User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    It's not that I think I'm UNintelligent, it's just that I don't really base my self image or esteem on my intelligence level. I don't think about it much one way or the other.

Could it be that many NFs have this approach to their own intelligence, and could this be partly causing the stereotype?
    I'm with you on this one. I'd rather be called "nice" than "intelligent"... I respect the "wise", though, but that's a different case.

Sniffles

I tend to respect wisdom over intelligence.

As for me, I'm constantly beating myself up for supposedly not being intelligent enough. I remember thinking myself stupid at age 12 because I couldn't grasp much of the tactical formulas outlined in On War by Karl von Clausewitz. Or at 17 because I didn't understand much of the postmodern theory on the nature of hyper-reality.

Looking back, I just can't help but laugh at the absurdity. :blushing:

MBTI
    ENFP

i'm the opposite. sometimes i find being an enfp inconvenient cause i'd rather be more intelligent than nice.

actually, when i compared my actual self with my ideal self, it turned out my ideal me was intj. hahaha, ironic and yet so fitting cause i love intj's. wish there were more intj girls in the world...

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by sketcheasy View Post
    wish there were more intj girls in the world...
    Been there, done that.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I guess this goes back to the INTJ hate thread, where it was mentioned that INTJs tend to focus on facts while INFJs tend to focus on principles. I can see how that is, and would explain why I find INTJ arguments relatively "shallow" at times.
    Could you elaborate on this a little more, please? I haven't heard this before and it interests me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

I kind of relate to what Peguy said.

I suspect the following regarding intelligence :
    Intelligence for an INFJ = Reason + Heart
    Intelligence for an INTJ = Reason

I suspect INTJs don't take in account matters of the heart when it comes to defining intelligence. Perhaps they just distrust it for decisionmaking. having said that, I don't mean they're necessarily heart-less.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Been there, done that.
    you're an infj. you're one letter away but miles apart....

intj's usually amuse enfp's. i'm telling you, it's the dry, crass, and sarcastic humor that just kills me.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I kind of relate to what Peguy said.

I suspect the following regarding intelligence :
    Intelligence for an INFJ = Reason + Heart
    Intelligence for an INTJ = Reason

I suspect INTJs don't take in account matters of the heart when it comes to defining intelligence. Perhaps they just distrust it for decisionmaking. having said that, I don't mean they're necessarily heart-less.
    Not so, I consider EQ more important in terms of intelligence than IQ

MBTI
    enfp

im pretty good at math.

i was ranked 2nd in mental arithmetic for my grade in Los Angeles County when I was a kid. Yeah, it was a county wide contest that included all schools in LA county. Mind you, LA county is the most populated county in the US, with 10 million people. umm... yeah i just bragged about myself like... wayyyyyyyyyyy too much. lol

when i think of numbers, i see relationships between them, and how to bend them into something u didn't see before.

I think pattern recognition is something that is not logical or emotional. But in a way, i do "feel" out a problem and solve it instinctively in general. of course, sometimes my instinct tells me i have to approach it methodologically.

I think the best analogy is like say golf or hitting a baseball.

Some people calculate everything in their minds, and fix their swings almost programmatically. Some people just kind of do it without thinking, and let instinct and gliding feelings take over. Kind of exaggerrating, but i kind of see it that way...

but yeah, either way, its the results that matter right? i mean, a golf score doesn't depend on type for sure.

like my best friend, he is calculating. if he doesn't play golf for a while, he forgets his golf swing easily, but with practice practice practice, it improves dramatically back to his old form. my golf swing, i don't play for a long time, but when i do, the swing comes back immediately. but my swing doesn't get better with practice. unless i practice more than my friend does. overall though, we're the same level.

i dunno if that makes sense. lol

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    People definitely have a problem coming to terms with the fact another person (that would be me) can be silly and extremely down-to-earth one second, and talk about hardcore philosophical/political/whatever stuff the next.
    EXACTLY!

By the way, Wedekind, I agree with you 100%. I hate these so-called rationals that goof off in school. I mean: Is that RATIONAL to goof off when you are really smart, not make good grades, and not be able to get into the best schools? Uh, no. Sorry. No go, Jack. That's just plain stupid. And then they always have these so-called EXCUSES like "PFft, I do not need to show off how smart I am. Pffft, society just shits on people who are smart. Pfft, people hate intelligent people. Pfft, I was intelligent but my teacher hated me. Pffft, this person was not worth it. Pffft no one cares about grades anyway." Pfft this and pffft that. Well Pfffffffffffffffft, stop trying to pass gas with your mouth.

Of course, that is not to say that someone should stick his/her head in a BOOK all day, either. That is just as irrational as getting drunk with your friends all the time. A truly rational person, I think, would see the value of knowledge, the value of showing that knowledge, the value of friends, and the value of spending time with those friends in a way that lifts you up, and does not tear you down.

That is just my opinion, though.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.