User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 39

  1. #21
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Good and Evil suggests two opposing forces, neither necessary any better than the other but simply opposites which interreact with one another - a battle fought on the spiritual level.

    Ethics suggests certain ways of being would be preferrable over others. Less overarching cosmic forces, more that some ways are more reality aligning than others.
    Generally agreed.



    So I guess we can conclude from this thread that INFP's have no interest in discussing the subject.

    Bravo.

  2. #22
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    So I guess we can conclude from this thread that INFP's have no interest in discussing the subject.
    I've come back to this thread a few times and find that there's something about the way the subject is being discussed that renders me kind of speechless on it. It feels off. Sorry about that, if something comes to mind I will share.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
    Likes greenfairy liked this post

  3. #23
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    I've come back to this thread a few times and find that there's something about the way the subject is being discussed that renders me kind of speechless on it. It feels off. Sorry about that, if something comes to mind I will share.
    Please feel free to elaborate and/or modify it to a style that suits you!

  4. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
    Ethics, "Good and Evil" is a false dichotomy. Acts are not pure, in any sense, but subjectively assigned to "good", "bad", "permissible", etc. However, as far as our perceptions of good and evil go, I do believe that they are relative. We compare good acts to perceived evil ones, and vice versa, we adopt a framework by which we make such comparisons. This framework differs from person to person, it is subjective. So yes, of course an atheist, pantheist or polytheist can "do" good, they do good by their own metric.
    My question: Why do you say this is a false dichotomy? At first, I believed you were making the point that every act yields pairs of opposites, good and evil. Is this on the right track?

    My answer original query: To define a difference between the two, one may observe the terms 'good' and 'evil' most commonly associated with mysticism; whereas 'ethics' is the philosophical study of how man may best get along with other men in highly organized and complicated social interrelationships - such a thing is society.

  5. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Btw, since posting my first response, I've had time to read all of these posts. Allow me to state, as a supposed INFP, that if by going under that designation, I have to also endorse this non-such about absolute good and evil, I shall hereby disinherit said designation for something more sensible. Like a Bigbird outfit, for instance.
    Likes greenfairy liked this post

  6. #26
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poeta View Post
    My question: Why do you say this is a false dichotomy? At first, I believed you were making the point that every act yields pairs of opposites, good and evil. Is this on the right track?

    My answer original query: To define a difference between the two, one may observe the terms 'good' and 'evil' most commonly associated with mysticism; whereas 'ethics' is the philosophical study of how man may best get along with other men in highly organized and complicated social interrelationships - such a thing is society.
    I have no idea what you're talking about. Which is encouraging.

  7. #27
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Good and evil are religious terms. After all religion claims God is good and Satan is evil. Religion claims good will be rewarded in Heaven and evil will be punished in Hell.

    By contast ethics is a secular term. So secular institutions have codes of ethics. So ethics is a way of behaving rather than a way of believing.

  8. #28
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Good and evil are religious terms. After all religion claims God is good and Satan is evil. Religion claims good will be rewarded in Heaven and evil will be punished in Hell.

    By contast ethics is a secular term. So secular institutions have codes of ethics. So ethics is a way of behaving rather than a way of believing.
    For the second time I quite agree with you!
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/24/244970.png

    6w5, 4w3, 1w9 (probably)
    Likes Mole liked this post

  9. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I have no idea what you're talking about. Which is encouraging.
    Seeing as you understood Mole, I'm guessing my use of the word mysticism was confusing. I use this in place of the word religion to cover a mode of thinking that covers all religions. "Religion," has come to mean too many different things for different people. Some, for example, will say they are not religious but spiritual. Either term will have its root in mysticism.

  10. #30
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poeta View Post
    Seeing as you understood Mole, I'm guessing my use of the word mysticism was confusing. I use this in place of the word religion to cover a mode of thinking that covers all religions. "Religion," has come to mean too many different things for different people. Some, for example, will say they are not religious but spiritual. Either term will have its root in mysticism.
    Ah, got it.

Similar Threads

  1. Good and Evil Are Nonexistent.
    By virtualinsanity in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 12-12-2016, 10:47 PM
  2. Good and Evil, War and history
    By Little_Sticks in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-14-2011, 09:27 PM
  3. Good Vs. Evil in Horror Films
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-15-2010, 08:14 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-03-2008, 03:49 PM
  5. Good and bad should be exclusive.
    By Magic Poriferan in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-28-2008, 01:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO