So I just did this assignment for my General Psych class and I felt like it was seriously cathartic so I thought I would share it on here so that others can try it out.
Your task is to write two semiautobiographical letters, one to a future or actual child on the occasion of the child’s eighteenth birthday and a second to your parents. The letters provide you with the opportunity to discuss developmental issues from a personal, concrete perspective.
In the letter to your child (real or future), you are asked to address the following issues:
1. When and why did you decide to have this child?
2. What are the most important characteristics of a parent, and why?
3. Which of your strengths would make you a successful parent?
4. Describe the qualities you hope your child will possess, and why you think these qualities are important.
5. State your dreams for your child and pass on any words of wisdom.
In the letter to your parents, you are asked to cover the following issues:
1. Describe your general feelings about your present life and values and try to assess your parents’ influence on you.
2. Describe three strengths of your parents.
3. Describe a weakness of your parents or some characteristic that you would like to have changed.
4. Choose one or two areas of development—intellectual, moral, personality, social—in which your parents had the most influence and explain how or why.
5. Thank your parents for something special.