User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Sniffles

Well thanks for the responses, I do appreciate it. They seem to confirm many of the conclusions I myself have come to. Mainly the fact that my posts are just too intellectual in quality. That was somewhat the point I was trying to make in my OP, but I was unable to fully articulate it(or in that way).

Well what else can I say? I'm very much interested in more intellectual in-depth topics. Of course, there are few avenues for me to discuss such things. So I guess that explain why I probably put more effort in my debates than others.

I seem to have an opposite view of Jennifer's: I can engage in small talk anytime really(and often do), but it's not everyday you can engage in more in-depth discussions about [insert random philosophical topic]. That's actually my form of fun and relaxation from the hassle of everyday life. To put it another way, it's a break from the endless trivalities I face with elsewhere.

So that's part of the reason why I tend to stay away from the more trival topics. Not only that, I literally do struggle with what to say in such discussions to begin with. I really don't know what to say.

And whenever I do say something, it tends to fall flat on other people. This is especially true when I try to engage in humour. Trust me, I'm not humourless by any means; and I guess many don't notice that my posts are often filled with sarcasm.

I guess here's one example, where I ask Samuel De Mazarin what he's been drinking, and when he answered Bailey's, to which I replied: "I just knew it had to be something Irish."
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ed-talk-3.html

Then here I joke about all the Elvis avatars on the forum:
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...08-post13.html
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...21-post15.html

Then again, addressing Samuel, I engage in more of what I consider my kind of humour:
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/240086-post9.html

So I do engage in humour here, but I guess it's lost on most people. So even when I try to be more trival and humour in nature, I still fall short. People can't tell when Im being serious or being trival, which adds to the frustration on my part.

Although this often seems to apply to out in the open discussions. In more one-on-one discussions I tend to be more geniunely "lively" and less serious in nature. Im hard on the outside, but soft on the inside.

I'm sorry but talking about more personal issues out in the open is very uncomfortable for me. Heck creating this thread and even typing this post is nerve wracking. So Im not intentionally hiding myself, but I literally become tongue-tied when I try talk about myself out in the open.

That's really all I can say for now. Again, thanks for the responses.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

<--- Pegay
    Time is a delicate mistress.

Sniffles

I'll also add one more thing. By engaging in intellectual discussions, I'm actually trying to open up to the people around me. Usually if I seem to connect with some people on that level does it seem possible to engage with them on more intimate levels. Yet as Jennifer mentioned, many people operate on the direct opposite basis.

This would explain alot.

Also, what's wrong with my avatar? I actually picked it to show my less serious side. Oh well, I tried.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Oh dear...
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

You're fine. The world is weird.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    You're fine. The world is weird.
    this is so true.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    They seem to confirm many of the conclusions I myself have come to. ... my posts are just too intellectual in quality.

I'm very much interested in more intellectual in-depth topics. Of course, there are few avenues for me to discuss such things. So I guess that explain why I probably put more effort in my debates than others.
    I addressed this point in my initial response to you, Peguy.

I think you seek praise rather than camaraderie. Elevation instead of kinship.

As I mentioned earlier, your perspectives are interesting; but, insofar as I've read them, haven't offered profundity beyond what one could anticipate to encounter on MBTIc; INTPc; or a forum explicitly dedicated to Theosophy.

You need to look harder at what it is you hope to achieve. People here probably aren't going to cultivate alternative approaches on an issue as opaque as Theism. Many critical thinkers dismiss it as regressive subjectivity; a lack of falsifiable pulp tends to narrow interest.

Empirical judgment is without credible discourse in Theosophy. Faith is belief, absent material evidence. This turns some folks off.

I seem to have an opposite view of Jennifer's: I can engage in small talk anytime really(and often do), but it's not everyday you can engage in more in-depth discussions about [insert random philosophical topic]. That's actually my form of fun and relaxation from the hassle of everyday life. To put it another way, it's a break from the endless trivalities I face with elsewhere.
    Triviality is intimate to the user.

Individual motivation for fora participation is without absolute principle; some think "base" socializing (Fluff Zone content) is desirable over abstract philosophy. Context is invisible to us, Peguy. Let's not develop premature assumptions centered on personal bias.

As you mentioned earlier, you said you desire intellectual connection.

So, find it.

Seek out people with whom you can share your ever-evolving perspective of the shared reality we mutually inhabit. Don't assume that trivial interchange is indicative of a weaker intellectual constitution.

Wildcat; Nocturne; Owl; Victor; Edahn; Jennifer; Toonia; Spartacuss; booyalab; Nocapszy; Ivy (many, many more) - all very intelligent people with unique psychosocial seasoning to savor...

I don't think you'll take offense with my suspicion that the corpus of your present experience is dwarfed by the collective wisdom of the folks above...

Many more are out there...

I'd check my technique if I were you. Going fishless is more often than not the result of poor baiting.

And whenever I do say something, it tends to fall flat on other people. This is especially true when I try to engage in humour. Trust me, I'm not humourless by any means; and I guess many don't notice that my posts are often filled with sarcasm.
    If others miss your humor, is it possible you miss theirs?

Taking oneself too seriously often creates a sad immunity to variant forms of humor.

Breathe more.

I'm sorry but talking about more personal issues out in the open is very uncomfortable for me. Heck creating this thread and even typing this post is nerve wracking. So Im not intentionally hiding myself, but I literally become tongue-tied when I try talk about myself out in the open.

That's really all I can say for now. Again, thanks for the responses.
    Why do you apologize? What wrongs have you committed?

You're clearly intelligent, Peguy.
    Don't allow vanity to distort wit.

You're smarter than that.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Listen to Night.

Even if we can't type him, we all know he's all smart and shit.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFP

Peguy - I don't know if you'll see this, but I wanted to respond. I'm an extremely intellectual guy and I've had a hard time connecting with you in the past. I've felt as if you're very guarded about presenting yourself and I only get these tiny glimpses. Getting to know you can take a lot of effort.

You present something in a way that makes sense to you, but doesn't make sense to others because you give so little personal context. How can others care about something when you don't clearly express why you care about it? When communication fails, its best to first consider how you can improve your own communication skills.

When I first participated in forums, I was very frustrated. I had to learn to adapt myself to the social environment which is different for each forum. One adaptation I've had to make is to be much more direct about my humor. Many intellectual people have dry humor and it rarely works when communicating in pure text. You have to exaggerate a bit more for affect in order to communicate. Don't be subtle, be blatantly obvious. Explain your motivations and your feelings, don't expect others to simply understand. Heck, use smilies.

On the other hand, I don't like adapting myself too much. I'd rather find a group that I fit in with. Some groups work better for me, but I'm never entirely satisfied. Internet communication is so constrained. Partly, you just have to accept that discussing through text takes more effort.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Listen to Night.

Even if we can't type him, we all know he's all smart and shit.
    Cornbread; ain't nothin' wrong with that.
    I N V I C T U S