User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

How many times have we gone over this...

I always thought T and F were just how you approach the world.

T = Objective approach (same screwdriver should fit all screws).
    F = Subjective approach (Maybe this little special screw driver is too delicate to use my leatherman on it. Let us try an eyeglass screw driver. Turns out that the screw gets offended because in reality, its a tough SOB and doesn't want anyone treating it like a baby, who would have known that screws can be NT).

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Ayrab View Post
    Wait just one darn second... INTJ's have emotions? Oh my god, I think the world is starting to spin around me... FAINTS.

/Sarcasm, then again some INTJ's will deny they have any, most of those people are probably not INTJ but actually just Autistic or suffer Aspergers syndrome or I am just being totally offensive and rude.
    Some INTJ's have very strong emotions. They just keep it inside similiar to the INFJ. Difference, IMHO, is that INTJ's don't need to keep relationships going but if they find someone worthwhile who "unlocks" them, they have an out to pour whatever is on their mind. The problem with a lot of INTJ's is that person now has access to a vulnerability and that can make INTJ's very uncomfortable, so they back track.

Now I don't think this applies to all (healthy) INTJ's, but IMO if they have a strong N and low T, this is more common.

Sniffles

For the most part, people usually don't underestimate my intelligence. A few NT pricks have said a few things here or there, but those are rare and usually in intense discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    Slacking off in a college class isn't necessarily "smart", right?
    I don't know, plenty of intelligent people have done so. Tolstoy for example.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Ayrab View Post
    How many times have we gone over this...

I always thought T and F were just how you approach the world.

T = Objective approach (same screwdriver should fit all screws).
    F = Subjective approach (Maybe this little special screw driver is too delicate to use my leatherman on it. Let us try an eyeglass screw driver. Turns out that the screw gets offended because in reality, its a tough SOB and doesn't want anyone treating it like a baby, who would have known that screws can be NT).
    no no no no.

MBTI
    INTJ

NF's just seem to approach things differently, but are usually very intelligent. However, this can be masked in a society that bases most of their measures of intelligence on the sensor scale.

I find NF conversations to be entirely insightful and give me a new perspective on things; I'm sure NT's at times do the same to NF's views. Remember, opposite sides of the same coin, and without looking at the other side, you are only seeing half the picture. I don't like missing out on ideas before making a personal opinion/thought. Yes, NF's have made me reverse decisions before after seeing another side of an idea.

Don't ask me what the sensor folks see at times... I just get the comment "he's chasing butterflies again" when I think through ideas at work.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
    I find NF conversations to be entirely insightful and give me a new perspective on things; I'm sure NT's at times do the same to NF's views.
    Sometimes, when they're not busy trying to torpedo our views into water.

I guess this goes back to the INTJ hate thread, where it was mentioned that INTJs tend to focus on facts while INFJs tend to focus on principles. I can see how that is, and would explain why I find INTJ arguments relatively "shallow" at times.

From my perspective: yes facts are perfectly fine, but it's best to understand the issues behind those facts. Only once you understand those principles can you better understand the facts. Im sure with the INTJ it's the opposite(or so Ive been told): principles should be based upon facts, plain and simple. Without understanding the facts, your principles aren't worth shit.

Now if the INFJ and INTJ happen to agree with each other, well you got one killer combo here: they're pretty much backing each other up. If they disagree, then it often becomes an irritatingly long discussion of the two talking past each other.

Whether or not this applies to NFs and NTs in general, I'll let others comment on that.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by IF3157;273I213
    It is sheer folly to assume that an NF lacks the intellectual capacity of an NT person. It is a preference. I am surprised this needed to be said.
    Yes.

But personally, I am often surprised that people view me as being as intelligent as they often seem to. Random people (or even friends) saying, "Helen is smart" or something to that effect always takes me by surprise, a little. It's not that I think I'm UNintelligent, it's just that I don't really base my self image or esteem on my intelligence level. I don't think about it much one way or the other.

Could it be that many NFs have this approach to their own intelligence, and could this be partly causing the stereotype?

But yes, it is silly to think that because someone prefers feeling over thinking, that their ability to think clearly is inferior to someone who leans more to thinking over feeling. It's about preference, not ablility!!
    "There ain't no doubt in no one's mind that love's the finest thing around. Whisper something soft and kind." --James Taylor

MBTI
    ENFP

everyone usually says i'm pretty intelligent, or at the very least insightful. but those damn intj's always gotta shut me down, hahaha. rationality isn't everything.

my friends say i think and ponder more than anyone.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    WONDERFUL post. And hi! I'm in the same boat with you. I don't like to IQ-drop either because it just reeks of smarm. Most seem to regard me as maternal here moreso than intelligent. This is fine with me. It's always good for intelligent people to be known for more than simply having grey matter to work with.
    I'm in the boat too.

In school I was always one of the 'smart ones', so I know people didn't underestimate my intelligence. I didn't really show a lot of emotion externally (kept it all hidden within), so like dissonance I was probably viewed as an NT. Peers would want to copy off of my homework, but I never let them. ;-) And tests were never an issue. I was one of those lame people who'd get A+'s. ;-)

Same goes for the jobs I've had since graduation. People tend to lean on me for stuff, and for answers, and I know my work-related thoughts are valued.

It's probably only on this board that I would be perceived as fluffy or emotional, and somehow not on par with, say, the NT's -- because on this board I choose to really show my inner world, and many of the things I write about and respond to are related to emotions and very subjective/cognitive/psychological stuff like that.

I'm also pretty comfortable on here NOT caring about whether I come across as 'intellectual' or not - so I don't even bother trying to whittle my posts down to key points or non-babbling entities. :-) I just don't care.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    I'm in the boat too.

In school I was always one of the 'smart ones', so I know people didn't underestimate my intelligence. I didn't really show a lot of emotion externally (kept it all hidden within), so like dissonance I was probably viewed as an NT. Peers would want to copy off of my homework, but I never let them. ;-) And tests were never an issue. I was one of those lame people who'd get A+'s. ;-)

Same goes for the jobs I've had since graduation. People tend to lean on me for stuff, and for answers.

It's probably only on this board that I would be perceived as fluffy or emotional, and somehow not on par with, say, the NT's -- because on this board I choose to really show my inner world, and many of the things I write about and respond to are related to emotions and very subjective/cognitive/psychological stuff like that.

I'm also pretty comfortable on here NOT caring about whether I come across as 'intellectual' or not - so I don't even bother trying to whittle my posts down to key points or non-babbling entities. :-) I just don't care.
    I second this cause it sounds just about like what I'd write if I had the energy.
    for my life is slowed up by thought and the need to understand what I am living.