• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NFs and Intelligence

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
LL, I honestly couldn't help it. As soon as I got out of school it was like being released from prison.

I also couldn't pay attention enough to remember assignments, bring the right books home to do homework or whatever else was needed.

My grades solely rested on classwork, tests and the quartlerly/yearly exams.

Awww man, I understand. I used to be totally like that. Actually, I still am totally like that. I honestly do not know how I made it either. But it would be so cool to be that smart. Just a shame to see someone who is bright squander their abilities....But perhaps you do not see it that way. As long as you are happy, that is the main point. :)

SillyGoose

MBTI Type
EXXP
Hey LL, maybe this isn't a popular opinion (it certainly is not within my parents home) but I really don't think grades or going to college have really anything to do with how smart you are.

I tend to think the gals and guys who make it without all that are amongst the brightest.

In the Forbes top ten one year none of the self made professionals had graduated college or even had decent grades, except for the wal mart heirs. I thought that was funny.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey LL, maybe this isn't a popular opinion (it certainly is not within my parents home) but I really don't think grades or going to college have really anything to do with how smart you are.

I tend to think the gals and guys who make it without all that are amongst the brightest.

In the Forbes top ten one year none of the self made professionals had graduated college or even had decent grades, except for the wal mart heirs. I thought that was funny.

Sure, that is true. No doubt about it. I mean people who whine and complain about being so smart and capable but never accomplish anything. That could mean good grades; that could mean starting a successful business. But people who whine and moan and then say they are smart - nah. That totally baffles me.

Of course, maybe you do not need good grades to be successful. I knew I needed them because I did not have sufficient capital to start my own business or perfect connections to land great jobs. I knew my only chance to achieve my dreams was to prove I was capable. Although my dreams were fairly humble, I have achieved almost all of them, even those that have nothing to do with grades.

Sure, success does not depend upon getting all 1s or As. I definitely did not. But sometimes it sure does help. I would have loved to have gotten a full scholarship, for example. If I had focused better, it might have been possible. But I also did not pay attention as well as I should have.

SillyGoose

MBTI Type
EXXP
Sure, that is true. No doubt about it. I mean people who whine and complain about being so smart and capable but never accomplish anything. That could mean good grades; that could mean starting a successful business. But people who whine and moan and then say they are smart - nah. That totally baffles me.

Of course, maybe you do not need good grades to be successful. I knew I needed them because I did not have sufficient capital to start my own business or perfect connections to land great jobs. I knew my only chance to achieve my dreams was to prove I was capable. Although my dreams were fairly humble, I have achieved almost all of them, even those that have nothing to do with grades.

Sure, success does not depend upon getting all 1s or As. I definitely did not. But sometimes it sure does help. I would have loved to have gotten a full scholarship, for example. If I had focused better, it might have been possible. But I also did not pay attention as well as I should have.

I get what you are saying.

I think I'm pretty successful, although I haven't fulfilled all of my goals. Which are probably pretty lofty.

For me, after I graduated high school I felt the world open up to me. I feel like I can do whatever I want to do and I pursue it with a passion.

So, I can understand looking at the very intelligent but going no where and wondering as you do. I have an uncle who can answer every question (or give the question, LOL) in Jeopardy but couldn't hold a job in a deli...LOL.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I did that. But my excuses were valid in my own special way.

I absolutely could not pay attention in class. NOT.AT.ALL. It felt like some kind of medieval torture sitting through these lectures, teachers talking, taking way too long to go over something. Ay yay yay.

Bribes, threats, punishments from my parents wouldn't even work.

It was torture.

I never went back to school and it is highly likely that I never will.

my friends are always amazed at how little i learn from class! what i mean is. im that guy who literally learns NOTHING from class...i just get distracted and bored/mind wanders.

i learn best in three situations:

1. i have a slave driver (like a cheerleader who makes sure your doing what your doing ...think of that FJ friend haha)
2. i want to impress someone (i swear i go into NTJ mode and i literally can become the terminator)
3. I lock myself in a room with nothing but a desk and a chair + book. (any other medium and i get distracted)

do any other ENFPs have this terminator mode? ....like i usaully screw around in school (not on purpose) and do bad on the first test...procrastinate, learn nothing from lecture...and then i snap and go into terminator mode where i talk to no one and study for 4 hour intervals of extreme focus. i think its because i just cant do "relaxed" studying...my Ne will lead me away if im not locked into the Ni-Si/Te axis....

SillyGoose

MBTI Type
EXXP
my friends are always amazed at how little i learn from class! what i mean is. im that guy who literally learns NOTHING from class...i just get distracted and bored/mind wanders.

i learn best in three situations:

1. i have a slave driver (like a cheerleader who makes sure your doing what your doing ...think of that FJ friend haha)
2. i want to impress someone (i swear i go into NTJ mode and i literally can become the terminator)
3. I lock myself in a room with nothing but a desk and a chair + book. (any other medium and i get distracted)

do any other ENFPs have this terminator mode? ....like i usaully screw around in school (not on purpose) and do bad on the first test...procrastinate, learn nothing from lecture...and then i snap and go into terminator mode where i talk to no one and study for 4 hour intervals of extreme focus. i think its because i just cant do "relaxed" studying...my Ne will lead me away if im not locked into the Ni-Si/Te axis....

LOL, yes. It has to be a dire emergency or whatnot to get me going.

There is nothing 'relaxed' here.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
LOL, yes. It has to be a dire emergency or whatnot to get me going.

There is nothing 'relaxed' here.

I definitely have terminator mode, but it only kicks in if I put things off to the utterly last second, and then my rational, focused mind kicks in. I guess I turn into INTJ or something...but it is exhausting. ;)

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I definitely have terminator mode, but it only kicks in if I put things off to the utterly last second, and then my rational, focused mind kicks in. I guess I turn into INTJ or something...but it is exhausting. ;)

well most people oppositional is stronger than their auxilary, tertiary (its just not a conscious preference). to me it seems logical the secondary self of ENFP would be the oppositional and the tertiary or Ni/Te.

absoluteuncertainty

MBTI Type
ENFP
do any other ENFPs have this terminator mode? ....

Absolutely. I never realy understood it, but occasionally I get what feels like waves.... waves to (when I was in school) study, waves to clean, waves to get my bills paid, waves to do everything that my little ENFP mind hates and abhors doing.

It's not something that I completely control either, I just know that when I feel a 'wave' coming along, it's best to ACT :D If I don't act immediately, I get (ni?) distracted and lose the wave.

Or maybe I'm the only one like this :headphne:

Regarding the OP, I just mimic whatever I feel the situation warrants. When I associate professionally with doctors, my vernacular is quite divergent than the shit talking thas' goin down with my cats round town. Intelligence has nothing to do with it at all. :headphne: I don't have to be smart to sound like I am; furthermore, I don't have to be 'dumb' to communicate in very human and blunt language.

edit: holla at ya for that EQ statement made before

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
How about any other NFs out there? Have you ever felt like people underestimated your overall intelligence? (It makes me think of Elle Woods, and how people assumed so much about her because she was blonde.)

Marilyn Monroe is a classic example of pop culture overriding legitimate wit. Exceptional thinker.
Stupidly valued for her bosoms --

"Wanting to be someone else, is a waste of the person you are...

I think that when you are famous every weakness is exaggerated. (...) Goethe said, "Talent is developed in privacy," you know? And it's really true. (...) Creativity has got to start with humanity and when you're a human being, you feel, you suffer. You're gay, you're sick, you're nervous. You are a creative expression of your own humanity.
"

Intelligence is presently a term of obfuscation; IQ a form of insecurity - it's what stupid people speak to when they require recognition without achievement.

Status quorums are designed to protect power - rarely to uplift unique creativity.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Marilyn Monroe is a classic example of pop culture overriding legitimate wit. Exceptional thinker.
Stupidly valued for her bosoms.

Wanting to be someone else, is a waste of the person you are...

I think that when you are famous every weakness is exaggerated. (...) Goethe said, "Talent is developed in privacy," you know? And it's really true. (...) Creativity has got to start with humanity and when you're a human being, you feel, you suffer. You're gay, you're sick, you're nervous. You are a creative expression of your own humanity.

Intelligence is presently a term of obfuscation; IQ a form of insecurity - it's what many people speak to when they require recognition without achievement.

Status quorums designed to protect power - rarely to uplift legitimate talent.

*marvels at Night*

Do you just wake up this profound or do you build up to it?? You freakin' used "obfuscation" correctly in a sentence! If you apply "eschew" or "grandiloquence", I'm building a shrine. lol

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
People have always assumed i'm dumb, not only because i'm nice and sweet, and will do anything for anyone who asks, but i have a large chest.

People usually correlate large breasts with stupidity. A lot of guys have been very surprised when they learn that i am actually far more intelligent than they are.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Thank you, PP.

I'm not much to marvel at. You are very forgiving.

People usually correlate large breasts with stupidity. A lot of guys have been very surprised when they learn that i am actually far more intelligent than they are.

Stupid people make stupid correlations.

Someone much more insightful than me once said, "Never met a wise man - if so, it's a woman."

More often than not, I think women tend to be infinitely wiser than most men - certainly in terms of withholding judgment on the basis of appearance.

Take heart, scantily. You are beyond most.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A female friend of mine has a very large bustline, and she wears this shirt that says "My eyes are up HERE". lol

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
My point of view is often underestimated. I guess it doesn't help when I don't fight my views when they get looked over, at least thats what I used to do. There are just some people that are expected to be smart and I am not one of them. For instance I have an ISTP and ENFJ friend who I used to play games with a lot. The ENFJ was often giving his opinion about something and read the rules before games or at least he skimmed over them. He is really good with computers as well. There was a time when me and him were disputing over a rule and the ISTP automatically backed him up because it was just easy to assume he knew what he was talking about and I didn't. Funny thing was that it turned out I was right but the effort I had to put in to prove myself to these two was rediculous.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't think it is wholly dependant on temperament because it seems like ENFJs NTs and SJs, from my experience, seem to be deemed as "compotent" at least compared to me. I think what people don't get about me is I don't open my mouth or make a statement unless I am sure about something. It still sucks that I have to constantly prove myself compared to these people, I guess some things will never change though.

I've noticed that people will step on your toes with less hesitation, and sometimes relate to you with an unwelcome familiarity, probably due to the warm and accommodating nature that many NFs exude (which I've shed for the most part IRL). NF is not code for invade my space and talk down to me.

-Totally- agree. I wonder why this is? I know I get treated differently from other people, of course when i confront people about it I never really get a good answer...and sometimes I just live with it but acting this way with me especially when I haven't known a person for an extended period of time is definitely the most annoying part of human interaction :)

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
A female friend of mine has a very large bustline, and she wears this shirt that says "My eyes are up HERE". lol

hehe my mommy bought me a shirt like that once.

absoluteuncertainty

MBTI Type
ENFP
Intelligence is presently a term of obfuscation; IQ a form of insecurity - it's what stupid people speak to when they require recognition without achievement.

Or it's what high EQ people speak to when they're trying to manipulate someone.

>.>