• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Things that happened years ago felt like yesterday

Destiny

A wannabe dog
Does any INFPs here relate to this?

I often find myself feeling this way. For example, a year ago, I left my job for this new job, but to end up getting let go by the new job after working there for a few days, although this incident happened last year, but until today, the entire incident still so fresh in my memory, it felt as if the entire thing happened yesterday.

And then there are those people spoke a bunch of harsh words to me during moments of anger, I couldn't even keep those people in my life anymore because whenever I see them all those emotional wounds came flooding back, I just couldn't forget how they tried to hurt me with their words and I just couldn't help but to put up emotional walls arond them.

Whenever something or someone affects my emotions in either a positive or negative way, I tend to remember it for a long long time.

Any INFPs here able to relate to this?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Does any INFPs here relate to this?

I often find myself feeling this way. For example, a year ago, I left my job for this new job, but to end up getting let go by the new job after working there for a few days, although this incident happened last year, but until today, the entire incident still so fresh in my memory, it felt as if the entire thing happened yesterday.

And then there are those people spoke a bunch of harsh words to me during moments of anger, I couldn't even keep those people in my life anymore because whenever I see them all those emotional wounds came flooding back, I just couldn't forget how they tried to hurt me with their words and I just couldn't help but to put up emotional walls arond them.

Whenever something or someone affects my emotions in either a positive or negative way, I tend to remember it for a long long time.

Any INFPs here able to relate to this?

Very much so. I can think back to memories from as young as three and also kind of "relive" all of the emotions that I felt back then. My most vivid memories also happen to be those attached to emotional events, and I can recall these with a clarity that feels as though I am literally reliving the emotional experience, I "feel" just as I did and can "see" the physical memories much like watching a movie in first person mode. The emotions just have to be strong, positive or negative. I can relive the happiness of my wedding day and feel it, feel the emotions seemingly just like that day, almost like yesterday.

Of course, when I was younger I thought everyone was like this. I have talked to friends and family about what happens when they think on past events and they do not seem to have this same emotional recollection. They will remember if they were happy or sad, but they don't seem to "re-feel" it. For example, my ISFP friend relives until emotional processing is complete. After that, she does not feel any emotions from an upsetting event anymore. She says they are simply gone. She cannot conjuure them up.

I've discovered this is not about a lack of internal processing of one's wounds either. Some people believe that if you've "dealt" with the emotional wounds they should no longer have such an impact. But I've realized for a long time that this is not the way this system works, for me.

Anyways, am interested to hear if other INFP's relate. Or if other types "feel" their memories in this way.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do something like this quite a bit, and it's why I thought I was FiSi instead of FiSe for so long.

Very much so. I can think back to memories from as young as three and also "relive" all of the emotions that I felt back then. My most vivid memories also happen to be those attached to emotional events, and I can recall these with a clarity that feels as though I am literally reliving the emotional experience, I "feel" just as I did and can "see" the physical memories much like watching a movie in first person mode. The emotions just have to be strong, positive or negative. I can relive the happiness of my wedding day and feel it, feel the emotions seemingly just like that day, almost like yesterday.

my ISFP friend relives until emotional processing is complete. After that, she does not feel any emotions from the upsetting event anymore. She says they are simply gone. She cannot conjuure them up.

I can't relate to emotionally reliving events from the very distant past. (The earliest memory that still gets me upset is from ten years ago, and it's because there's a recurring negative pattern in my life that it relates to. If this pattern came to an end, I don't think it this event would upset me anymore.) I find that (usually) in order to have a strong reaction to the memory of a painful event, it has to relate to something I'm still going through, or some fear I have about myself. So the things that stick with me / that I relive the most are not necessarily the ones that hurt the most when they were actually happening. It's hard for me to recall even very intense negative memories from childhood with emotional accuracy (though I'll mentally remember how I felt), because I feel like I'm a completely different person now, so whatever caused the hurt is no longer with me. (At least that's the best I understand it.) Sorry if this paragraph is redundant. I'm tired as hell.

(I am very prone to nostalgia/beautifying the past/longing for the past, but that's different.)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I do something like this quite a bit, and it's why I thought I was FiSi instead of FiSe for so long.

If it was FiSe, i shouldnt be that way, but strongly am.. Also i can and do create scenarios in my head to which i react emotionally as if they were really happening.

oneandonly

MBTI Type
INFJ
I endured much trauma in my life.. Once I finally was able to acknowledge that my feelings about it were valid.. I did relive it but it is important to feel your feelings THROUGH...

But there comes a point in time where you must discipline yourself..

Best advice?

"REVISIT, do not RE-LIVE"

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeesh, sounds terrible.

I suppose if I'm in a dark mood I can get spikes of emotional pain from the past (perhaps events I never fully addressed). Like, "Oh those were such good times and now things suck."

But I generally am able to stay in the present (meditation, yoga, running all help).

If this is a recurring problem, it probably means I'm bored, have too much time on my hands, not enough stimulation, not getting out enough, and/or not getting enough social interaction.

But like I said, even if my life situation is shit, I can still find peace through running and ESPECIALLY meditation.

If my life is really on a good path, then I don't think of those things at all.

If you are depressed, you are living in the Past. If you are anxious, living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the moment.
-Lao Tzu

I still think you can be anxious in the present moment. Being at peace there, even if your life situation isn't where you want, takes technique and skill.