User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Maturity

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by NancyD View Post
    That's good to know. Thanks. (I hope you weren't being sarcastic. ha!) I never heard of the "big teenager" thing before.
    No sarcasm. It's really true.

In fact, this much-overlooked trait of INFJs has led many MBTI enthusiasts to mistake us for ISxPs. (So annoying)

Default The Mature Introvert

Well, I really don't know because I don't know what it is like to be other people, of course. I think because I'm not the type to get married and have kids, people may think I'm immature because I don't have marriage and kid concerns? One person said something like that. That is not a Peter Pan issue. I know the world is overpopulated so I would never do something as illogical as bring more people into the world. Also, I don't like the idea of a relationship having a contract with the state. So, I don't feel those are immaturity issues.
    Overpopulation and State contracts seem like rationalisations to me. And you seem unaware these are rationalisations. This is indicative of psychological defences.

We enter maturity by becoming aware of our psychological defences, and where appropriate, dismantling them.

So if you present as an adult without any awareness of your own psychological defences, then you will be seen as immature.

The problem for introverts if they don't mature is that they become more and more absurd the older they get.

So introverts can become more and more absurd as they age, or they can discover the gifts introversion bestows and fully flower as a mature introvert.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    So introverts can become more and more absurd as they age, or they can discover the gifts introversion bestows and fully flower as a mature introvert.
    Would you say that you've fully flowered?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Overpopulation
    This is actually a very serious issue and has nothing to do with immaturity.
    Likes BadOctopus liked this post

This is actually a very serious issue and has nothing to do with immaturity.
    Precisely. That is why I think it is a rationalisation of your feelings. It serves to hide your feelings from yourself. And you think it serves to hide your feelings from a mature introvert.

But you have come to the wrong place for advice, for mbti serves the interests of the immature, and mbti is like giving a stone to a drowning person.

And it seems to me that although you ask for advice, you actually don't want advice, instead you want your immature rationalisations validated by us. And there are many immature members here who will do exactly that.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

But you have come to the wrong place for advice, for mbti serves the interests of the immature, and mbti is like giving a stone to a drowning person.
    Well, I still don't know how fully flowered you are, but it sounds to me like you're petaling your usual nonsense in this thread.
    Likes Hard liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

sometimes you have to immature to be mature.

being mature all the time makes one a sort of spoiled-brat-golden-child. It's really narcissistic.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.
    Likes Cygnus liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I was told by a friend 16 years younger that I'm immature because I talk like I'm his age. It's kind of an inkling I had so it rang true. Why do some people seem to start out immature and progress through maturity while others may just stay at the same level - not necessarily starting out immature and not necessarily progressing. People used to think I was mature for my age so it just seems like it stayed steady and never changed. Any other INFJs relate? I don't drink or do any drugs so that is not a factor. I'd like to mature.
    This is a good example of FE. When a person is acting mature, it's to express an authoritative influence, which is often contrary to FE, depending on the context. FE is often used to allow others feel that they are on the same level as you (or sometimes higher). It helps lower down defenses and sways the recipient to feel "safe" (mirroring).

You probably have a well-developed FE and haven't realized it. Speaking [immaturely] and being are two separate things.
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous

We are born without control, and over the next 22 years we learn control of ourselves with the help of our parents, teachers and friends. And at about 22 we reach full control of ourselves we and our parents are rightly proud of our achievement.

Some of us never mature further and diligently maintain control for the next 60 years of our life. This becomes rigid and absurd.

If we wish to mature beyond control, we need to let go of control, and discover creativity.

So a normal part of our development is to be immature while we are striving to gain control of ourselves. But failure of our further development is to cling to control, and fail to develop our creativity.

In the past the failure to develop our creativity didn't matter much because our life expectancy was so low. But today we have an extended life expectancy and if we cling to control and fail to develop our creativity we become absurd.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by reckful View Post
    Well, I still don't know how fully flowered you are, but it sounds to me like you're petaling your usual nonsense in this thread.
    "Petaling". I'm ashamed to admit how long it took me to catch that.