• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] can an infp use ni(introverted intuitio)?

chado

MBTI Type
infp
ok so can an infp use the mbti ni(introverted intuition)?iv read that the mbti ni is one of the shadow functions for an infp and it can emerge during stress so under stress could an infp use ni as a dominant function? the mbti ni i am talking about please this is frustrating i need an answer thanks?

Evastover

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Absolutely- any type can use any function. Also, the shadow functions don't only get used under stress. Introverted Intuition wouldn't really be "used" as a dominant function though- the place of the functions (dominant, auxiliary, etc) refers mainly to how often they are used and how developed they are.

Hope this helped!

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Intuition is the function, not Ni. Introversion of intuition means an abstractive(=remover irrelevant info to get to the "main point" of something, while at the same time turning it into a subjective matter) attitude(=automatic/habitual ways of doing things) towards intuitions. INFP has extraverted attitude towards intuition, so instead of trying to remove from data via intuition, INFPs default mode(= attitude) is to use intuition to add to things, possibilities, scenarios to whats going on behind the scenes etc.

This shadow function thing isnt really MBTI or jungian typology, but socionics/beebean

chado

MBTI Type
infp
so an infp or intp could use ni as a dominant function under certain conditions?

Alea_iacta_est

Everyone uses :Ni: to some degree, just as everyone uses any information element to varying degrees. What matters is the placement of the information element within Model A for a given sociotype, which can tell us the personality's relative strength or weakness in that information element's sphere, the general approach to that element's presence/information, and whether it is fully implicated in conscious thought or unconscious thought [a more apt term would be how aware we are of the information or self-awareness related to our behaviors and reactions to them].

Since you are particularly asking for :Ni: in an EII (JCF approximate -> INFP, FiNe), we have access to an EII's Model A, which can tell us how an EII processes different elements.

EII -
:Fi: :Ne:
:Ti: :Se:
:Te: :Si:
:Fe: [:Ni:]

For the EII, Introverted Intuition is in the Demonstrative position. This position is characterized by many different dichotomies, the most notable being Strong [personality is very adept with this type of information and its uses], Vital [the personality's awareness of this element is minimal, even more so considering that the Demonstrative position is the most unconscious of the Vital track], and Subdued [the personality does not personally favor or appreciate this type of information, considering it a waste of time, perhaps, in the case of the Id block].

The EII's use of Demonstrative :Ni: should be noted for its extreme entrenchment in unconscious thought, being the lower end of the Vital Track. Thus, you will tend to process this information outside of your conscious awareness (which is focused on your Ego Block and Super-Ego Block) more so than most of the Vital Track. An EII, as an Intuitive-Ethical type, possesses :Fi: and :Ni: as 4-dimensional elements, which for all intents and purposes here means that they are the strongest elements within the type, with one being the strongest conscious element :)Fi:) and the other being the strongest unconscious element :)Ni:). Due to the Demonstrative position being Subdued, the unconscious literally takes control of all information pertaining to it, allowing the EII to focus more on :Fi:. Thus, as you view the world through the lens of :Fi: (attractive-repulsive thinking, ethical analysis, etc.), your unconscious is trained on and is perceiving the world through :Ni: (data-interpreting through relative importance-unimportance, tracking dynamic situations, etc.) to make sure you don't miss out on it. When the EII is in a situation that requires adept use of :Ni:, it begins to surface [though this does not increase your self-awareness of it] and become second-nature to the EII.

As mentioned, the Demonstrative position houses the information element that you are the least self-aware of, yet is still powerful. Oftentimes, when sociotypes realize they are using their Demonstrative Element or someone else asks them how they skillfully and easily handle situations requiring it, their response is often "I don't know how, I just do."

Demonstrative Position is within the Id block - "I don't know that I can [do this]"

chado

MBTI Type
infp
thanks that helped alot so if i can sum up everything you said it would be than an infp under certain conditions would be using ni(introverted intuition)as a dominant function whrn under certain conditions?

chado

MBTI Type
infp
thanks that helped alot so if i can sum up everything you said it would be than an infp under certain conditions would be using ni(introverted intuition)as a dominant function whrn under certain conditions?

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If we could all explain things to the newbie without heavy use of jargon and squiggle-pictures and decide whether we're talking about MBTI or Socionics, that would be greeeeat. :coffee:

I am more interested in knowing why [MENTION=23960]chado[/MENTION] seems to really want us to tell them that yes, of course INFPs (and INTPs, as seen in your other posts) can use Ni.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Simple answer - no.

Fi-Ne in INFPs can demonstrate outward behaviour that looks similar to Ni dominance but it's not. JCFs are related to how a person thinks, not the resulting appearance of that process.

Ni is about convergence of many ideas to a single representative one. Ne does the opposite and diverges outward from one idea to many. The two functions move in opposite directions so there isn't any cross over between them. A NJ and a NP might wholly agree in their view of the world but they take very different paths to arrive at the same place. But with the functions, the path you take is the most defining part, not the destination.

Also, your function order does not change - ever. If you are born a Fi dom then you stay one for life.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Simple answer - no.

Fi-Ne in INFPs can demonstrate outward behaviour that looks similar to Ni dominance but it's not. JCFs are related to how a person thinks, not the resulting appearance of that process.

This.

Socionics defines the functions a bit differently tho and it is more should i say shallow when it comes to functions and this makes the whole system more behavioristic and it misses this sort of stuff like Fi working on Ne data might look like Ni, even tho its not Ni and socionics just says that it is Ni. Adding to this the whole system needs to be more theoretically complex to support the missing pieces. Beebes archetypal 8 function thing is in many ways similar to socionics.
Im not saying that socionics has no value, but its more valuable when you understand the real thing and are able to leave out all the highly theoretical bullshit it also says. Beginner who doesent understand type and trying to understand it by reading socionics, MBTI, jungian functions and what ever crap you find from internets written by people who have next to no idea what they are talking about and trying to make sense of type that way can be really misleading.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I took a cognitive function test and this is what I got

Te (Extroverted Thinking) (50%)
your valuation of / adherence to logic of external systems / hierarchies / methods

Ti (Introverted Thinking) (55%)
your valuation of / adherence to your own internally devised logic/rational

Ne (Extroverted Intuition) (80%)
your valuation of / tendency towards free association and creating with external stimuli

Ni (Introverted Intuition) (75%)
your valuation of / tendency towards internal/original free association and creativity

Se (Extroverted Sensing) (55%)
your valuation of / tendency to fully experience the world unfiltered, in the moment

Si (Introverted Sensing) (90%)
your valuation of / focus on internal sensations and reliving past moments

Fe (Extroverted Feeling) (50%)
your valuation of / adherence to external morals, ethics, traditions, customs, groups

Fi (Introverted Feeling) (95%)
your valuation of / adherence to the sanctity of your own feelings / ideals / sentiment

My Ne-Ni as well as Te-Ti are almost borderline. I don't really know what to make of that.

chado

MBTI Type
infp

your valuation of / adherence to logic of external systems / hierarchies / methods

your valuation of / tendency towards free association and creating with external stimuli

your valuation of / tendency towards internal/original free association and creativity

your valuation of / tendency to fully experience the world unfiltered, in the moment

your valuation of / adherence to external morals, ethics, traditions, customs, groups

your valuation of / adherence to the sanctity of your own feelings / ideals / sentiment

My Ne-Ni as well as Te-Ti are almost borderline. I don't really know what to make of that.

may i ask if you could post the link to the test you took?

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Also, your function order does not change - ever. If you are born a Fi dom then you stay one for life.

Nothing is fixed, everything changes.

Ta-da!

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This.

Socionics defines the functions a bit differently tho and it is more should i say shallow when it comes to functions and this makes the whole system more behavioristic and it misses this sort of stuff like Fi working on Ne data might look like Ni, even tho its not Ni and socionics just says that it is Ni. Adding to this the whole system needs to be more theoretically complex to support the missing pieces. Beebes archetypal 8 function thing is in many ways similar to socionics.
Im not saying that socionics has no value, but its more valuable when you understand the real thing and are able to leave out all the highly theoretical bullshit it also says. Beginner who doesent understand type and trying to understand it by reading socionics, MBTI, jungian functions and what ever crap you find from internets written by people who have next to no idea what they are talking about and trying to make sense of type that way can be really misleading.
Yeah, this is basically how I approach socionics. There's some interesting ideas and articles that come out of it but I don't like/understand the in depth theory.

I think you have to start with MBTI and Jung and not confuse the issue.

It's probably either a bad test or you haven't quite figured out yourself well enough. But in truth this happens in most CF tests, because some functions look like other functions in certain lights. A lot of tests ask about how interested you are in the future and predicting what will happen, which is a question about Ni but most NPs would often answer "frequently" to that (and probably many SPs and SJs too). The thing is Ni is focussed on the future in a particular way that is different from other functions but is hard to differentiate in simple language.

I would guess from your answers, you're a IxFP - probably a INFP. There's a strong difference in Fi-Fe, you have low-ish T, and overall you seem drawn to N perceptions of things.

I'm not sure which test you took but have you tried this one? It's quite a good one, from memory.

Nothing is fixed, everything changes.

Ta-da!
If nothing is fixed and everything changes this would mean change itself is also fixed, which would be contradictory. :D

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks [MENTION=5871]Southern Kross[/MENTION]. I did take the test you suggested and I've got this:

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************ (24.8)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) *********************************** (35.7)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************** (38.2)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************* (33.6)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************* (21.5)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) **************** (16.8)
limited use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *************************** (27.8)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ****************************************** (42.2)
excellent use

It is super clear that I am Fi-dom, but my Ne and Ni are still almost borderline. I don't know if it has anything to do with my enneagram and instinctual variant and socionics, but I cannot really say I haven't quite figured myself out.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
If nothing is fixed and everything changes this would mean change itself is also fixed, which would be contradictory. :D

Yes change is fixed. It doesn't mean change is fixed and therefore doesn't change, it means change would eventually take place. The time taken for things to change obviously varies.

I think a better phrase would be, change is inevitable.

In MBTI terms however life isn't probably long enough to change one's personality but if something traumatic takes place or the opposite; you have a huge wakeup call, your personality might change. Maybe if we live for about 200 years our personality would change.

*Imagines you as an ISTJ, with well developed Fi of course. You can keep your precious FI :D.*

It is super clear that I am Fi-dom, but my Ne and Ni are still almost borderline. I don't know if it has anything to do with my enneagram and instinctual variant and socionics, but I cannot really say I haven't quite figured myself out.

Indeed you are.

I think it's your instinctual variant. Sp/Sxs seems to oppose Ne in sometimes.

Edit - Fuckit I just realized you've changed your variant to Sx/So.