User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    Building the £4,000 Eco-Home : Step by step guide | DevicePedia.com

Cost that guy 4k pounds ($8000 more or less). If he can do it, you can do it.

Good luck getting a permit to build that!

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    Building the £4,000 Eco-Home : Step by step guide | DevicePedia.com

My recommendation would be to go with double stone walls instead of straw bales, though. The straw might last for 30 years. Double stone walls will do the same job and last centuries.

Cost that guy 4k pounds ($8000 more or less). If he can do it, you can do it.
    Wow. Impressive.

By "building my own house" I meant picking out a design and paying other people to build it.

Living in a house that someone lived in previously creeps me out slightly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

I live like a crazy nut!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    Wow. Impressive.

By "building my own house" I meant picking out a design and paying other people to build it.

Living in a house that someone lived in previously creeps me out slightly.
    Same here.

An old house would probably give me the creeps even more...regardless of whether or not ghosts exist, the idea of "weird stuff" going on would be enough to keep me up most nights until I was sure it was safe.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelTao View Post
    How I want to live: In the UP of Michigan or in the Rockies, with a lot of acreage, right up against public land with lots of trails, next to a river or lake. With horses. Able to write several hours every day. With an income from an internet business. With a large garden and lots of flower gardens, including a cottage garden. In a good school district. With a car that does not run on gasoline. Spending my days outside and my nights feverishly writing. With my son old enough to go a half hour without needing attention from me. With a husband who loves and respects me like he used to.
    Wow I really wish that for you especially....the underlined part. Every woman deserves that.
    for my life is slowed up by thought and the need to understand what I am living.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post

Good luck getting a permit to build that!
    I would so approve that and hope the person who's building it is a gnome. or at least willing to dress like a gnome.

MBTI
    INFP

Currently: In a house shared with 6 other people, guys and girls, all older 20-somethings, not too noisy. But I'll be moving back in my parents house when I start school again in September, and to be honest, I'm a little bit relieved. My house is full of extroverts mostly who can't understand why I don't want to chat as soon as I get in the door after work, that kind of thing. They're also a bunch of sluts :-P

At the same time, I've had my own apartment, not shared with anyone, in the middle of the city and it was so lonely. All my college friends lived out of the downtown area. I wouldn't go back to that again.

My ideal place to live would be in a house by the seaside in England in a village with my boyfriend, a small house but with my own room to do my work and a fantastic, sexy oriental bedroom.

MBTI
    GONE

This is interesting. Heck no do I want to live in the country or in the middle of nowhere. Maybe for a retreat once in a while.

I'm with the NF from Philly and Mr Random -- I need to where the action's at. Like right in it, but in a dwelling that is comfortable and quiet, and slightly set apart from the main throughfare.

Even in big cities, each neighborhood is it's own island. I don't want to live in the boonies of a city. Been there, done that. I also dont' want to live in a super 'urban' area where I have to be hypervigilant and feel the need to carry around a boxcutter for protection. Been there, done that.

But tucked away in a hidden street or set of streets in the middle of a hip, happening area in a major metropolitan city? Especially an area that is convenient to other hot, happenin areas?

Oh yes, please.

Right now I live in a major US city in a neighborhood that is upscale and well-heeled with lots of restaurants, bars, etc. A lot of Europeans live here, lots of embassies around here, and the early 20ed-30ed and upwardly mobile. I enjoy the convenience of the central location and amenities, the SAFETY, the cleanliness, and the general pleasantness of the area. It's also pretty busy for the city.

I don't like how it does NOT feel like a neighborhood and how the prices are a bit jacked for basic grocery items, etc. And the price at restaurants in the neighborhood = also jacked. Sometimes you just want a quick bite alone, and the 'seen and be seen' eateries around here aren't meant for that.

On the flip, my neighborhood is also kinda boring in that it's really...genteel and one note. I like the energy and tension of metropolitan cities. A little edgier, please.

One thing I keep in mind now when thinking of where to live is my proximity to friends and the ease with which I can stumble home and crash on my own bed after a fun evening out or have folks visit me. I like walking aronud the neighborhood and seeing friends.

Otherwise, I'd be happy to live in slightly cheaper, less central residential neighborhoods that are still accessible by public transportation or car give or take 15-20 minutes.

Also, for shorter terms I'm totally down with living in a quaint coastal village overseas.

And I would love to live on the beach! That's still in driving or even better, subway distance to the heart of the city.

Or the whole 'living in a hut in the mountains' thing. It would work much better if I were in a committed, happy relationship and living with my partner. By myself? I would get lonely and bored after a while and my social skills woud dry up.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    In what kinda building in what kind of area do you live? What would be the ideal way to live for you?
    I live in a duplex and have put a doorway in the central wall so that I can use both sides- I have two kitchens,lol. It's unconventional but that's how I like it! Each side is identical but is also like a mirror- identical but opposite - it has a very Alice in Wonderland feeling when going from one side to the other. I live in the city.

The ideal way to live for me would be to have an underground bomb shelter lair with all the amenities of a smart house and be decorated like a plush 30's or 40's style old hollywood house-think Liberace- under a cave- with high tech surveillance cameras and booby traps on the
    ground surface. I would have my own bowling alley, and theatre. I would have a secret elevator for going outside and an above ground garage covered in some kind of camouflage. The lair would have self destruct capabilities.

I would have a giant garden above ground and a beautiful yard still for my japanese spitz puppy army to play in,lol.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by ladypinkington View Post
    I live in a duplex and have put a doorway in the central wall so that I can use both sides- I have two kitchens,lol. It's unconventional but that's how I like it! Each side is identical but is also like a mirror- identical but opposite - it has a very Alice in Wonderland feeling when going from one side to the other. I live in the city.
    If I was your decorator, I would paint the other side orange and the other purple. Every object bought there would have a pair on the other side, but different color of course.