User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default NFs and Intelligence

Well, I guess after reading a few posts around here, I was kind of annoyed by some stereotypes. I hate how I can easily be categorized by my NF-ness sometimes, and people only think about how "emotionally" based I am. Sometimes I feel like people forget that NFs (or any other type, really) can be just as intelligent as, say, an NT.

In fact, I make better grades than most NTs I know. While I know that grades aren't accurate measurements of intelligence, I think it does count for something. Slacking off in a college class isn't necessarily "smart", right?

I think I have the element of surprise when it comes to debates or arguments. Normally I am a very agreeable person. However, when someone questions my intelligence I get very aggressive, and people often don't expect it.

How about any other NFs out there? Have you ever felt like people underestimated your overall intelligence? (It makes me think of Elle Woods, and how people assumed so much about her because she was blonde.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

I actually just had this conversation with an enfp friend today who felt like she was being judged by her new peers because of her seemingly bounce around attitude. Some older guys at work the other day were joking around with each other saying things like "you guys know jake's actually really smart? I was surprised...."

Yeah it hurts a little bit.

MBTI
    NeXx
    Socionics
    IeE

ENFPs got misunderstood a lot of times (I think because we look like ESPFs who are so carefree, on the go).... I don't know bout others....
    "Adversity makes men, and prosperity makes monsters"

MBTI
    INFP

I've noticed that people will step on your toes with less hesitation, and sometimes relate to you with an unwelcome familiarity, probably due to the warm and accommodating nature that many NFs exude (which I've shed for the most part IRL). NF is not code for invade my space and talk down to me.

MBTI
    ISFJ

People definitely have a problem coming to terms with the fact another person (that would be me) can be silly and extremely down-to-earth one second, and talk about hardcore philosophical/political/whatever stuff the next.

MBTI
    INFJ

I think I am pretty intelligent; I certainly do a lot of thinking and (over)analyzing. In high school I used to take a lot of hard classes but I had mediocre grades. I think most people see me as really really smart but I self-consciously wonder if they just assume this because I am introverted, as though I must be a shy bookworm with straight A's and no social life. Of course, this could just be INFJ paranoia. Maybe my true genius is really that evident . I have felt condescension in this way, but I guess it's sort of the opposite of your experience, wedekit. Nobody in my RL knows about these personality types so they don't judge me on it.

MBTI
    ENFP

People that don't know me too well, think I am a dipshit in terms of school. This is probably due to my overly chearfull nature and fucking around a little too much. People that know me, respect me and can see past the screwing around. Most people are shocked and don't want to take me serious when they find out I am not the retard I protray.

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

I'm not an NF but I get pissed off when people assume they have an idea of my intelligence just by knowing my type.

+100 for making this thread.

And wtf is up w/ people thinking there's a correlation between having a fun, emotionally expressive personality and intelligence? Ugh.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    I'm not an NF but I get pissed off when people assume they have an idea of my intelligence just by knowing my type.

+100 for making this thread.

And wtf is up w/ people thinking there's a correlation between having a fun, emotionally expressive personality and intelligence? Ugh.

Because everyone knows that only smart people are ever serious.

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by IEE623 View Post
    ENFPs got misunderstood a lot of times (I think because we look like ESPFs who are so carefree, on the go).... I don't know bout others....
    All three of the ENFPs that I know are very intelligent.