User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    Silence doesn't mean that you're being written off!

Argh. This is bringing out my rage towards the INFPs that I have known.

An INTJ is an island. Occasionally, we allow visitors to the island. They are allowed to relax in our hammocks and have a few drinks out of a coconut, but at the end of the day, they have to leave.

The next day it may be possible to visit the island again, but a severe hurricane may prevent that from happening. Or perhaps the island may need time alone because after all, it is by definition, a freakin' island. Either way, it's better not to question why you can't always go to the island. It's not personal. Just enjoy it whenever you can or don't bother visiting at all.
    That is an interesting metaphor.

I think if you spent time really tweaking it, you could make this a timeless gem.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I think if you spent time really tweaking it, you could make this a timeless gem.
    Oh, I've already postulated about how the island's biggest fantasy is creating an archipelago with another island (or two). That way they are their own entity and don't have to let in unwanted, needy visitors, yet they are connected to something else that understands their nature.

It's quite beautiful.

MBTI
    INTJ

I am a rock, I am an iiiiiii--iiisslllannnndd!!

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

An INTJ is an island. Occasionally, we allow visitors to the island. They are allowed to relax in our hammocks and have a few drinks out of a coconut, but at the end of the day, they have to leave.

The next day it may be possible to visit the island again, but a severe hurricane may prevent that from happening. Or perhaps the island may need time alone because after all, it is by definition, a freakin' island. Either way, it's better not to question why you can't always go to the island. It's not personal. Just enjoy it whenever you can or don't bother visiting at all.
    This does make sense, but would that make each relationship entirely on the INTJ's - or other island people's - terms? (not concluding, just wondering) Many of my interactions with people are exactly like that. When they see value in interacting, we do, when they don't we don't. The down side is that on those occasions where I need someone to have my back, they may all be sipping pina coladas in their hammocks on their little islands. It makes the friendship seem more like a casual distraction rather than anything meaty or reliable. Does that make sense?
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTP

Beautiful. And thanks for the new sig.

Oh, I've already postulated about how the island's biggest fantasy is creating an archipelago with another island (or two). That way they are their own entity and don't have to let in unwanted, needy visitors, yet they are connected to something else that understands their nature.

It's quite beautiful.
    I can attest, it is beautiful. But one or both islands might have to shift a little closer first, or they will be no more than visitors on each other's islands. I guess it depends on what kind of archipelago you want. (I might not be as much of an island as I pretend to be. Heh.)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm sorry, but I keep picturing a Little Person <--- politically correct terminology! running around on NPG's head yelling, "Da plane! Da plane!"

(right before JJJ's burning aircraft crash-lands on NPG's island, which could result in a very Gilligan-esque sitcom situation)

--

I don't know if I have an island. I suppose I do, and anyone can come on at any time and wander around, just like wandering through Willy Wonka's chocolate factory... but don't expect me to be there waiting for you most of the time, I might be on the other side of the planet.

I wonder what other Type's islands might look like...?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ...right before JJJ's burning aircraft crash-lands on NPG's island...
    Shot down by NPG's deadly efficient anti-aircraft guns, I imagine.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

It's quite beautiful.
    Agreed. This is a great description of the INTJ mentality in human interactions.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    This does make sense, but would that make each relationship entirely on the INTJ's - or other island people's - terms?
    I find that relationships are usually on my terms, just because I usually don't require as much interaction as others do. I'm not going to spend lots of time with someone just because it's "required" in a friendship. I'll do it because I want to.

Nonetheless, I'm usually around to back up my friends if they really need me. Although, I first like to see if a person can get by without my help. Admittedly, one of my faults is being able to just listen. If someone is describing a problem to me, I'm usually trying to think of a solution. And I know from dealing with INFPs, that they usually just want you to listen and quit offering advice.

Is friendship a casual distraction to an INTJ? Eh. No. An INTJ wouldn't be friends with you if they didn't want to. They aren't going to keep a friend out of obligation. So more sensitive types should calm down. If we're talking to you and spending a decent amount of time with you, we like you. Just don't expect us to verbally affirm it very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I don't know if I have an island. . .
    I wonder what other Type's islands might look like...?
    No no. You ARE the island. It's not something you have. It is you.

Not all types are islands. I would probably say that it's exclusive to introverted thinkers, perhaps even INT types.

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    Shot down by NPG's deadly efficient anti-aircraft guns, I imagine.
    Damn straight!

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

No no. You ARE the island. It's not something you have. It is you.

Not all types are islands. I would probably say that it's exclusive to introverted thinkers, perhaps even INT types.
    The INFJ description mentions a dichotomy between involvement and detachment that many misunderstand. They will withdraw to rebuild unexpectedly. Being somewhere between the two types, its a curiosity to me. Interestingly most of the people that came to my mind as having relationships entirely on their terms happen to be extroverts, but also some INs. I've certainly been an island, but happened to be one that no one was able to find. For my inner circle there is a certain line of communication that is always available, but requires a mutual ability to be able to say when its not feasable. To me it seems logical to maintain that freedom of communication just in case there is something important that happens.

Wilson is always welcomed on my island ...

The rest of you, get the hell out of here. Wilson and I need to be alone!
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)