• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Are INFPs "sexy"?

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
i find pretty NFP's pretty attractive in general. INFP"s could be pretty nuts too once you get to know them.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The INFP is almost a cosmical type.

On the one hand, there is deep empathy for individuals the INFP interacts with (Introversion of Feeling makes them more focused on the individual than the group), but on the other hand the global (N) view makes them deeply concerned with the bigger person-centered questions. (Such as the future of the human race and the possibility of the outcomes of large groups of individuals they are concerned with, such as for instance their nation, their corporation or a team of some kind).

Yet, again, we should note that Thinking is the inferior faculty of this type. This means that it is most servile of all functions, and specifically most obedient to the dominant faculty--Feeling. It is with Thinking that we derive our worldview, as only Thinking is concerned with what an entity is, Feeling is only concerned with how we emote towards an entity, Intuition and Sensation are completely irrelevant to this question as they merely collect information without passing any explicit judgments.

Accordingly, the INFP will likely have a very self-serving worldview (unless Thinking happens to be distinctly developed, which it rarely is). Uninhibited feeling gravitates towards things that make one feel good, and the only way it can be inhibited is by Thinking. This does not happen for a typical INFP. Quite the opposite does. Instead of putting limitations on the chaotic and egocentric will of Feeling of the INFP, Thinking (because it is servile to Feeling the most) conjures ways to defend the aforementioned value judgments of Feeling.

Extroverted Intuition is also servile to Feeling, but not as significantly, however because it is a clearly pronounced (secondary) function, it allows for a myriad of ideas to be conjured which directly support the whims of Introverted Feeling. For this reason the INFP will have many ways, some highly ingenious to appease his/her whims.

The INFP is highly sensitive to other people and will be very considerate, but is even more sensitive to his/her own Feelings, no matter how frivolous or jejune they may be. Thus, the distinction between a good cause and a bad cause is not based on any objective criteria (that is the business of Thinking!) but based on what 'feels good', hence, whatever agrees with the INFP's instincts is good and what does not, is not. Quite elaborate self-deception takes place as a result of the work of Ne-Te to convince the INFP that the cause is noble rather than a mere appeasement of a whim. Ne and Te in their own right are concerned with processing abstract information about the world and analyzing it, but because these faculties are subordinate to Introverted Feeling, there is no objective percpetion or analysis of the external world, these activities are carred out as strictly means to the end of affirmation of the Fi inspired prejudices.

There is very little by way of sincerity with regard to how this type functions, contrary to what appears to be the case on a very superficial level. The INFP is driven to please others in order to be in harmony with them. However, unlike the INTP and many T oriented types, their feeling lacks this 'child-like purity' aspect which is often brought to our attention in INTP profiles.

Because Feeling is the dominant faculty of the INFP, the identity of this type heavily depends on the Feelings it entertains. For this reason, the INFP engages the emotions of others for self-serving ends, strictly to receive positive emotion in return. This is the striking difference between the Thinking oriented type and the INFP, the former deems assisting others as a good thing in itself, and the INFP merely uses this activity as an instrument of appeasement of impulse. The appeasement of impulse is the primary drive of this type in life, the secondary is contriving elaborate ways to befool oneself that this is not the case.

One may be attracted to the INFP based on what they appear to be on the surface, specifically, deep and highly emotionally sensitive. Deep? There is depth of sentiment no doubt, but can we regard this as legitimate depth as such a quality is associated with a virtue of character? Not at all, as the causes the INFP fights for are not deep at all, because the causes are determined by Thinking (as Thinking decides what the world is) because Thinking is very primitive and subordinate to the impulses of the INFP, the causes this type feels passionate about are often unremarkable at best, and opprobrious at worst. The 'INFPs versus the ESTJs' myspace group is the case in point. One may ask, what about the INFPs who fight for the end of war, getting the homeless off the streets, or raising the salaries?

Two likely answers, either the INFPs in question have developed their Thinking (very few do, hence, the ones we have in mind here are not representative of this type) or what is much more common is, simply acting out on their Feeling which relentlessly urge them to seek approbation from others. Merely identified with the cause that others value and spoke up in their endeavor to get praise from others.

In other words, they were not fighting for anything noble, they did not even know what they were doing, they were merely acting out on their impulse to try to be liked by others, as they usually do. (The nature of Feeling strives to generate positive sentiment, therefore longs for harmony with others).

Thus, the INFP is not deep as he/she may have appeared to be at first. Sensitive? Only in a very insincere way. Feigning concern for others as means to the end of getting closer to them in order to appease their own longing for a positive emotive bond with others.

With all things considered, the INFP has been a false prophet. Why did I call this a cosmical type? Because, almost like in a fairy tale, he/she ostensibly has all the qualities one may hope to see in a friend/partner, but alas, they are illusory. This type appears to be deep, yet is actually very superficial. This type appears to be sensitive, yet is primarily driven to appease his/her own impulses. Appears to be moderately intelligent, as Introversion is mistaken for reflectiveness, yet that is not the case also, the inferior Te is less than sharp at solving complex problems to say the very least. The INFP appears calm and put together? Another trait that is mistakenly associated with Introversion, but that is not the case also, being Fi dominant the INFP is fraught with vulgar and torrential passion which tears him/her up from within, and those who do not carefully study the psyche of this type remain wholly ignorant of the nature of this process because it is internally grounded.

Hence, what exactly is good about the INFP? It is the most intensely Feeling oriented type, thus is excellent at striking a rapport with others. Hence, most Feelers should appreciate this as they too long for harmony with others. Feelers with a dependency problem or a low self-esteem should also appreciate the INFP for this reason, as there is no type more emotionally supportive than this. Domineering Thinking types should also appreciate this tendency within the INFP, as the primary way the INFP can appease his/her impulses is by generating positive emotions through interaction with others. Hence, the INFP will without a doubt conform to the wishes of the domineering Thinker almost exclusively with the purpose of retaining harmony. Perhaps the same domineering Thinker will appreciate the INFP evoking their emotions (as they may have trouble evoking their emotions on their own because the inferior Feeling is intensely supressed) and of course, because the INFP cannot easily stand up for his or her needs, he/she cannot insist on engaging the emotions to any greater degree than the Thinker finds desirable. Hence, it is a propitious situation for the Thinker, as if he chooses to have assistance with evoking his emotions, this service is available to him, yet nothing stops him from choosing otherwise, and if he elects the former, only he has the voice with regard to what extent the emotions are to be evoked.

Hence, there are indeed positive attributes to the INFP, yet if one wishes for a partner or a long term friend that he can respect and treat as his/her equal, I highly recommend turning elsewhere. The whole temper of mind of the INFP and the personalities associated with is aimed at the sole end and goal of magnifying passion and supressing the intellect, and precisely this is what prevents the type from having the strength of character one needs in order to command respect from others.

In summary,

-Nature of Feeling gravitates towards what feels good.
-The only way this process could be intervened with is through the disciplinary judgment of Thinking.
-Thinking of the INFP is subordinate to Feeling (in a fashion typical of an inferior faculty to be subordinate to the dominant), therefore does not discipline feeling, but supports it.
-Because point one is the case, the INFP is unable to have a clear view of who they are and how they ought to live their lives, and as a result lack a backbone. Their life tends to be an incessant overflow of torrential, self-serving and in almost all notable respects vulgar passion.

*This post was about applied typology, not pure typology. In other words, it is not about the unconscious tendencies of the INFP, but about how a typical INFP tends to be. The only exception to the above is the case of the INFP with a well developed Thinking faculty which is indeed rare. But even in that case, one can avoid the problems listed above to a certain degree as the inferior function can have only a limited influence on the psyche of the type despite being well developed. This is the case because naturally we are drawn to our dominant faculty, and much self-discipline is required to reverse this tendency. Only very few INFPs with a well developed Te will be able to overcome most of the maladies of their temperament.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
You know, most times Blue Wing seems to offend everyone (including me) with his posts. Now I'm starting to appreciate them because I really never see enough profiles of INFPs showing them in a darker light...but yeah, it still hurts, sorta :)

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
First of all, I appreciate the summary at the end because I have issues with reading comprehension. Although this seems to be of a negative hue, Like Chris has stated, It is still very interesting. A lot of the assumptions seem to line up, in some way, with what I know about myself, particularly

"In other words, they were not fighting for anything noble, they did not even know what they were doing, they were merely acting out on their impulse to try to be liked by others, as they usually do."

This snippit is actually something that I have been trying to directly combat, or at least make myself aware of. Though I have an inkling that my current view may be an inaccurate one, and that this is only a symptom of a larger issue.

Regardless of the accuracy, I thank you for giving something to think about.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
huh. bluewing, i don't know exactly how right you are, but as i read that, one person kept coming to mind: casey anthony.

hathor_sekhmet

MBTI Type
INFP
@ BlueWing:

From occasional lurking, I've seen your posts before... didn't you used to like INFPs a lot? Almost to the point where it seemed like you put them on a pedestal. I wonder what happened.

Anyway, I think you've only magnified the (potentially) negative qualities of the type. You could take any type and do the same thing (I could grossly generalize and say that INTPs are emotionally dead inside) so I'm not that bothered.

The only thing I found offensive was the line "yet if one wishes for a partner or a long term friend that he can respect and treat as his/her equal, I highly recommend turning elsewhere." Who does "one" refer to, exactly? I've been long-term friends with several people who highly respect me. Maybe I wouldn't be YOUR perfect long-term friend or partner, but to say "one"?

In any case, due to my nagging INFP desire for harmony I'll offer you a hug anyway, for whatever INFP betrayed you or disappointed you or whatever. :hug:

hathor_sekhmet

MBTI Type
INFP
*rages* F U!!!!!! *punches stone wall repeatedly*

LOL I'll modify my statement:

INTPs are emotionally dead inside, except when they explode in a fit of uncontrollable anger. Then they go on being emotionless robots.

:cheers:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
No it came with that voice over his shoulder, always making him turn his head, during conversations. But see for yourself

<--------- *look left now* :D

heart

heart on fire
Oh that's a nice one to carry around, the mini-libertine model. :D I am both happy and envious for you. I have to settle for carrying a devil around in my pocket and his pitchfork hurts! :devil:

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Regardless of the accuracy, I thank you for giving something to think about.

Illustrious one,

You are not in the position to comment on accuracy because that is the business of Thinking. You may be however, if A)You are one of those exceptional INFPs who are competent at the use of Thinking. B) You are actually a more Thinking oriented type who mistakenly regards oneself as an INFP.
@ BlueWing:

From occasional lurking, I've seen your posts before... didn't you used to like INFPs a lot? Almost to the point where it seemed like you put them on a pedestal. I wonder what happened.

Anyway, I think you've only magnified the (potentially) negative qualities of the type. You could take any type and do the same thing (I could grossly generalize and say that INTPs are emotionally dead inside) so I'm not that bothered. .

This was not focused on the negative traits of the INFP, but on all traits. What I have described in my post is very common of those of us who tend to do poorly at the use of Thinking. Yes, INTPs do poorly at the use of Feeling, however, less negative consequences follow as a result of poor use of Feeling rather than as a result of poor use of Thinking. This is the case because Thinking is necessary to organize all of our activities in life. No other function can claim to be nearly as busy as this one, therefore Feeling is less active and for this reason poor use of the Feeling faculty leads to less negative consequences than the poor use of a Thinking function.

hathor_sekhmet

MBTI Type
INFP
This was not focused on the negative traits of the INFP, but on all traits. What I have described in my post is very common of those of us who tend to do poorly at the use of Thinking. Yes, INTPs do poorly at the use of Feeling, however, less negative consequences follow as a result of poor use of Feeling rather than as a result of poor use of Thinking. This is the case because Thinking is necessary to organize all of our activities in life. No other function can claim to be nearly as busy as this one.

You're ignoring/avoiding the point I really took offense at, but ok.

So you focused on "all traits," but with a decidedly negative slant. I say it's a subjective thing, whether poor use of Thinking leads to more negative consequences than poor use of Feeling.

I wouldn't be so peeved if you stated all that as an opinion, but you say it as if it is fact, and to be taken as such by everyone. It is not a fact that INFPs make terrible long-term friends or partners for a general "one." For some, probably, but for others we can be emotional bedrocks.

Holy jeeze I'm taking this way too seriously. Who knew I'd become one of those people who argue on Internet forums lol.

:laugh:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
he always posts after my posts but he never comments on them, I feel excited :D

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You're ignoring/avoiding the point I really took offense at, but ok.

So you focused on "all traits," but with a decidedly negative slant. I say it's a subjective thing, whether poor use of Thinking leads to more negative consequences than poor use of Feeling.

I wouldn't be so peeved if you stated all that as an opinion, but you say it as if it is fact, and to be taken as such by everyone. It is not a fact that INFPs make terrible long-term friends or partners for a general "one." For some, probably, but for others we can be emotional bedrocks.

Holy jeeze I'm taking this way too seriously. Who knew I'd become one of those people who argue on Internet forums lol.

:laugh:

All statements are either true or false. No such thing as 'my opinion'. Accordingly, if a statement is true, every reasonable person is obligated to believe it. Only if it is false, reasonableness does not obligate you to believe a statement. Hence, to point out a set of statements is false, you need to identify the premises within the argument, show how they are unwarranted, or show how the argument is invalid. Until you do this, as a reasonable person, you're obligated to believe my conclusion.

Of course, there is a way out of this for you, its your preroragative to declare yourself unreasonable, in that case you may believe anything that you want.

But in that case your comments will carry no weight in this reasonable discussion. You might as well not make the commentary, or do so with the understanding that they will be disregarded.

hathor_sekhmet

MBTI Type
INFP
All statements are either true or false. No such thing as 'my opinion'. Accordingly, if a statement is true, every reasonable person is obligated to believe it. Only if it is false, reasonableness does not obligate you to believe a statement. Hence, to point out a set of statements is false, you need to identify the premises within the argument, show how they are unwarranted, or show how the argument is invalid. Until you do this, as a reasonable person, you're obligated to believe my conclusion.

Of course, there is a way out of this for you, its your preroragative to declare yourself unreasonable, in that case you may believe anything that you want.

But in that case your comments will carry no weight in this reasonable discussion. You might as well not make the commentary, or do so with the understanding that they will be disregarded.

Then your statement that it would be better for "one" to turn elsewhere than the INFP for quality long-term friendship/partnership is false. I've already pointed out why. I think real-life experience in relationships trumps abstract theory when it comes to real-life relationships.

I am reasonable to a reasonable degree, as a well-balanced person should be. Of course I cannot be perfectly reasonable like you, dear BlueWing.

I feel like I'm Alice in Wonderland here.

To get back on topic, INFPs are hell of sexy.