User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: NF Arrogance

MBTI
    INTP

Default NF Arrogance

Hello NFs! Some of you may be familiar with the youtube channel, NFGeeks. In one video, Mike, the host of the channel, made the interesting observation that NTs are arrogant but in "the right way", while NFs are arrogant but in "the wrong way". By this he meant that NTs know that they are better at NT-type thinking and aren't shy to say it; at the same time, however, they also know they are bad at feelings and readily admit that. In contrast to this, NFs like to believe they are not only good at feelings but also just as good at NT-type thinking as NTs are, and become upset when challenged on this belief; funnily, he also quipped that after NFs take umbrage, they fall into a round of questioning and self-loathing, wondering if they were too insensitive to their critics! So NFs think they're good at what they're not naturally good at, while questioning the thing they are actually good at, and hence, "errant NF arrogance".

My first question is what do you think of this idea of NF arrogance?

A SF I talked to opined that in some NFs--like ENFPs and INFJs--this arrogance is the result of tertiary thinking functions acting up. She thinks all types can exaggerate the capabilities of their tert functions, and in these NFs this effect may be producing the exaggerated sense of thinking abilities that presents as this arrogant attitude.

What do you think of this idea?

I also think it's possible NFs, and feelers in general, react to the negative stigma attached to feeling and emotions by inflating their perceived thinking abilities to compensate.

Edit: here's the video

NT Love! (Valentine's Day Special) - YouTube
    Last edited by doppelganger; 10-05-2014 at 09:18 AM.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I think it's a dumb idea, and you're a misogynist.
    Likes pmj85 liked this post

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    Wait, what part was misogynistic?
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery
    Likes Noll, doppelganger liked this post

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    Wait, what part was misogynistic?
    Most INFP's are women, and since most INTP's are wildly insecure about women and their own intellects, this is just a hit-piece on the that specific group, couched in the 'fair and balanced' manner of the cardigan wearing NT 'father class'. NT's always try to sell themselves as sensible, even when they are being irrational and petty. Ever notice that? I have noticed it, even though I 'can't think'. Can some rationalist tell me what to do? I can only feel...
    Likes chickpea, OrangeAppled liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Any type can be arrogant, but if we're gonna play this game. IME on this forum the most arrogant types* tend to be INTJs followed by ENTPs followed by INFPs e 4s

*based on self typing.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP

It's not my idea; it came from an ENFP who not only admitted he does that but thinks other NFs do as well. And he's the host of a youtube channel for NFs, and a licensed MBTI practitioner, and a PhD in social science. So he has some cred.

MBTI
    ENTP

Most INFP's are women, and since most INTP's are wildly insecure about women and their own intellects, this is just a hit-piece on the that specific group, couched in the 'fair and balanced' manner of the cardigan wearing NT 'father class'. NT's always try to sell themselves as sensible, even when they are being irrational and petty. Ever notice that? I have noticed it, even though I 'can't think'. Can some rationalist tell me what to do? I can only feel...
    Much like the "I can't feel, I can only think..."

I didn't see it as misogynistic, but I can see how it could appear that way. I thought it was more arrogant in itself and telling in that way. An arrogant calling out of perceived arrogance.

There is a logic in emotion that I have to admit, NFs can be so good at that I have to pay attention if I want to learn more. This, however, seemed like it was saying they fall apart in the end because NF.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ

Cerebral Artery
    Likes Grand Admiral Crunch liked this post

MBTI
    INTP

I don't get it--what exactly do you have against cardigans?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
    It's not my idea; it came from an ENFP who not only admitted he does that but thinks other NFs do as well. And he's the host of a youtube channel for NFs, and a licensed MBTI practitioner, and a PhD in social science. So he has some cred.
    That scared me more than anything. "I showed up for class for x amount of years, took an online course, and mastered the art of video recording, and therefore am expert at you."

Gives me the heebie-jeebies.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ

Cerebral Artery
    Likes atlascatcher, faith liked this post

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    That scared me more than anything. "I showed up for class for x amount of years, took an online course, and mastered the art of video recording, and therefore am expert at you."

Gives me the heebie-jeebies.
    I only mention his cred cuz someone claimed the idea originated with a NT--it didn't. The idea itself, however, should be evaluated on its own merits and not on the basis of that ENFP or this INTP. To do so would be nothing less than an ad hominem attack, an argument in bad faith.

So if you want to address the points, please do. Otherwise, pls refrain from further comments of this sort cuz they miss the point and derail the thread.

thank you