.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Why is that? Does it have to do with personalizing the criticism? Some criticism is a show of great respect and affection.
    Yes. You did know JJJ you are being a yellow-bellied, weak-livered quivering puddle of metaphysical jello? And you should stick up for yourself more?

(Just saying it cause... I like ya!)

poke
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senior Member Array JivinJeffJones's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP

Why is that? Does it have to do with personalizing the criticism?
    Yes, I think so.

Some criticism is a show of great respect and affection.
    I intellectually acknowledge that this can be the case.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yes. You did know JJJ you are being a yellow-bellied, weak-livered quivering puddle of metaphysical jello? And you should stick up for yourself more?

(Just saying it cause... I like ya!)
    I apologize for my etc etc.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I apologize for my etc etc.
    NooOoooOooooOO!!!! You have to PUSH BACK!!! Push!

sigh.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

NooOoooOooooOO!!!! You have to PUSH BACK!!! Push!

sigh.
    I'm sorry if I etc etc.

(and now I know your buttons)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

I'm sorry if I etc etc.

(and now I know your buttons)
    You know, it's hard to fight with a passive-aggressive who refuses to move on to the second part!

I'm sorry, my interest in this experiment is purely clinical and not personal.

MBTI
    INFP

You know, it's hard to fight with a passive-aggressive who refuses to move on to the second part!

I'm sorry, my interest in this experiment is purely clinical and not personal.
    Give me something to argue about. I can argue. I can be intractable. But it has to be something I care about (care in the non-feely sense of the word). Because I'm looking at my belly right now, and although it is quite pasty, it is certainly not yellow. As for my liver, it's doing pretty well considering.

darkened dreams Array labyrinthine's Avatar
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFp None

quivering puddle of metaphysical jello?
    Sounds like a compliment to me.

I intellectually acknowledge that this can be the case.
    Experience can play a role in it as well. My long-term mentor of 12+ years in my primary area of creativity shaped my view of criticism because I could always sense his respect for me. There was never an emotional context, but taking the time to critique someone's efforts is how one communicates that the skill worth cultivating. Criticism can be the same process of nurture that a gardener takes with his plants, cutting away the dead leaves and weeds, adding soil and sunlight, so that the plant can grow into what it ideally is in and of itself. There is a certain respect of boundary that is felt in this type of criticism. It is the highest expression of respect I have experienced.

edit: It's because they can see some aspect of who you 'could' be, that you cannot see yet. By revealing short-term flaws we cannot see, the mentor reveals long-term abilities we couldn't foresee.
    The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas. H.G. WELLS
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. FEYNMAN

If this is monkey pee, you're on your own.SCULLY

MBTI
    INFP

Experience can play a role in it as well. My long-term mentor of 12+ years in my primary area of creativity shaped my view of criticism because I could always sense his respect for me. There was never an emotional context, but taking the time to critique someone's efforts is how one communicates that the skill worth cultivating. Criticism can be the same process of nurture that a gardener takes with his plants, cutting away the dead leaves and weeds, adding soil and sunlight, so that the plant can grow into what it ideally is in and of itself. There is a certain respect of boundary that is felt in this type of criticism. It is the highest expression of respect I have experienced.
    I suspect INFPs deal so badly with criticism partly because we hate disappointing people, especially people we're close to. We should be used to it, because we often do it thanks to our vagueness with deadlines and other practical matters. It's kind of hard to say how much is INFP and how much is just me. I know that I have a fairly strong sense of inadequacy when it comes to practical areas, so I'm well aware of my shortfalls in that regard. Sometimes when people criticize me in an ongoing way (ie actually trying to bring about change rather than just registering disapproval) I can overreact (eventually) out of my own sense of frustration with myself.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

But it has to be something I care about...

I suspect INFPs deal so badly with criticism partly because we hate disappointing people, especially people we're close to. We should be used to it, because we often do it thanks to our vagueness with deadlines and other practical matters. It's kind of hard to say how much is INFP and how much is just me. I know that I have a fairly strong sense of inadequacy when it comes to practical areas, so I'm well aware of my shortfalls in that regard. Sometimes when people criticize me in an ongoing way (ie actually trying to bring about change rather than just registering disapproval) I can overreact (eventually) out of my own sense of frustration with myself.
    You're an inadequate and disappointing mass of unmet deadlines and expectations who really needs someone to change you!

*poke*

[peeks through fingers to see reaction]