• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] JK Rowling has self-typed as INFJ

KML

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Probably outwardly INFJs may appear more serious, but more lighthearted inwardly. On the other hand, INFPs may take themselves more seriously considering that they have an inner judging function while outwardly appearing more relaxed.

It seems to me that INFJ's appear more serious because their primary function is Intuition, not Feeling, so they use it as a tool, consciously, rather than automatically. Whereas for INFP's, we can't help our responses, almost, and they do tend to show on our face, like it or not! Also, it is quite serious on the inside for us, despite the aura of relaxedness we portray :) Any other INFP's agree with this?

KML

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
In fact, this is a very interesting concept overall: that of how Fi and Fe express themselves in expressions.

Yes! Do you have any observations/thoughts on this?? I've commented some of mine already on this thread ...

Susurrus

It seems to me that INFJ's appear more serious because their primary function is Intuition, not Feeling, so they use it as a tool, consciously, rather than automatically. Whereas for INFP's, we can't help our responses, almost, and they do tend to show on our face, like it or not! Also, it is quite serious on the inside for us, despite the aura of relaxedness we portray :) Any other INFP's agree with this?

I always thought that INFPs were better at hiding reactions than Fe users would simply because Fi is not pressured by outside influence to act or emote in a certain way. I can usually tell when an INFJ is angry or confused whereas I have more difficulty with INFPs to know what they're feeling.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes! Do you have any observations/thoughts on this?? I've commented some of mine already on this thread ...

Oh, I think you said it perfectly (better than I could) in our previous post. I don't know much about Fi. I just know my infp friend and colleague used to sometimes offend me with her unchecked facial expressions. She also would be verbally expressive to the point of being inappropriate (others commented on this too, not just me). Her Fi was just unchecked. I'm not sure why. She was authentic, yes. But Fi-ers sometimes misbelieve that what they perceive as authentic is an objective, not subjective, feeling; and is understood by all. I don't mean to pick on her, she's just my usual example of INFP that I know intimately.

Fe doms smile a lot! And are probably the most aware of body language, wouldn't you agree?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I always thought that INFPs were better at hiding reactions than Fe users would simply because Fi is not pressured by outside influence to act or emote in a certain way. I can usually tell when an INFJ is angry or confused whereas I have more difficulty with INFPs to know what they're feeling.

Fe is the best at portraying what they want you to see. Not Fi. If you can tell the infj is angry, then they want you to know they are angry. Otherwise, they would easily hide it. :)

Infps, I think, know what they are feeling very well usually, or can figure it out, but they might have a hard time getting that across to the other person, because of their lack of Fe. They also are very concerned that they are understood correctly.

That is my experience anyway.

Also, Fe acts in the best, most efficient way necessary for the other person/people. It isn't about 'pressure' but about purpose and intent. Fe is polished and smooth. Fi can come out jaggedy because the person is more internally inclined, not outwardly inclined.

KML

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I don't know if Fi doms show their feelings through their face.. or if that is an Fe thing..

Are INFJs more serious than INFPs?

Do you have it backwards?

Yes, I dont know? But if you look at the Celebrity Types site, for example, you will notice that the INFJ's are definitely more serious, or mysterious looking, than the INFP's. Also, every INFJ I know is friendly but also a bit far away. The INFP's seems definitely friendly, quite sweet. As for feelings showing on the face, now I think about it, INFJ's do show very strong feelings ...
I'm thinking of myself here ... I am definitely NOT an INFJ but everyone says my feelings reflect what others are telling me, or rather, my own response to what others are telling me (which is usually empathy though sometimes not!) I don't say out loud what I'm feeling and I'm not wildly comforting, often I don't know what to say (other than to ask questions to get them to talk more and to help them figure out what's going on), but people feel heard by me just because of my facial expressions! Since I am not an INFJ, I assumed this was an Fi thing, rather than an Fe thing? What do you think Evee?

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, I dont know? But if you look at the Celebrity Types site, for example, you will notice that the INFJ's are definitely more serious, or mysterious looking, than the INFP's. Also, every INFJ I know is friendly but also a bit far away. The INFP's seems definitely friendly, quite sweet. As for feelings showing on the face, now I think about it, INFJ's do show very strong feelings ...

Celebritytypes has JK Rowling typed as INFP, lol.

I'm thinking of myself here ... I am definitely NOT an INFJ but everyone says my feelings reflect what others are telling me, or rather, my own response to what others are telling me (which is usually empathy though sometimes not!) I don't say out loud what I'm feeling and I'm not wildly comforting, often I don't know what to say (other than to ask questions to get them to talk more and to help them figure out what's going on), but people feel heard by me just because of my facial expressions! Since I am not an INFJ, I assumed this was an Fi thing, rather than an Fe thing? What do you think Evee?

I dunno.

Susurrus

Fe is the best at portraying what they want you to see. Not Fi. If you can tell the infj is angry, then they want you to know they are angry. Otherwise, they would easily hide it. :)

Infps, I think, know what they are feeling very well usually, or can figure it out, but they might have a hard time getting that across to the other person, because of their lack of Fe. They also are very concerned that they are understood correctly.

Also, Fe acts in the best, most efficient way necessary for the other person/people. It isn't about 'pressure' but about purpose and intent. Fe is polished and smooth. Fi can come out jaggedy because the person is more internally inclined, not outwardly inclined.

That was very insightful, thank you!

KML

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Fe doms smile a lot! And are probably the most aware of body language, wouldn't you agree?

Well I'm not sure. When you look at the Celebrity Types site, all the INFJ's are quite serious or mysterious looking, like they'd be harder to know. The INFP's on the other hand are sweet and freindly looking, seem more approachable. I know, for me, I am approachable and not mysterious seeming at all and have been wondering whether this makes me an extroverted feeler or an introverted feeler?

With regard to body language, well I don't think much about that myself. On the one hand I can be very unaware of people, but if I notice them or am focused on them, I tend to mirror them very naturally, and would only rarely miss something important being said, if you know what I mean. Usually I would ask a question to You are an INFJ, does this sound like you or different?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know. You sounds sort of infjish. :)

I said Fe DOM, not Fe aux. Yeah, I think Fe aux would be more mysterious looking because of the Ni.

I can miss important things sometimes because I can get honed in on one idea or thought, and into that one thought, so much so that I will miss all the other stuff going on. I'm usually not as good as other types with being able to remember exact things or even major things the person said or did. Yet, I must do something 'right' because people seem to like talking to me. Maybe because I am genuinely interested usually in what they have to say, and learning about them.

What about you?

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nobody's complained that she can't possibly be an INFJ because it's such a rare type? You've let me down, TypoC.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
She's very extroverted. Wouldn't be surprised if she was neither infp or infj. She really worked the circuit to get where she is...

KML

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I don't know. You sounds sort of infjish. :)

I said Fe DOM, not Fe aux. Yeah, I think Fe aux would be more mysterious looking because of the Ni.

I can miss important things sometimes because I can get honed in on one idea or thought, and into that one thought, so much so that I will miss all the other stuff going on. I'm usually not as good as other types with being able to remember exact things or even major things the person said or did. Yet, I must do something 'right' because people seem to like talking to me. Maybe because I am genuinely interested usually in what they have to say, and learning about them.

What about you?

Yes, that's what I'm like too. I get really honed in on a conversation. Once, the house was literally on fire and I didn't notice ... I did notice that my husband was busying around and that something was going on, but I figured it was sorted, whatever it was, so carried on with the intense convo I was having. I am really very confused about my type though as every other INFJ I meet is very different to me. Maybe I am ENFJ but I just dont relate at all to any others who are also typed as ENFJ and am not really interested in leading, more in influencing, and preferably in writing! :)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No one finds me friendly or approachable or emotionally open in person. People nag at me to smile, complain they cannot tell how I feel, project stuff onto me, etc. I do get strangers making emotional confessions to me, but that is at odds with how I am perceived socially.

This is almost entirely a 9 vs 4 enneagram thing for INFPs. The 9 INFPs I know do have a much more approachable, relaxed, friendly aura and they more readily express positive emotion. They don't use emotional expression so much as a TOOL, however, which does seem more Fe over all, but they do not come across as blank or cold.

I honestly do use emotional expression as a tool, but it's crappy "faux Fe" I put on to avoid being stigmatized so much for not being a typical gushy girl. However, when I do have genuinely strong emotion and a suitable context/reason to express it, then I'm more passionate and intense than my e9 friends. I may keep this at bay because it's not the easy warmth of the e9 and it can be disturbing to people.

INFJs seem more controlled, even if they become very expressive. It all seems "calculated". Being Ni-dom, they can seem expressionless & not extremely emotive too, which I think is more introversion than anything. Te-dom seem highly expressive & animated to me, as do all extroverts, so I think that has way less to do with Feeling than Extroversion.

Anyway, on-topic: I don't like this author or the fantasy genre in general. I think the fantasy genre is mistakenly associated with iNtuition, when fantasy itself is not iNtuition in the Jungian sense. So much in the fantasy genre is very straight-forward story-telling (fantastical elements, but lacking in real symbolism and developed themes, so that it's just action & plot in a whimsical setting), which is always how this author has struck me, although I am admittedly not well-acquainted with her books because their very concept doesn't interest me.

blahblahbob

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
No one finds me friendly or approachable or emotionally open in person. People nag at me to smile, complain they cannot tell how I feel, project stuff onto me, etc. I do get strangers making emotional confessions to me, but that is at odds with how I am perceived socially.

This is almost entirely a 9 vs 4 enneagram thing for INFPs. The 9 INFPs I know do have a much more approachable, relaxed, friendly aura and they more readily express positive emotion. They don't use emotional expression so much as a TOOL, however, which does seem more Fe over all, but they do not come across as blank or cold.

I honestly do use emotional expression as a tool, but it's crappy "faux Fe" I put on to avoid being stigmatized so much for not being a typical gushy girl. However, when I do have genuinely strong emotion and a suitable context/reason to express it, then I'm more passionate and intense than my e9 friends. I may keep this at bay because it's not the easy warmth of the e9 and it can be disturbing to people.

INFJs seem more controlled, even if they become very expressive. It all seems "calculated". Being Ni-dom, they can seem expressionless & not extremely emotive too, which I think is more introversion than anything. Te-dom seem highly expressive & animated to me, as do all extroverts, so I think that has way less to do with Feeling than Extroversion.

Anyway, on-topic: I don't like this author or the fantasy genre in general. I think the fantasy genre is mistakenly associated with iNtuition, when fantasy itself is not iNtuition in the Jungian sense. So much in the fantasy genre is very straight-forward story-telling (fantastical elements, but lacking in real symbolism and developed themes, so that it's just action & plot in a whimsical setting), which is always how this author has struck me, although I am admittedly not well-acquainted with her books because their very concept doesn't interest me.

Tolkien was worth it.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I believe her. The "muggles vs. wizards" thing never sat well with me. Too much othering for the work of your prototypical INFP.

Agreed; Fe not Fi. The Harry Potter books have a social justice undercurrent, and this is something that NFJs project effortlessly.

melomania

MBTI Type
INFP

That is pretty spot on in my experience. I usually know what I'm feeling but I might not always be able to easily find words to describe it to someone else. I also have a really hard time letting things go if I don't feel like I got the resolution that I was looking for. For example, if my husband and I are talking something out, and he doesn't respond in a way that lets me know he heard the point I'm trying to illustrate, then I'll get really obnoxious and keep repeating myself, like a loop, or I'll keep bringing the conversation up at later dates until I feel like it's been resolved (ultimately, meaning we both fully understand where the other is coming from).