User Tag List

123 Last

Sniffles

Default Doesn't this sound like something only a NF would say?

I brought this up in another thread, but I want to know the opinions of others here; doesn't this sound remarkably NF in character - if you can get over it's author?

"When I go to Obersalzberg, I'm not drawn there merely by the beauty of the landscape. I feel myself far from petty things, and my imagination is stimulated. When I study a problem elsewhere, I see it less clearly; I'm submerged by the details. By night, at the Berghof, I often remain for hours with my eyes open, contemplating from my bed the mountains lit up by the Moon. It's at such moments that brightness enters my mind."
    --Adolf Hitler, cited in Warlords: An Extraordinary Re-Creation of World War II Through the Eyes and Minds of Hitler, Churchill, Roosevelt, And Stalin, pg. 50

heart on fire

I think an INTJ could say it too. Ni-Fi loop.

Sniffles

Damn you Ni.

MBTI
    INFP

It indeed does. Heart may be right, that even INTJs have their prominent Fi moments.

But the question is.. which cognitive function(s) does that quote illustrate? Is it Fi? Si? Ni?

It seems like the more I learn, the more hazy it all seems.

Sniffles

Here's the larger context in which that quote is taken from the book, comparing the personalities of Hitler and Stalin:

"Stalin was trusting Hitler to act rationally; and to fight Britain and Russia at the same time was clearly irrational. However, he failed to realize that, despite their similarities, there was one profound difference between him and Hitler which made his perfect logic irrelevant. He himself was a methodical, calculating, hard-working man; a master of detail, personally signing death lists at one extreme, and at the other keeping the tiniest details of gold production in his notebook.

Hitler by contrast was at heart an idle dreamer. He once described why he loved the mountains of Obersalzburg. "When I go to Obersalzberg, I'm not drawn there merely by the beauty of the landscape. I feel myself far from petty things, and my imagination is stimulated. When I study a problem elsewhere, I see it less clearly; I'm submerged by the details. By night, at the Berghof, I often remain for hours with my eyes open, contemplating from my bed the mountains lit up by the Moon. It's at such moments that brightness enters my mind." For Hitler, the big idea was never to be disrupted by small facts. Now, having decided to attack Russia for tactical reasons, his mind began to stir in ways that would lead him back to the original and biggest idea of all - the ideological struggle against Jews and Bolsheviks."
    --pg. 50

Is it common to characterise INTJs as idle dreamers? Just curious.

heart on fire

I would think if they had poor Te development, yes they would be idle dreamers, but the quote you gave seemed at first just someone having a mystical moment, not indicative of someone who was simply a dreamer at all times.

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

I could see myself saying that if I was extremely elitist like Hitler. No offense.
    He referred to nature as petty though, which was annoying to me.
    He referred to his imagination as imagination, I think a NF would be more poetic. IE, referring to imagination as more of a reality.
    He mentioned his love for the details. Definitely more NT.
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMethod View Post
    He referred to his imagination as imagination, I think a NF would be more poetic. IE, referring to imagination as more of a reality.
    What an interesting distinction.

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Is it common to characterise INTJs as idle dreamers? Just curious.
    Dreamers about the future? Yes. Dreamers about nature? Maybe...
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

Sniffles

Well if it helps, here's another quote of Hitler's explaining his thinking process:

"Bear in mind that my mind works like a calculating machine. Each person who makes a presentation to me introduces into this calculating machine a small wheel of information. There forms a certain picture, or a number on each wheel. I press a button and there flashes into my mind the sum of all this information."
    --pg. 26

This does sound a bit like Ni.