User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    intp

It is sheer folly to assume that an NF lacks the intellectual capacity of an NT person. It is a preference. I am surprised this needed to be said.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

For me it is more like, if you gonna judge me based on intelligence, I'm not interested. Nothing is more boring than people who need to be dead serious because they consider themselves so intellectual that it would be "lowering" them to have fun.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Thank you wedekit for starting this thread. I know the thread you are referring to and I also was irritated after reading it.

My preference, as an NF, is to process in impressions, ideas, feelings, and other ways that are not easily communicable (especially to NTs) - not in numbers, stats, and raw facts. I choose the former because it's more comfortable and I find the latter boring. If you also take into consideration that I'm an INFx who doesn't like conflict and won't say what he thinks until he's sure it's safe to speak his mind, then yea, like Dana said, it's not surprising I get my toes stepped on or to have people assume I'm not thinking about the issue, have nothing to say/contribute. I think another reason I don't wade into discussions, brainstorm sessions, or whatever is because that kind of roundtable communicating drains me and unless the outcome effects directly/personally, I won't give a shite.

Communicating as an NF to NTs isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world either. People always say, 'Geez, where did he get that idea from??' After I explain it to them once or twice more, then they get it.

Perhaps that's why a lot of NFs get written off as being not as intelligent as NTs. But stepping out of our comfort zone and being a little more vocal would probably go a long way.

NFs *do* sometimes let feelings guide their choices and decisions. It looks irrational to another person, even to another NF. In such moments the other person may conclude that the NF is not completely reliable to think always rationally. If this *other person* is an NF though, there is a little more chance for understanding; but if it is an NT, then usually they keep a strong doubt in the future.

I believe NTs are a little superior in one-to-one arguments, just because they are not distracted by willingness to find a win-win outcome, which is the natural desire for an NF. But that doesn't have anything to do with: a) intelligence; b) knowledge; c) abilities.

I've been in numerous situations, when an NT is the more incompetent at the moment, but they don't care. They are self-confident and won't admit a mistake, even when they see that the other was, in fact, right. In this case, the NT just collects the useful information and goes as if nothing happened. An NF more often tends to apologize and openly admit it, when proven wrong.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Intelligence is not type relative. IQ... possibly but I dislike that system anyway.

One friend is an ENFJ with an IQ of over 140 and the other could get into mensa with all possibility. Sure both are prone to missing the objective in the sibjective but that doesn't mean that they can't process information as well. It just leaves room for being an annoying smartass
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    How about any other NFs out there? Have you ever felt like people underestimated your overall intelligence? (It makes me think of Elle Woods, and how people assumed so much about her because she was blonde.)
    Yes, my intelligence has been underestimated many times probably because of the way I behave. I'm friendly and laughing a lot. I also like to do grazy and weird stuff and I don't act seriously or professionally at work all the time.

But I don't really care if people misjudge me. I can prove myself if it is needed. I have surprised some people with the change of my behavior and one INTP even called my thoughts logical.

When I refer to my intelligence, I don't mean that I have superior thinking, it just means that I'm fully capable of independent thinking. I'm also fully capable of making spelling mistakes all the time.

MBTI
    NeXx
    Socionics
    IeE

Quote Originally Posted by alcea rosea View Post
    Yes, my intelligence has been underestimated many times probably because of the way I behave. I'm friendly and laughing a lot. I also like to do grazy and weird stuff and I don't act seriously or professionally at work all the time.

But I don't really care if people misjudge me. I can prove myself if it is needed. I have surprised some people with the change of my behavior and one INTP even called my thoughts logical.

When I refer to my intelligence, I don't mean that I have superior thinking, it just means that I'm fully capable of independent thinking. I'm also fully capable of making spelling mistakes all the time.
    awww... when you hear others speak the same language with you, it feels like home
    "Adversity makes men, and prosperity makes monsters"

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

How about any other NFs out there? Have you ever felt like people underestimated your overall intelligence? (It makes me think of Elle Woods, and how people assumed so much about her because she was blonde.)
    It happens, but I'm used to it because there are elements of such thinking towards women as well. In small towns where I have often lived I learned to hide my intelligence to match people's social expectations. An economically disadvantaged, young woman with a pleasant smile isn't supposed to be more intelligent than the men and the socially dominant in most any given community. To avoid conflict I would just smile and nod. This was something of a disadvantage to me except that I learned to truly not care what other people think. I know what my capabilities are and can demonstrate these when I choose.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I think it's cultural. When I lived in England, no one underestimated my intelligence, especially men.

However, I went to a very conservative university, where the majority of my professors were of the old establishment. Since my university only became coed in latter part of the century, some of my professors were condescending jerks who felt that women could not possibly be as smart as men, and you could also see this as they would favor the men's contributions while attempting to talk down to the women.

Also, if you were the least bit stylish, then no one would take you seriously. You had to dress in college sweatshirts and jeans everyday as that was our established uniform in academia.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Well, I guess after reading a few posts around here, I was kind of annoyed by some stereotypes. I hate how I can easily be categorized by my NF-ness sometimes, and people only think about how "emotionally" based I am. Sometimes I feel like people forget that NFs (or any other type, really) can be just as intelligent as, say, an NT.

In fact, I make better grades than most NTs I know. While I know that grades aren't accurate measurements of intelligence, I think it does count for something. Slacking off in a college class isn't necessarily "smart", right?

I think I have the element of surprise when it comes to debates or arguments. Normally I am a very agreeable person. However, when someone questions my intelligence I get very aggressive, and people often don't expect it.

i've never had this problem as everyone thinks of me as an NT (or the equivalent list of characteristics for someone who doesn't know MBTI). i'm generally viewed as more "rational" than anyone in my extended social circle. (i've been called a robot or calculator or AI system numerous times ) i think almost all of my friends, if they learned MBTI, would type me as some sort of NTP (one friend swears i'm INTP).

hell, my mom is a T (ISTJ), and she acts extremely emotional and irrational all the time. not many people think of her as smart because of this (and my dad's intelligence completely overshadows her anyway), but she is quite intelligent.

people aren't going around typing everyone anyway. they'll see if someone is overly emotional or not, and maybe factor that in. but Ts can be more emotional than Fs.

i guess i'm saying it's not necessarily an NF thing. (and if it was, it probably applies more to NFPs than NFJs, as NFJs will give objective reasons for their value judgments.)