• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NFs and Intelligence

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Well, I guess after reading a few posts around here, I was kind of annoyed by some stereotypes. I hate how I can easily be categorized by my NF-ness sometimes, and people only think about how "emotionally" based I am. Sometimes I feel like people forget that NFs (or any other type, really) can be just as intelligent as, say, an NT.

In fact, I make better grades than most NTs I know. While I know that grades aren't accurate measurements of intelligence, I think it does count for something. Slacking off in a college class isn't necessarily "smart", right?

I think I have the element of surprise when it comes to debates or arguments. Normally I am a very agreeable person. However, when someone questions my intelligence I get very aggressive, and people often don't expect it.

How about any other NFs out there? Have you ever felt like people underestimated your overall intelligence? (It makes me think of Elle Woods, and how people assumed so much about her because she was blonde.)

findthejake

MBTI Type
ENFP
I actually just had this conversation with an enfp friend today who felt like she was being judged by her new peers because of her seemingly bounce around attitude. Some older guys at work the other day were joking around with each other saying things like "you guys know jake's actually really smart? I was surprised...."

Yeah it hurts a little bit.

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx
ENFPs got misunderstood a lot of times (I think because we look like ESPFs who are so carefree, on the go).... I don't know bout others....

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I've noticed that people will step on your toes with less hesitation, and sometimes relate to you with an unwelcome familiarity, probably due to the warm and accommodating nature that many NFs exude (which I've shed for the most part IRL). NF is not code for invade my space and talk down to me.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
People definitely have a problem coming to terms with the fact another person (that would be me) can be silly and extremely down-to-earth one second, and talk about hardcore philosophical/political/whatever stuff the next.

concretereverie

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think I am pretty intelligent; I certainly do a lot of thinking and (over)analyzing. In high school I used to take a lot of hard classes but I had mediocre grades. I think most people see me as really really smart but I self-consciously wonder if they just assume this because I am introverted, as though I must be a shy bookworm with straight A's and no social life. Of course, this could just be INFJ paranoia. Maybe my true genius is really that evident :D. I have felt condescension in this way, but I guess it's sort of the opposite of your experience, wedekit. Nobody in my RL knows about these personality types so they don't judge me on it.

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
People that don't know me too well, think I am a dipshit in terms of school. This is probably due to my overly chearfull nature and fucking around a little too much. People that know me, respect me and can see past the screwing around. Most people are shocked and don't want to take me serious when they find out I am not the retard I protray.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not an NF but I get pissed off when people assume they have an idea of my intelligence just by knowing my type.

+100 for making this thread.

And wtf is up w/ people thinking there's a correlation between having a fun, emotionally expressive personality and intelligence? Ugh.

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'm not an NF but I get pissed off when people assume they have an idea of my intelligence just by knowing my type.

+100 for making this thread.

And wtf is up w/ people thinking there's a correlation between having a fun, emotionally expressive personality and intelligence? Ugh.

Because everyone knows that only smart people are ever serious.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFPs got misunderstood a lot of times (I think because we look like ESPFs who are so carefree, on the go).... I don't know bout others....

All three of the ENFPs that I know are very intelligent.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Negative stereotypes based on your MBTI type suck. Apparently I'm not allowed to show emotions, but I guess it's not too bad cause at least people think I'm smart :D

For what it’s worth this NT doesn't consider herself any smarter than average, just more rational.

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
Negative stereotypes based on your MBTI type suck. Apparently I'm not allowed to show emotions, but I guess it's not too bad cause at least people think I'm smart :D

For what it’s worth this NT doesn't consider herself any smarter than average, just more rational.

Wait just one darn second... INTJ's have emotions? Oh my god, I think the world is starting to spin around me... FAINTS.

/Sarcasm, then again some INTJ's will deny they have any, most of those people are probably not INTJ but actually just Autistic or suffer Aspergers syndrome or I am just being totally offensive and rude.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Wait just one darn second... INTJ's have emotions? Oh my god, I think the world is starting to spin around me... FAINTS.

/Sarcasm, then again some INTJ's will deny they have any, most of those people are probably not INTJ but actually just Autistic or suffer Aspergers syndrome or I am just being totally offensive and rude.

:laugh:

Hmm, not too sure. Aspersers is definitely a possibility, I don't think it's rude but I don't understand callous people who say they have no emotions so *shrug*

I'd suggest calling NTs unemotional is the same as calling NFs overemotional. Untrue but perpetuated by some.

MrRandom

MBTI Type
INFJ
I consider myself very intelligent. I've also taken an official (monitored) IQ-test and it placed me in the top 1% of population and granted access to a high-IQ society. Please, don't consider me a bragger, it is by no means my intention. I'm sure there are more of you. If this forum wasn't essentially anonymous, I wouldn't dare say that aloud. Even most of my friends don't know about it.

I merely want to state that F, in my opinion, has barely anything to do with intelligence. F means we make decicions based on "values". Logic remains intact. The NFs I know are all above-average when it comes to intelligence.

I consider intelligence, in its most simple form, to be the ability to notice patterns. The patterns themselves can be anything from logical patterns to musical patterns to human behavior patterns, etc. Due to this all learning comes more naturally to an intelligent person. But hey, it's just how I view it.

I have this ideal that if a person is intelligent, he/she acts intelligently, and therefore can be perceived as an intelligent person. But we all goof around... so making judgements based on a very short slice of time can give very distorted results. So, most people don't consider me that intelligent, but those who know me for a long time do think I'm intelligent.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I consider myself very intelligent. I've also taken an official (monitored) IQ-test and it placed me in the top 1% of population and granted access to a high-IQ society. Please, don't consider me a bragger, it is by no means my intention. I'm sure there are more of you. If this forum wasn't essentially anonymous, I wouldn't dare say that aloud. Even most of my friends don't know about it.

I merely want to state that F, in my opinion, has barely anything to do with intelligence. F means we make decicions based on "values". Logic remains intact. The NFs I know are all above-average when it comes to intelligence.

I consider intelligence, in its most simple form, to be the ability to notice patterns. The patterns themselves can be anything from logical patterns to musical patterns to human behavior patterns, etc. Due to this all learning comes more naturally to an intelligent person. But hey, it's just how I view it.

I have this ideal that if a person is intelligent, he/she acts intelligently, and therefore can be perceived as an intelligent person. But we all goof around... so making judgements based on a very short slice of time can give very distorted results. So, most people don't consider me that intelligent, but those who know me for a long time do think I'm intelligent.

WONDERFUL post. And hi! :hi: I'm in the same boat with you. I don't like to IQ-drop either because it just reeks of smarm. Most seem to regard me as maternal here moreso than intelligent. This is fine with me. It's always good for intelligent people to be known for more than simply having grey matter to work with.

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
I've heard about a study that said that INFJs and INFPs had the highest average IQ just after INTJs and INTPs.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Even though I'm only a sophomore, I seem to maintain better grades then most people in my class, and I the great majority of my class is anything but NF's..but like you said too, grades aren't accurate measures of intelligence.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Is a fun loving person less intelligent than the person who never laughs? I read that sense of humor is better on smart people (they see the connection better, so they "get" the jokes better)

Oh, and I'd like to add that the value based motivation is one of the key elements of good grades, so the F is not messing up the logic, it is motivating it.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
It is my belief that the people who do not think I'm intelligent are the people who do not know me yet.

I think I often come across as "flighty" and "ditsy." But you know, I kind of like surprising people with my depth and discernment! It's like giving them a pass into my world of insightful intellectualism, which would otherwise remain under wraps!