User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

If Good is North, IFPs seem to have their own magnetic fields. I don't think religion necessarily comes into play...
    Likes Arctic Hysteria liked this post

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Opal View Post
    If Good is North, IFPs seem to have their own magnetic fields. I don't think religion necessarily comes into play...
    I don't object to good so much as evil. That seems to be a concept created by Christianity.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I don't object to good so much as evil. That seems to be a concept created by Christianity.
    Are good and evil not ends of the same spectrum? If you assert some things are good, does that not imply that others are bad ("evil")?

Though I would fight for my alignment, I would never consider someone or something purely one or the other. Life is complex, and much is lost in abstraction.

Permabanned

I can think of at least 2 FJs I've known (One ISFJ, one ENFJ) who think in terms of good and evil, also of religious background, so I agree it has more to do with religion.

You might find it relevant though, that the ENFJ is to at least some extent utilitarian in her personal agency, even if she does so within a good and evil cosmology: When asked about whether she believes everyone who doesn't belong to her creed gets punished in the after life, she explained that she believes god only punishes wrong choices, and while she does consider the choice to not join her creed to be wrong, it can only be made after you learn about it. This is why she won't try to convert anyone or teach them about her faith unless they initiate and ask about it, because otherwise she'd feel like she's condemning their souls (For some reason her own children are the exception to this rule - I can speculate on why I don't know her own rational).

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Are good and evil not ends of the same spectrum? If you assert some things are good, does that not imply that others are bad ("evil")?

Though I would fight for my alignment, I would never consider someone or something purely one or the other. Life is complex, and much is lost in abstraction.
    I would consider bad and evil to be two very different things. The word good can refer to actions, a generalization about a person's behavior, or an inherent quality of their spirit, and others. Evil is an extreme form of bad and tends to refer to inherent qualities of people- even if it refers to an action it implies that the source has some extreme bad quality to it. Good people can do bad things but I suspect very few people believe good people do evil things. I too think no one is purely good or evil, but religious people tend to. I can say a thing or person is unethical or horrible without requiring some cosmic source of authority to agree with me.

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Strictly speaking, Ethics is the discovery of and adherence to moral codes of conduct. It's related to good and evil, for sure; as 'don't do [thing generally regarded as evil]' is on there. But the definitions of 'good' and 'evil' can be much more personal. As such, they're also murkier but a lot more flexible.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

MBTI
    ENTP

I would consider bad and evil to be two very different things. The word good can refer to actions, a generalization about a person's behavior, or an inherent quality of their spirit, and others. Evil is an extreme form of bad and tends to refer to inherent qualities of people- even if it refers to an action it implies that the source has some extreme bad quality to it. Good people can do bad things but I suspect very few people believe good people do evil things. I too think no one is purely good or evil, but religious people tend to. I can say a thing or person is unethical or horrible without requiring some cosmic source of authority to agree with me.
    Ah, interesting. I'm unsure of how others view morality, because I'm fairly locked into my viewpoint. I believe people are capable of acts some would consider both good and evil, and can be pushed in either direction. Good, bad, evil, etc. all feel oversimplifying to me; I see life as a colorful, chaotic web... an endlessly intricate river system with millions of intertwined capillary creeks.

Something like that.
    Likes Arctic Hysteria liked this post

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Ah, interesting. I'm unsure of how others view morality, because I'm fairly locked into my viewpoint. I believe people are capable of acts some would consider both good and evil, and can be pushed in either direction. Good, bad, evil, etc. all feel oversimplifying to me; I see life as a colorful, chaotic web... an endlessly intricate river system with millions of intertwined capillary creeks.

Something like that.
    That's cool. Are you an INFP?

MBTI
    ENTP

That's cool. Are you an INFP?
    I dunno. I have a bad habit of offering my viewpoint in discussions where it's irrelevant.

MBTI
    INFJ

Good and Evil suggests two opposing forces, neither necessary any better than the other but simply opposites which interreact with one another - a battle fought on the spiritual level.

Ethics suggests certain ways of being would be preferrable over others. Less overarching cosmic forces, more that some ways are more reality aligning than others.