• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Would you do something that grossly contradicts your moral compass?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Would you rather do something that grossly violated your personal values, or act in a way that was unpopular? Would you be willing to exile yourself in the name of what you believe in? Why, or why not? How far would you go in the name of Integrity? In the name of Justice? Of Love?
I watched a documentary on the Little Rock 9. People who supported the poor black children who went to the school were mocked and became social pariahs because they lived in a racist society. This caused some of these people to rescind their support in a process known as adaptive racism (Mooney). Would you beat and belittle your fellow man if it meant you were going to be beaten and belittled?

I personally do not claim to be a moral person, as I do not live up to my individually defined moral standards of bottomless and all-inclusive love, kindness, compassion, and generosity to all living things. I am no where near as omnibenevolent and forgiving as I should be. That said, I measure myself and others by how much they help their fellow man relative to how much they can help their fellow man. Though I like to think I would rather be true to myself than bow to group expectations, I could not be certain without going through it. It seems like Fe and Fi are key here.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Would you rather do something that grossly violated your personal values, or act in a way that was unpopular? Would you be willing to exile yourself in the name of what you believe in? Why, or why not? How far would you go in the name of Integrity? In the name of Justice? Of Love?
I watched a documentary on the Little Rock 9. People who supported the poor black children who went to the school were mocked and became social pariahs because they lived in a racist society. This caused some of these people to rescind their support in a process known as adaptive racism (Mooney). Would you beat and belittle your fellow man if it meant you were going to be beaten and belittled?

I personally do not claim to be a moral person, as I do not live up to my individually defined moral standards of bottomless and all-inclusive love, kindness, compassion, and generosity to all living things. I am no where near as omnibenevolent and forgiving as I should be. That said, I measure myself and others by how much they help their fellow man relative to how much they can help their fellow man. Though I like to think I would rather be true to myself than bow to group expectations, I could not be certain without going through it. It seems like Fe and Fi are key here.

First off, that was in 1957. Second, I would have more than expected this type of behavior in the deep south at that time. I probably would have moved out of the south and gotten in with the ACLU or NAACP or some organization if I really wanted to make a difference and not subject myself or my family to that violence and backwards ideology.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
short answer: NO

long answer: nobody can live up to their ideals, and i've done things i didn't feel good about before. but as a general rule, if i'm up against something and i don't feel right about it, i don't do it. i've lost whole groups of friends over this. just not feeling right about things and needing to change my path. when i haven't listened to that feeling, i've always regretted it. and whenever i have, life's been better for it. maybe a little rocky at first, but always worth it.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

long answer: nobody can live up to their ideals, and i've done things i didn't feel good about before. but as a general rule, if i'm up against something and i don't feel right about it, i don't do it. i've lost whole groups of friends over this. just not feeling right about things and needing to change my path. when i haven't listened to that feeling, i've always regretted it. and whenever i have, life's been better for it. maybe a little rocky at first, but always worth it.
That is a beautiful answer.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Being unpopular is the ice cream on the crêpe. Or however that goes.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
There's an invigoration in doing something you know is truly right, even and especially when people think you're wrong.

If my life is at stake? I'd probably live in regret vs dying. My whole goal in life is pretty much to not die as long as possible. But a school bus full of kids vs me? Yeah, okay, I gotta pick me... but they'd better turn out to be some outstanding citizens. I'd be okay with knowing I saved the future first female president.

Outside of that? I find there's a lot that can be done--but people choose not to do.. or see. I was very much so like that.. I had my moments of pride (I'm very proud I got the bravery to tell two of my friends a girl was simultaneously cheating on both of them with each other.. I'm glad I stood up to a couple men I was too stupid to see were trying to just get in my pants..etc.) and I can't say I avoided conflict.. But I have had moments that haunted me for long periods of time because I was too quiet about them. I didn't speak up, and I know damn well I should have. It shamed me greatly.. and the fear of experiencing that shame is alone enough to make me intervene. Even when I look stupid (like thinking a drunk girl screaming in glee about a fight breaking out over her was an attempted assault and running into the middle of the fight... barefoot.. and dragging a friend in at that..) I'd rather look stupid than feel stupid.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"grossly contradicts"? I probably have a few times.

I recently stayed in the Friendzone for almost 3 months.

I'm a man of principles and follow them pretty strictly, and this was a HUGE violation of them. Something I've NEVER done before, or will again.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I have a lot of integrity. I'm not too likely to actively stop what I see as injustice, but I won't do something that contradicts my instincts. Though, a lot of situations are a balancing act, so it's hard to say what I will or won't do in a particular scenario.

á´…eparted

passages
The only thing that will get me to is ye olde statement "if the ends justify the means". Even then that is often not enough. I take it case by case. Generally though, my moral code is an marble oblisk. It isn't going anywhere.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

This, it's great and true. :D

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I definitely have a moral compass but it wavers. Well, I suppose in some ways, it's still a development in progress. It makes me squirmish to talk about specifics of it when people put me on the spot and try to pry things out of me. Sometimes with anxiety, being a people pleaser, and being pulled in every which direction, I may contradict it. I surprise myself that I will do when I'm desperate. Or some of the thoughts that pop into my head when someone gets on my bad side.

Not thoughts I would act on but they go against my beliefs and moral code in many cases. Also, curiosity may lead me in those directions. I want to think I would never do anything heinous or evil but I've done things on smaller scales that I'm not proud of. I want to stay true to myself but I admit I'm easily pressured when people are breathing down my neck and talking at me.