User Tag List

View Poll Results: Ahem... DO YOU SPEAK LOUD?!?!

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • ...I SPEAK VERY LOUD!

14 24.56%
  • I speak at a MEDIUM volume.

13 22.81%
  • (...no, I am quiet)

30 52.63%
First 23456 Last

I have always been on the quiet side, but not by conscious choice. I speak at what I would describe as my natural volume. So when people tell me to speak louder, I have to force myself to speak unnaturally, making my voice sound unpleasantly loud in my head, even somewhat drowning out my thought process. I think being usually rather soft-spoken, I achieve significally more impactful effects when I do raise my voice - to stop people from talking too loudly, for instance.

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I have always been on the quiet side, but by conscious choice. I speak at what I would describe as my natural volume. So when people tell me to speak louder, I have to force myself to speak unnaturally, making my voice sound unpleasantly loud in my head, even somewhat drowning out my thought process. I think being usually rather soft-spoken, I achieve significally more impactful effects when I do raise my voice - to stop people from talking too loudly, for instance.
    I think I developed my softer tone for the same reason.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

No I don't and I don't like people who do.
    Likes ESFJ, The Wailing Specter liked this post

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

I can't recall ever being told to speak up or to simmer down in an everyday environment.

At a club or something? Gonna speak louder. Around some sleeping babies? Gonna speak more softly.

Sometimes I have little to say, but what I do say isn't necessarily quiet.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    i dunno if you are actually quieter, or if your mic input is quieter? I had shitty sound and my audio drivers kept failing i finally uninstalled and reinstalled them and now my computer is really loud. it's not important
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    i dunno if you are actually quieter, or if your mic input is quieter? I had shitty sound and my audio drivers kept failing i finally uninstalled and reinstalled them and now my computer is really loud. it's not important
    It was right next to my face.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    It was right next to my face.
    yeah so was mine, but you aren't comprehending what i'm saying so was mine. and i had really shit sound not loud at all, if i turn my speakers past 30 % currently its too loud before i reinstalled the drivers i would have it a 100 and had trouble hearing the sound. and i don't have intermitten deafness. so you aren't factoring everything in. if you are great, I really don't care. there's no notability in having a quiet voice, i am often not heard in real life. and maybe my voice has gotten less quiet over time cuz i'm so frustrated with always repeating myself.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

No middle range. Either yelling or mumbling. Used to cause trouble because it was too loud and heedless of the group dynamics. Now......I barely say anything anymore.

If I ever NEED to butt in in order to accomplish a goal, I skyrocket in volume and suprise everyone. My anger scares people.

Since I've quieted down, at least now there'll be fewer occasions I prove myself a fool, raising only suspicions instead.

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    I am beginning to notice that a lot of INFP women have grown up around majority-women environments, who are also coincidentally a bit dramaish.
    All the women I ever meet are mentally walled-in and ditto to INFPs. I'd like to see these women you describe.
    Likes five sounds liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Yes and no. It's in direct relation to how enthused I am on a topic. I can be soft-spoken if I am feeling shy or disinterested, and then I also come off as kind of flat and reserved. If I try to raise my voice then, it has an unnatural quality, lacking warmth, and it will register as angry or annoyed to others. So I don't try to "artificially" raise my voice. However, if I feel enthused and confident, then I can get loud and animated. Then it may be hard for me to lower my volume and speak softly.

I don't have a soft voice, but I have a highpitched, girlish voice. I would say it's childlike, as children have loud squeaky voices, but they are not commanding. Unfortunately, that's what I think I sound like, and so I avoid talking really loudly because I think it gets shrill. If I have to scold loud kids in a class, then I hate how shrill my voice gets.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    Lolz

I am beginning to notice that a lot of INFP women have grown up around majority-women environments, who are also coincidentally a bit dramaish.
    That was my environment, and you had to talk over people to be heard and accept being talked over. I often did not do this, and it contributed to a sense of not being heard in a larger way. Instead of becoming like them, I tended to shy away from it as it frustrated me.

However, having grown up in that, I know how to interject as an adult and may have to watch myself when I am enthused, as I may get loud and talk over people. But in most cases, I am not loud at all.

As a side, I can't stand "sweet, soothing" voices in women. It sounds artificial to me and I want to tell them to grow a spine and find some passion and energy. Oddly, I find dry and robotic talking preferable to the soft, gentle tones some put on.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe