User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Am I out of place here?

Senior Member Array

Default Am I out of place here?

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I'll also add one more thing. By engaging in intellectual discussions, I'm actually trying to open up to the people around me. Usually if I seem to connect with some people on that level does it seem possible to engage with them on more intimate levels. Yet as Jennifer mentioned, many people operate on the direct opposite basis.

This would explain alot.

Also, what's wrong with my avatar? I actually picked it to show my less serious side. Oh well, I tried.
    First of all, I like your avatar...a lot. I also make it a point to read your posts, though I may not respond to them because I often feel I don't have anything intelligent to offer. Instead, my posts tend to be too personal, reflective of my natural self-absorption, perhaps. People tend not to respond to them either. They are not, however, small talk. I reveal things here to strangers that I sometimes keep from the people I care about most. Okay, that's weird, but what's the worst that would happen if you showed more of yourself in your posts?

I would genuinely like to know more about you, partly out of my insatiable curiosity about people, but also to lend some context to the intellectual side of your posts. A little balance ain't all bad.

Oh, and definitely keep your sense of humor. I may not get it the first time around, but if I go back and read it over, it usually comes through just fine.
    It's a blessing...and a curse.

Originally Posted by Anja
    I don't have room for shame in my life.

INFJ, 4w5 sx

6w7 sx/so

Sorry to say, but I don't show up in the same threads you do. I find philosophy to be mostly a mine field where I can't adequitely defend myself. I've lived in a cave where my only external sources of information has been science, so unfortunately I'm well behind quite likely everyone on this board. An example, I had no idea who the hell Ayn Rand was, never mind Objectivism untill I finally bothered looking it up from her name showing up all over the damn place here (I also fell asleep after finishing the Wiki article, sorry INTJs).
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

Peguy - I made a comment in one of the two "Herman Hesse" threads about being more interested in hearing people discuss Hesse himself, or, rather ( for me ) more likely the ideas one gets from his stories, than simply...what is his type ? For a lot of members this is the level they're comfortable on. Because your posts are normally the exact opposite of this, and show a great deal of thoughtfulness, I wish there were more people like you. I know that I criticized you about your attitude towards Victor, but I do really appreciate your presence. ( As I do with others, who I may criticize or disagree with from time to time. )

Quite frankly, I'd like to see more members here who are not only thoughtful, but ( in addition to that, to some extent ) who share some of the concerns that people may be more likely to have in their 40's and 50's etc. ( Better yet, for me, if they come from the same socio-economic dues-paying background. )

If a potential new member came along ( who is such an older person ) would they be more likely to be attracted enough to want to stay if they saw a lot of threads titled "Family guy - Yes or No ?" , "What type Birtney Speers ?", "Help With ESFJ fiancee - I Gotta Be Me?" or the kind of things you post ? My knee jerk reaction is to say "They'd like your threads better" but the real answer probably lies somewhere between these two.

I could perfectly understand the perspectives of both sides of the "Should we banter or should we delve into heavy stuff ?" question mentioned earlier. I guess that's why I try to mix them up.

I've noticed that a lot of people don't want to read long posts, no matter what. No matter what. So I sometimes post short punchy things like "Do you always try to eke out the last drops in a container ?" and also stuff that is long enough that it shows that I don't restrict myself to catering only to what young people demand these days. Some points are complex enough that they cannot be summarized into terse remarks/questions without trivializing them. Nor do I always have the time to go back and edit a longer piece into a shorter second draft.

I would agree that neither you or I "fit in" here that well. Maybe that will change someday, and it will be others wondering if they fit in, but I'm not holding my breath on it.

I like the fact that this place is a small enough forum that I get a sense of community. And if you look hard, there are some interesting thoughtful discussions going on here and there, which occupy sections of threads. Occupants of other similar thread sections seem to be more "polemic" driven, which is sometimes mistaken for thoughtful discussion here, but actually only represents a starting point to take off from.

I've noticed that you usually post from a POV of certainty, when not referring to your own life, as though all of the books you read confirm your views. I think a certain view of religion is the central sun around which a lot of your other philosophical or conceptual satellites orbit. And yet I'm often more intrigued by the satellites themselves.

As far as revealing more about ourselves and our personal foibles, I am somewhat reserved also. Perhaps I wouldn't be if I were in a discussion place where I sensed more people coming from a similar perspective. I can almost hear someone shouting "What fun would it be if we all thought exactly the same? it's those very differences that make it worthwhile !" To a certain extent, that's true, of course. But to a certain extent, it's not.

The title of a guide to successful blogging reads "Nobody Cares What You Had For Lunch", but I think that it is also both wrong and right. If you can somehow make yourself "Everyman/Everywoman" while at the same time seemingly just pointing out a thing which is happening to you, this can be quite a success. You'll notice many successful stand-up comedians use this phenomenon to their benefit. They'll start off a scenario that is humorous by getting us to recognize something we mostly all share, but that has not been publicly expressed before. For instance, the first time I had the concept of "political correctness" explained to me, I laughed in recognition, and said "You mean there's actually a word for that now ?" Someone may point out how people arriving at an elevator often assume that the people already queuing up there have not ventured to actually press the button requesting the elevator, and so they will press it again, as though asserting their own will. These things can be worthwhile, even though they are not "intellectual".

Bottom line - For selfish reasons I hope that you don't leave, bit I would understand if you did, because I often consider doing the same thing, for slightly similar reasons.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

Oh boy..........this thread. I'm quite surprised it was revived after so long. In many ways I have to laugh now at this whole situation.

It's a very complicated personal issue, so just bare with me here.

Do I feel out of place anymore? I would have to say no. I've gotten to know many people here, along with engaging in many intellectual discussions as well. And I really do enjoy that balance to the forum.

I do apologize for any condescending tone I protrayed, that certainly was not my intention and I did my best to try to make that clear. I do not see myself as somekind of intellectual superman lording over the ignorant masses.

I agree with Plato's notion that the true philosopher is largely somebody who can articulate more on issues that effect everybody else, and does so as to help others better understand the issues effecting them.

So my main intention is usually to share insights with others and hopefully in the process help enrich their perspectives on things. And of course hopefully the other person in turn will help enrich my perspectives. A geniune two-way dialogue.

I've noticed some people say they find my arguments interesting and would like to respond, but feel/think they don't have much to offer. cherchair mentioned this above and a few others have mentioned this to me as well.

All I can say is, please don't be afraid to offer your views or insights. I do appreciate any thoughtful discussion, whether simple or complex in nature. And I am understanding that not everybody is as articulate as me. In those situations especially, I'll even do my best to further articulate whatever point you're trying to make or add greater context to it. I've done this a bit with other members here.

Long story short: I am interested in talking to you, so don't be afraid.

Another issue I'll bring up is that usually when Im under heavy stress(which I was when I posted this thread), it leads to certain imbalances. And certainly during those times, my more personal interaction skills suffer - and that leads my thinking functions operating in hyperdrive.

So yes, thank you for all the responses, they've been helpful on some levels. However in the end I can only say I am who I am.

Senior Member Array Digital Demi-Fiend's Avatar

You seem okay to me.

Then again, I don't think I really dislike anyone on the forums.

5w4 sx/sp

Yes. buh-bye!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Minister of Propagandhi Array ajblaise's Avatar

Peguy, if you ever want to fully integrate here, you know what you must do.. Stop reading that Bible.

Peguy, you are different from everyone else here, and that's a good thing. Duh.
    Power is the virtue that makes all other virtues possible.
    Youtube - Oversensitive Witches
    Scary Bedtime Prayer

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Peguy, if you ever want to fully integrate here, you know what you must do.. Stop reading that Bible.

Kickin' Ass since 1984 Array GargoylesLegacy's Avatar

Well Peguy, first of all I wanted to say "Welcome to the Club". Sometimes I feel out of Place too here. And Sometimes I feel like People ignore my Posts too. I am not sure if that's true or if it just looks like it to me, for Example because I have much more Time than most Others etc. Heh. =)
    In any Way I wanted to say that I do like you, your Posts and Views. I am often really impressed by what you say. I know, I am a single Person only but whenever you feel like "not fitting in" again, it might help you to know that there are some People who do like you(r Posts). I really appreciate your Intellect and your often very deep Posts. Seriously. Also, if you ever feel like you are stressed-out again (like when you started this Thread, as you said), feel free to contact me. I am probably not as smart as you are, but I do care. =)

- Over and out.
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

ESTP? o.O