User Tag List

View Poll Results: Ahem... DO YOU SPEAK LOUD?!?!

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • ...I SPEAK VERY LOUD!

14 24.56%
  • I speak at a MEDIUM volume.

13 22.81%
  • (...no, I am quiet)

30 52.63%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx

I think most of the time I speak medium volume/regular voice, but god help me when I'ma round friends. I talk SO LOUD around them sometimes and I can't control it. Half the time I don't even realize I'm talking so loudly until it's pointed out to me. But I mean, most of the time? Medium. Definitely not a quiet talker. I don't mind quiet people though. I always felt bad in school when the teacher told the quiet kids to talk louder and all the other kids laughed at them. They looked so uncomfortable.
    Likes five sounds liked this post

I'm soft spoken and low pitched. Not the most audible combination.
    Likes chickpea liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    I'm soft spoken and low pitched. Not the most audible combination.
    I am the same.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Oh I definitely relate to this! Part of it is because my hearing isn't the best. It drive me nuts when it seems like they are just intimidated or afraid to speak at an average volume, and I can't help but just thing "my god, get over yourself" and actually have some self confidance and not be afraid of being heard/seen/noticed.
    Yeah I have to fight this thought process too.. I mean, soft spoken people are fine when it's quiet anyways, but what gets me is soft spoken people will be upset at loud people just as much. While I can see frustration in @Cimarron for example who is really soft spoken, and I have issues hearing him sometimes if we're in a louder place, but I can tell he makes an effort to be heard when it's louder.

I don't have bad hearing.. but mumbling, grumbling, low-tone voices are not something I'm accustomed to trying to hear, particularly in loud places. Try to speak up, or don't get upset that I can't hear you. Because while it may be a liiiittle annoying that my voice can drown out yours during a heated conversation, at least you can hear what I'm saying.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes Hard liked this post

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

I used to be very soft spoken as a child but over the years I've taught myself to speak at a medium volume by default, as speaking quietly often fed the erroneous assumptions about my being "shy"(Much to my irritation. Shy is not the word I'd use to describe what I am, and if you sincerely think of me as being shy, we really need to get you a dictionary). I just really loathed the idea of being treated like some timid little mouse, almost as if I weren't competent in the ways of the world of my own. It was horribly embarrassing to me for whatever reason, and it still is on the instances when my quiet voice seeps out. I'll never be a human megaphone(I still get told to speak up during say, presentations, which is annoying), but then again, I have not the slightest desire to be one(talk-yelling is cringeworthy), so I suppose it's fine.

Honestly, I wouldn't really care if everyone thought I was shy so long as they didn't subsequently begin to treat me as if were labeled "fragile" as if those two factors were actually synonymous or even connected in true form.

Perhaps it's all in my head, who knows and more importantly, who cares, I mean that wouldn't exactly be novel. Either way not a talker=/=shy, I'd like to get that on a billboard.
    In that which is night to all things, therein the self-subjugated remains awake; but where all else is awake, that is night for the knower of the self.
    Likes BadOctopus liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Let's hear your soft and loud voices.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...st-voices.html

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

A soft-spoken person seems like a weird thing to get upset about. A loud person, on the other hand, can definitely be annoying. They're often disruptive, inconsiderate, and cause others to lose their train of thought. Many of them don't realize that, though.

My whole family is loud, except for my eldest brother and me. I wouldn't describe either of us as soft-spoken, but we have similarly deep, somewhat uninflected voices.
    Likes ESFJ liked this post

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Depends on the context, if I'm comfortable though I'm usually loud although I don't like admitting it, it's the truth.

But perhaps I'm worse on vent.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

good, hot, fresh, fly ~ laterlazer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    592 sp

It does annoy me sometimes when people are so low volume esp in loud environments, I don't want to have to strain my ear to listen to what you're saying, I hate asking people to repeat themselves as well so sometimes I'll just be nodding along to whatever a soft spoken person is saying even when I can't hear them. I don't have the best ears either.

Personally though I think I switch tones, there are times when some people don't hear me and other times when people are telling me that I'm speaking too loudly. I think it's to do with how comfortable I am at the time but I'd say I have medium/average volume.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Medium to loud.

I come from a family of intense, emotional, argumentative women. You have to speak up.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte