• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] JK Rowling has self-typed as INFJ

Studmuffin23

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I've read several Bowie biographies, listened to each album at least once, and watched countless interviews and behind-the-scenes footage (i.e. documentaries)--the man is anything but INFJ.

curious how you came to that conclusion.

I know ISFP is the popular choice for Bowie, but I'm not quite sure that's accurate either.

Actually, I did not come to that conclusion all by myself (originally typed him as INFP). I was persuaded by an argument made by someone else on another forum (an INFP, by the way), and I agree with his analysis.

Bowie is all about social commentary (Fe/Ti) expressed in an abstract way (Ni), mostly through meaning and symbolic representation (once again, Ni).

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually, I did not come to that conclusion all by myself (originally typed him as INFP). I was persuaded by an argument made by someone else on another forum (an INFP, by the way), and I agree with his analysis.

Bowie is all about social commentary (Fe/Ti) expressed in an abstract way (Ni), mostly through meaning and symbolic representation (once again, Ni).

I would guess INTJ. Second guess ISFP, third guess INTP. Lyrics wise, his songs remind me a bit of Damon Albarn's lyrics (another NTJ) in that, yes, there is much social commentary (depending on which era) but from a very detached perspective. I could see how an INFJ might write similar lyrics from an alienated place, but I don't see Fe in Bowie's lyrics. Occasionally he has tried to write lyrics as though he were the sagely humanitarian, but more often than not it feels forced (i.e. Tin Machine era or even Scary Monsters). The man is a Fi user, but I doubt a Fi-dom. His most brutally honest lyrics can be found in the "Berlin trilogy" of albums (Low, 'Heroes' and Lodger)--they'd be a great place to start for anyone interested in pegging down his type. Compare him to a strong Fe user such as Bono who may or may not see himself as the Martin Luther King Jr. of Rock--love him or hate him, he reeks of Fe. Bowie or Albarn try to "Fe" in their lyrics and it doesn't feel all that sincere. However, the Fi is pretty evident, I think.

Apologies for hijacking the thread, perhaps mods can move this discussion to one of the Bowie threads.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
For another fantasy writer, Terry Brooks (the guy who does all the Shannara books) seems pretty INFP.

I loved Elfstones of Shannara. Ahhh memories :)

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Might be because I am older. And so many people have commented to me over the years how 'stern' I look when I don't smile, and how beautiful my smile is. Meaning, there is a huge difference in my face when I smile and when I don't. Though inside I always feel the same, of course.

So, over the years I have come to an understanding of my facial expressions, as I have gotten feedback from others. Then I automatically began including it in my bag of tricks in relating to people, so to speak. :)

Sounds like BRF syndrome, 'bitchy resting face'.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think most fantasy writers are NxFx. Fantasy just requires so much detachment from reality that's difficult to do even for auxilliary N types/dominant Judging types like FiNe or FeNi or TiNe. Since J.K. Rowling is clearly not ENFP, she must be INFJ.

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fantasy just requires so much detachment from reality that's difficult to do even for auxilliary N types/dominant Judging types like FiNe or FeNi or TiNe.

I don't see how that would be true, either the part about detachment from reality or the part about J-doms having difficulty with fantasy. It also ignores the sensors who write fantasy.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't see how that would be true, either the part about detachment from reality or the part about J-doms having difficulty with fantasy. It also ignores the sensors who write fantasy.

There's also the fact that different fantasy novels have varying levels of detachment from reality. For example, harry potter is more detached from twilight in the sense that the setting is more fantastical. But LOTR would be more detached from HP because it eliminates the non-magical world entirely. Maybe it isn't about "difficulty" but just less likelihood of creating more fantastical stories than N-doms. Or maybe it is about 'difficulty.' I'm not too sure anymore. It just seems to me that there's a certain 'distance' between N-doms and N-auxiliary. One can float in the air all the time while the other needs some 'ground' time.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
JK is a pretty well rounded INFJ.