User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    THE TRUTH IS, THAT HOMOSEXUALITY IS NOT WRONG!!!

And that it never has been, nor never will be wrong, regardless of how many ignoridiots there are who happen to believe otherwise.
    Wrong, no. Weird, yes. To me homosexuality is similar to affection for Rob Schneider movies. Whatever works for you, just don't expect everyone to get all giddy over your taste.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by sriv View Post
    Moral relativity contradicts itself. You'll first have to throw off your humanity to become a true relativist.
    It doesn't deserve much intellectual attention.
    yeah, see I know I'm a contradiction. and I'd rather be a contradiction then not humane.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    We've already been off topic for a while.
    There are some things that appear to be good to most people. Following a sense of good on that premise would be Fe.

I try to satisfy every part of my mind with my morals. My Ti, Te, Fi, and Fe, and in their own strange way, my perception, too. But even my moral code is one that I must admit is subjective. It's pragmatic, utilitarian, and pluralistic, and still subjective!

Can you bring me a brick of moral good?
    Can you write me an a equation that proves morality?

I know why a person would want to think that their moral code was the truth. It's obviously self-empowering, and provides a sense of safety. But it's niceness doesn't make it the objective truth.
    Self-empowering, sense of safety?!?!?!??!

You couldn't be more wrong buddy, my moral code, in effect, has been a primary source of many years and instances of deep sadness, disappointment, disillusionment and, of course, suffering.

Can you bring me a brick of moral good?
    Can you write me an a equation that proves morality?
    Don't give me that bollocks.

The truth, i.e. reality, i.e. that which exists, abstract though it may at times be, does not "become" true when proven, but rather is rationally proven to be true, which, it always happened to be.

And, um, can you bring me a brick of love or write me an equation that proves its existence?

No, you cannot.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFP

This thread fails....

How do you treat an overly emotional anyone is dependent on the person? I am an NF but I don't go around crying like a bitch about every little thing. On the contrary, I think my Te makes me seem more like an aligator than anything.

The problem here, is that you are dealing with people, not computer programs, so their is no 12 step process to cure anything.

Conclusion: EPIC FAIL

EDIT: I have not read any of the other posts in here... Man I wish I could go back in time and slap who ever thought that feeling and thinking would be the best way to describe these functions.

heart on fire

I cannot be understanding of those who are not humane, therefore I cannot be a relativist.

You couldn't be more wrong buddy, my moral code, in effect, has been a primary source of many years and instances of deep sadness, disappointment, disillusionment and, of course, suffering.
    It's nearly impossible to explain to someone else.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Fight, fight, fight!!!!!!!!

(Sorry, had to say it)
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Sure. But unless you're a sociopath(and you clearly aren't) you can't get rid of your sense of right and wrong. So that suffering is automatic. You ease the pain with self-justification and a sense of certainty. It would be even more painful to have a sense of morality while admitting that it does not objectively exist. I know.

Don't give me that bollocks.

The truth, i.e. reality, i.e. that which exists, abstract though it may at times be, does not "become" true when proven, but rather is rationally proven to be true, which, it always happened to be.
    Always happened to be? So did morality exist before lifeforms did?

And tell me this, Descartes. How do you prove moral good as an extension of some foundational a priori?(finally, a proper use for the term) That would be the rationalist method after all.

And, um, can you bring me a brick of love or write me an equation that proves its existence?

No, you cannot.
    Well... I can show that it's taking place in the brain, via neurological scans. Surely the belief in moral code creates a process in the brain, too. But the values of love and moral good cannot be measured and they cannot be objectively defined.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Sometimes I really have a hard time calming down NF's, or F's in general. Saying "chill out" or "calm down" certainly hasn't worked well, neither does using logic sometimes, but I have used cold hard logic to calm people down before. Do I try talking more slowly and in a soft voice, maybe I'm talking to fast?

I argue with people a lot and with NF guys this is usually what can set them off, that or I'll make a joke and they get offended. And with girls, if they are crying, I am rendered completely useless no matter what I say it seems. It's like they have already made the decision they are going to cry and there is nothing I can do.
    The answer is in your avatar. Get them to repeat a series of numbers--a telephone number, a date, something like that. It engages sequential processing functions in the left brain; emotion is generally a result of right brain activity.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    The answer is in your avatar. Get them to repeat a series of numbers--a telephone number, a date, something like that. It engages sequential processing functions in the left brain; emotion is generally a result of right brain activity.

Should they gargle saltwater, too?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

I tend to have a pretty good control of my emotions, for an NF at least. If I become overly emotional towards you, you have been insulting, demeaning, and making my life miserable for too long and there is little chance you can redeem yourself now. Getting to this point with me is not something that happens easily.

However, for the more emotionally volatile NFs, I could offer some general ideas. First, don't invalidate our emotion. Emotions are oil and logic is water, and they don't mix well. If the oil is on fire, you do NOT want to pour water on it! This can be incredibly frustrating to the NT, especially if the NF has taken on the 'victim' role in an overly dramatic fashion.

It's better to ask questions that will allow me to vent initially. How do I feel? What happened? Why did the situation make me feel that way? In a way, you can be helpful in me understanding the underlying cause of my emotional reaction. Also, if you detect that I'm over reacting to something specific, you can start to ask questions to bring that out. However, if your attempt fails, let me keep my stupid emotional overreaction for now and come back to it later.

It definitely requires patience, and for an NT I can bet it's frustrating. The question is, does the advantages NF outweigh the frustrations it may cause?