User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post

Two intelligent people with similar values will get along with, and appreciate each other.

Oh how I hate thee, label of intelligence, bane of unity, father of ego.

The statement would be very much the same if it read

"Two people with similar values will get along with and appreciate each other."

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by absoluteuncertainty View Post
    Oh how I hate thee, label of intelligence, bane of unity, father of ego.

The statement would be very much the same if it read

"Two people with similar values will get along with and appreciate each other."
    No, not really. There is no cure for stupidity. Two non-intelligent people wont get along just fine because they are much too small-minded to understand one another. Keirsey's insight concerning the correlation between N and diplomacy skills was a profound one.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    No, not really. There is no cure for stupidity. Two non-intelligent people wont get along just fine because they are much too small-minded to understand one another.
    I cannot find any source for your claim. I welcome you to defend your position! I cannot find any correlation between intelligence and "good" relationships, for any measurement of "good".

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by absoluteuncertainty View Post
    I cannot find any source for your claim. I welcome you to defend your position! I cannot find any correlation between intelligence and "good" relationships, for any measurement of "good".
    here comes a three page Fi essay. Have fun reading.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Ayrab View Post
    here comes a three page Fi essay. Have fun reading.
    Not afraid of reading, what I'm afraid of is peoples' tendacy to pass intelligence as 'good' or 'correct' and stupidity as 'evil' or 'wrong', when I can't find anything to even suggest intelligence correlates to successful (in any measurement) living.

Now, try to ignore the outliers, as the direction we've took is everyday living... Ignore the Albert Einsteins and those unfunctional poor souls that lie around all day having sex and deficating on themselves...

MBTI
    ENFP

The reason stupidity is seen as bad probably stems from an evolutionary perspective on the matter. Obviously, those choking on their own drool because they are so stupid do not benifit the human species pursuit to thrive, while intelligent people are seen as capable of helping this cause.

Now if you mean being a simpleton is not bad, I agree. But being stupid while having the capacity to improve ones standing is really a waste, and waste is seen as bad. In my book, if you don't try to harm anything you are good, and if you are a people/nature harming bastard, then you are bad.

MBTI
    ENFP

Well let us reflect upon the statement that I intially objected:

No, not really. There is no cure for stupidity. Two non-intelligent people wont get along just fine because they are much too small-minded to understand one another.

This statement seems to me to be not only untrue, but filled with bias against something the author doesn't even understand. I offer an avenue of clarification: to show impartial evidence that intelligence, or lack thereof, has correlation with leading a successful life.

Personally, I agree that intelligence is a societally revered quality, and it saddens me that to suggest that intelligence is irrelevent to a discussion is taboo.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Intelligence is not entirely static. Nature provides our upper and lower limits to how our minds can respond to environment, however, you can take just about anyone from point A to B if they have a desire to expand their mind. We can always choose to grow at least a little. The persistent choice to continually grow at least a little can have a remarkable effect over time. Also, a gifted mind, if squandered, can turn surprisingly stupid. I have considered that one of the best signs of intelligence is the ability to perceive our upper limit. Stupidity is often lacking the ability to be aware of what we either do not or cannot comprehend.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INXX

I can only speak for myself, but "chill out" and "calm down" are trite commands that would annoy me. When I'm letting off steam, trying to clamp down the lid could lead to an explosion.

I can be as logical as anybody. I got an A in my logic class in college. Logic is easy. Emotional wisdom is much more complex and much harder. It takes maturity.

As for what to do in response, I think that first of all, you just need to accept the emotion. It is okay. It won't kill them. It won't kill you. Second of all, I don't know...it depends on the situation. Human emotional issues are complicated mothers.

MBTI
    INXX

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    You know, the Fs mentioned in the OP will find one way or the other to be offended. There is nothing I can do to stop being an 'asshole' even when I try not to offend them!

Murkrow is on the right track. In most cases, you just state your reasoning and walk away, it doesn't matter if they registered what you said. Its hopeless because their emotional reaction will eclpise their faculties of rational cognition to the point where they simply cannot arrive at an objective understanding of what you said.

In most cases you won't need to be on good terms with such Fs. You may as well say nothing at all. But if you want your voice heard, do that.

If you need to be on good terms with them, than use my method.
    Okay, I need to point out that for Jung, the feeling function is not the equivalent of emotion. It is a way of thinking. It is a less linear and narrow way of thinking, a way that sees more interconnections, that takes more factors into consideration simultaneously. You do not understand the feeling function at all.

Need I point out that lack of influence of the feeling function has gotten the world into the unsustainable mess it is currently in. We have a lot of ecological, political and social problems in our world. We solve a problem only to create another. It's what we do as a species when we are too intellectual and not paying enough attention to what you simplify with the label of "harmony".

And do you really think that any MBTI type is incapable of reason? Do you really believe only NTs can reason or something? It's almost like you think you're another species. This is getting so weird; it's worse than that trite Mars-Venus crap.