI terms, Extraverts and Feelers tending to be more represented). I think it'd be tough to do better without doing door-to-door, census style canvasing (which would be hugely expensive, and even more time intensive than the actual census).

So, yes: what we have is imperfect and is affected by the means of data collection. I'd love to see better data, but that's not what we have, currently.

Still, even in Big Five terms:

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    A study of gender differences in 55 nations using the Big Five Inventory found that women tended to be somewhat higher than men in neuroticism, extraversion, agreeableness, and conscientiousness. The difference in neuroticism was the most prominent and consistent, with significant differences found in 49 of the 55 nations surveyed. Gender differences in personality traits are largest in prosperous, healthy, and more gender-egalitarian cultures. A plausible explanation for this is that acts by women in individualistic, egalitarian countries are more likely to be attributed to their personality, rather than being attributed to ascribed gender roles within collectivist, traditional countries.[74] Differences in the magnitude of sex differences between more or less developed world regions were due to differences between men, not women, in these respective regions. That is, men in highly developed world regions were less neurotic, extraverted, conscientious and agreeable compared to men in less developed world regions. Women, on the other hand tended not to differ in personality traits across regions.[75]
    So that suggests by correlation to MBTI preferences (but, because that's a correlation of a correlation, doesn't prove much), that women tend to be more E, F, and J than men... and that, in turn, matches the data from the MBTI National Representative Sample. It's not definitive proof, by any means. Still, if you can point me at any better data, I'd be all ears.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    istp
    Enneagram
    gvf
    Socionics
    gfxd Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    I know quite a few of them, actually. I'm convinced every Christian youth pastor ever is required to be an ENFP. Male ESFPs seem less common to me, I don't think I know any of those.
    I went to a christian high school and from my experience, this is SO true.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

I know quite a few of them, actually. I'm convinced every Christian youth pastor ever is required to be an ENFP.
    Mine was an INFJ.

That's...well, it's certainly an expression I've never heard before.
    Really?
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    I don't know, I feel like I can't swing a dead cat without hitting a male ENFP.

Not that I've ever actually done such a thing.
    Yeah, but you THOUGHT it, therefore you "could" do it :P
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

I know quite a few of them, actually. I'm convinced every Christian youth pastor ever is required to be an ENFP. Male ESFPs seem less common to me, I don't think I know any of those.
    Birds of a feather flock together and all that.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by syorro View Post
    Although ENFPs are a pretty common type, it seems that I've only been able to meet one other ENFP male (That I know if of course) and way too many females haha.

What about you guys?
    I wanna say that male feelers and female thinkers are minorities for any given type, but I won't because I don't have any scientific data or research to back that up, so I won't. Pretend I didn't say anything at all. :P

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    IEE Ni

My friend group had an overwhelming amount of ENFPS in it. A lot of them were male ENFPs, four male ENFPs actually. I could connect with them so easily, i'm not really into acting like a girl or guy...I have no idea if that makes sense. I'm a girl and identifty as one...I like feminine things etc whatever...I just didn't like the whole gender role part very much. I just connected very easily to male ENFPs in a brother sort of way. I'm not trying to come off as the "cool girl" because a lot of people mistake me for an ISFP. (in real life of course...most definitely not online) And thats what happens to most guy ENFPs you might think they're actually a ISFP. But once you get to know them, they're not like an ISFP at all... ENFP guys are usually very funny, in a lame type of way. It's a certain type of humor. a lot to do with intuition. They're low key when you meet them, but once they bond with you I'd say they're pretty eccentric. I think a lot of them are severely embarrassed about their emotional side. Which sucks, because they really don't admit to it...they observe in on some petty trait and blame that. I'm very emotional, but that's my life, and it's actually pretty neato.

If you're wondering, why does she know so much on male ENFPS? or think I know so much about them: I did a big project in my HS using MBTI. And I had a tight friend group that was sorta large? I really fucking love them. A lot of them are ENFPs and ISFPS. Then I'd say INFPS and ENFJs...one INTJ and one INFJ. They got as interested as I did; they would help me with my project by researching their type. it was cute and stuff....they still like it.
    "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."
    -Oscar Wilde
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post