• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What do INFPs think of INTJs?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
This thread is interesting because I can definitely see why an INTJ would like an INFP but I can't so easily see the reverse.

The biggest problem I can see in the relationship is the habit of both being emotionally reserved -- the INTJ through distance (though, when they do contact the base, they're usually quite strong and urgent) and the INFP through introversion. This looks like it'd cause all of those 'misunderstandings' that we hate so much and is probably why INTJs are traditionally paired up with ENFPs rather than INFPs.

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
I don't really seem to get along with INTJs at all. Most INTJs I know IRL clearly think I'm stupid, too dreamy and overidealistic.

:thelook:

Well, what do I, as an INFP, think of an INTJ? In my opinion, they aren't fun to be with. Why? Because they are mostly too serious, and seek the logical reasoning. You know I can't make a really logical reasoning! Second is their J characteristic. You know, J isn't like a P - J is neat, tidy and orderly while P is not that neat, tidy and orderly. I think they would persuade INFP to be like them, and that's difficult to me
I think about the same.

Motor Jax

MBTI Type
INFJ
The INFJ description mentions a dichotomy between involvement and detachment that many misunderstand. They will withdraw to rebuild unexpectedly.

i've found truth in this statement

personal improvements

and i do this a lot

Zaerne

MBTI Type
INFP
I know an INTJ, or at least someone who claims to be an INTJ, and she's fairly nice to me. She can be a bit straight-to-the-point in criticism and even adds sarcasm to it, but she does say at first, "Well I'm going to be really honest with you..." That one experience, if I remember right, was while we were peer-editing our papers so I understand her...a bit, though I think she could have been a little softer on the person. I like her perseverance. She's in so much and does so much and she can still get through it all. Sometimes she ignores what I say, or it seems like it, but maybe I just didn't speak loud enough. Anyway, she's a nice, intelligent companion (currently 1 in our class), and I feel sort of sorry for her because some people dislike her because they do see the INTJ self-confidence and sometimes think her arrogant.

WobblyStilettos

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't think I know any INTJs very well IRL so I don't really want to judge them, but the stereotypical arrogance that many tend to associate with them is something I really hate. Other than that, I don't have any problems with them :)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I know an INTJ, or at least someone who claims to be an INTJ, and she's fairly nice to me. She can be a bit straight-to-the-point in criticism and even adds sarcasm to it, but she does say at first, "Well I'm going to be really honest with you..." That one experience, if I remember right, was while we were peer-editing our papers so I understand her...a bit, though I think she could have been a little softer on the person. I like her perseverance. She's in so much and does so much and she can still get through it all. Sometimes she ignores what I say, or it seems like it, but maybe I just didn't speak loud enough. Anyway, she's a nice, intelligent companion (currently 1 in our class), and I feel sort of sorry for her because some people dislike her because they do see the INTJ self-confidence and sometimes think her arrogant.

When criticizing, an INTJ is not trying to be mean. I know whenever I have to criticize something, I ask, "Do you really want a critique?" and, if they say 'yes,' I go to town. If they said 'yes' and didn't actually want my honest opinion, well, that was their fault.

It sounds harsh but, well... some people just can't handle the truth. And if they can't, they shouldn't demand it.

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
INTJ awe me in their efficiency and intelligence. Their T preference is baffling, but fascinating.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
No other type besides an INTJ has ever made me feel completely comfortable being who I most deeply and truly am. No other type has ever made me feel like my soul is being lifted, swung around, and catapulted towards the sky. I think one INTJ, either here or on the INFPg site, said this in reference to her relationship with an INFP: "We find ourselves stumbling into each other's souls quite accidentally and frequently." No other words were ever more perfect for describing the process of how I've gotten to know my closest INTJ babes.

They can be the most wise, intelligent and discerning of people, and juxtapose their extreme clarity of mind with, in the very next minute, the most endearing doubt. They can share their most deeply-felt desires and doubts with me and make me feel like our souls sprung from the same cosmic, primordial pool at the beginning of time. They make me laugh, share in and heighten my joy, and often have a similar love for mischief.

They're romantics, idealists, and compassionate friends. They can be the silliest people and have the most childlike curiosity and sense of wonder, and then tackle the darkest, most controversial issues as though they're eating their daily bread (and I assume they probably are). Convention and tradition cower and wimper at the mere sight of INTJs, because under the keen eye of an INTJ they are rendered prostrate and powerless.

In addition to all that, of the four INTJs I consider pretty close friends, two have particularly obvious, deep wellsprings of compassion. One of them drew me a picture of her taking my hand and flying us both into the night sky, and she put the lyrics to Savage Garden's "Crash and Burn" on it. ("If you jump, I'll break your fall, pick you up and fly away with you into the night. If you need to fall apart, I can mend a broken heart, if you need to crash, then crash and burn - you're not alone.") I remember how touching that level of caring was to me. She and I have weathered some storms together.

:wubbie:

They are, hands down, my favorite type based on experience.

Last edited:

Snail

MBTI Type
INFP
So far, I like INTJs. It's too bad they're so rare, because I would like to have more experiences with them. That way I could offer a more informed opinion. Online, they seem to be pleasant, patient, ethical, practical surrealists. The one I met in real life was just adorable. His ESFJ wife was annoying, but he wasn't phased by her condescending attitude. He always treated her respectfully. After a full day of seeming detached and preoccupied with his thoughts, off in his own little world, the time came for the group prayer. He wrapped his arms around his wife as they were praying together, creating a smaller space for just the two of them, walling them off from the larger group. Even though he spoke softly in a robotic monotone, showing little evidence of emotion, I could feel that they sincerely loved each other. It was as if he had symbolically taken her into his private world for a moment, away from her hectic SJ realm of physical preparations and hosting responsibilities and into himself. This proves that at least some INTJs are capable of being considerate and empathetic, which is something that I value deeply. I haven't had many opportunities to study them yet, but I hope that the others turn out to be like the examples I have encountered.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
No other type besides an INTJ has ever made me feel completely comfortable being who I most deeply and truly am. No other type has ever made me feel like my soul is being lifted, swung around, and catapulted towards the sky. I think one INTJ, either here or on the INFPg site, said this in reference to her relationship with an INFP: "We find ourselves stumbling into each other's souls quite accidentally and frequently." No other words were ever more perfect for describing the process of how I've gotten to know my closest INTJ babes.

They can be the most wise, intelligent and discerning of people, and juxtapose their extreme clarity of mind with, in the very next minute, the most endearing doubt. They can share their most deeply-felt desires and doubts with me and make me feel like we dipped our hands into the same cosmic, primordial pool at the beginning of time, because they are usually so similar to my most deeply-felt desires and questions.

They're romantics, idealists, and compassionate friends. They can be the silliest people and have the most childlike curiosity and sense of wonder, and then tackle the darkest, most controversial issues as though they're eating their daily bread (and I assume they probably are). Convention and tradition cower and wimper at the mere sight of INTJs, because under the keen eye of an INTJ they are rendered prostrate and powerless.

In addition to all that, of the four INTJs I consider pretty close friends, two of them in particular have particularly obvious, deep wellsprings of compassion. One of them drew me a picture of her taking my hand and flying us both into the night sky, and she put the lyrics to Savage Garden's "Crash and Burn" on it. ("If you jump, I'll break your fall, pick you up and fly away with you into the night. If you need to fall apart, I can mend a broken heart, if you need to crash and burn then crash and burn - you're not alone.") I remember how touching that level of caring was to me. She and I have weathered some storms together.

:wubbie:

This is what an INF(f?)P can do to an INTJ. :)

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
This is what an INF(f?)P can do to an INTJ. :)

awww:wubbie: how adorable. My something IN a bTJ or intp friend finally opened up to me as "wide' as I do usually. It was very touching, I love it when they do but they do it safely, bit by bit you have to be patient and open up, be warm to them so they'll come around. They have no idea how much it means to an infp that they share their deepest thoughts with us sometimes.:blush:because that's all I care about: how she's feeling, what's she's thinking and where we'll eat lunch tomorrow you know, questions that matter xD.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
The few INTJs I've met I've enjoyed, though I tend to get along best in real life with NJs though not so much ENTJs,(I'm sure one day I'll meet one that I get along with) but INFJs, INTJs, and ENFJs, I enjoy the company of.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
I tend to not take criticism too well and for this reason: To me, my opinions define who I am as a person, when you reject my opinion, you reject me as a person. There is nothing worse then that for an XNFP.

MBTI Type
INxJ
They can be the most wise, intelligent and discerning of people, and juxtapose their extreme clarity of mind with, in the very next minute, the most endearing doubt.

They can be the silliest people and have the most childlike curiosity and sense of wonder, and then tackle the darkest, most controversial issues as though they're eating their daily bread (and I assume they probably are). Convention and tradition cower and wimper at the mere sight of INTJs, because under the keen eye of an INTJ they are rendered prostrate and powerless.

How insightful of you. Thank you for noticing. :)

Usehername

On a mission

You've an impressive verbal memory.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/bonfire/2833-three-friends-most-special-you.html#post81540

Quixotic

MBTI Type
INFP
I think Mempy articulated it best, but I guess I'll put my two cents in.

My ex-boyfriend was an INTJ. In my opinion, we made much better friends above all else, but I still cared a great deal about him. Communication was limited to rather superficial things, which, after a time, felt like a hindrance to the overall growth of the relationship because he often dominated the conversations we had with video game related subject matter. (ha ha) He's highly opinionated and could easily cut down anything I had to say which did not appeal to his logic-oriented mind. Naturally, as a sensitive individual, this often grated on my nerves, but he made a habit out of doing his own research into whatever it was I tried persuading him into believing, and once he discovered verifiable sources proving me right, he'd easily admit defeat and eagerly want to to know more. His curiosity overruled his skepticism. I admired his ability to accept when he was wrong and not be shaken by it. He loved to learn and knew that with learning comes occasional errors. He never brooded about his mistakes; he grew from them. This confidence was refreshing to me.

He's one of the most open-minded individuals I've ever met and incredibly imaginative. He's also very genuine and has little patience for mind games. At least I knew that whenever he felt offended by something I did or said, it wouldn't take long for him to confront me about it. I rarely had to speculate whether or not he was angry at me. That line of communication was always open, and misunderstandings were quickly patched up before they got out of hand. He never once toyed with my mind or strung me along until I burst in a glass case of emotion, which can all too often be the case with me. heh.

He also just seemed to be very pure at heart, and he demonstrated this with an innocent, affectionate smile whenever we'd cross paths. He did not express his feelings verbally very often, but his behavior and actions largely made up for the failing of words. It was very obvious he cared a great deal for me. Oh, and his mother is his hero, which endeared me to him instantly. haha. And nothing could match his silly sense of humor!

All in all, I've known a handful of INTJs in my life, and their unique views of the world coupled with an insatiable thirst for knowledge make me a huge fan of them. :) Go INTJs!

Tropics

MBTI Type
INFP
All in all, I've known a handful of INTJs in my life, and their unique views of the world coupled with an insatiable thirst for knowledge make me a huge fan of them. :) Go INTJs!

I have to agree :yes:

CelestialTravels

MBTI Type
INFP
This seems true in my experiences. But what INFPs don't realize is that they don't have to constantly worry about disappointing the INTJ. You don't have to be there for us all of the time. We'll be fine. Trust us.

Don't know if this is true for all INFPs, but for me at least, its not so much about constantly worrying about dissapointing the other person. I have these high expectations inside of me and I project those onto the other person, whomever they may be. So I'm really constantly worrying whether I am meeting these expectations I myself have set, regardless of what the other person's true expectations are. It's kind of a mind game.

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I tend to not take criticism too well and for this reason: To me, my opinions define who I am as a person, when you reject my opinion, you reject me as a person. There is nothing worse then that for an XNFP.

This is something I've noticed that puzzles and irritates me (not about you, per se). I am fine with people disagreeing with my opinions without (a) thinking they hate me and think I am stupid or (b) hating them or thinking they are stupid.
How do you figure xNFPs get there? A belief in the ultimate infallibility of their judgment?