User Tag List

First 678

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    This sounds very much like something an INFJ could relate to. I know I can. Who else agrees with me?
    I don't really relate too much to the idea of being a prophet. Having psychic powers, yes. Being a messenger of God, not so much.

I mean, I've always had grand thoughts of saving the world. Actually, when I was a kid, I had this fantasy of becoming mayor of NY city and cleaning it up. When I was a teenager, I was heavily involved in my church and wanted to 'save' my high school. But I never felt that God was telling me to do any of it or that it was my responsibility, I just felt that I could make things happen and it'd make people happy in general. But then I had a really short attention span when it came to my crusades, so nothing ever happened.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Jeffy, we love you, but I think I speak for most INTJs when I say we don't really want to be a part of this discussion.

And everyone knows that the people God talks to most are ISFPs.
    I don't know if I'm an irregular INTJ but I'm fascinated by this conversation. I'm a very strong N and slightly weak T, but I have had moments since I was a child that I swear were a divination. Still, I haven't had any since I was much younger. Now I think I just intuitively know things and can see prophetic in discussions. Development change?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Peguy, you're making me so nervous disclosing these things that I can hardly think straight for fear of the slamming to come. (Not prophecy, just knowing the adamantine and condemnatory nature of the atheists aboard.)

I've often thought this comes down to spiritual gifts as outlined in Corinthians (which I don't think is meant to be a complete list, but just examples). We're each called to serve in certain ways. INFJ is given the gift of prophecy -- whether it is used in the service of God, of whether it takes the form of glimpses of the future having nothing to do with God -- the point is, we have a tendency to sometimes live outside of time.

As for grandiosity -- does anybody really think we LIKE to be weird? And for those of us who believe in God in any form, it's not an easy path.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    (Not prophecy, just knowing the adamantine and condemnatory nature of the atheists aboard.)
    :spits out drink:
    :raises an eyebrow:

You do know this is an old thread though right?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Sniffles

There's nothing wrong in bumping a good thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Peguy, you're making me so nervous disclosing these things that I can hardly think straight for fear of the slamming to come. (Not prophecy, just knowing the adamantine and condemnatory nature of the atheists aboard.)
    Well it's best to try not to be intimidated by them.

MBTI
    ENTP

I would say that the prophetic sensibility is still there, even if you do not factor God into the equation. So for instance, a sense fo the tragic and a notion that things are not the way they are supposed to be are characteristics of the social critic and the social activists. So I think when God is not a part of the equation, it shows up as social critic and social activist, things born out of a deeply held conviction that things are not the way they are supposed to be, and that we need to draw attention to it and point out the gap between what is and what should be.

I think a lot oartistic folk fall in to this category, but not all of course. think Bruce Hornsby "That's just the way it, but dont you believe it" song, to use an oldy but goody.
    Tim Catchim
    ENTP - but not argumentative

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post

If there were a God, surely he/she/it would not be like, "hmm, I created people and MBTI theory so I can exclusively talk to INFJs, so they in turn can talk to the "other" people for me".
    Well, good point, but it is the role of a prophet to help other people develop their prophetic sensibilities. In other words, being a prophetic person means you naturally position yourself to be sensitive to God's values and vision for the world. Not everyone is conscious of this perspective, so the mature, genuine prophetic person helps other people see things from God's perspective and values, and challenges them to align their lives and values with God's.

The same way a really caring person can help an ISTJ be more compassionate and caring, and INFJ' prophetic person can help people connect with God and see things form his perspective, although that perspective will also be unique and limited seeing they do not see all of God all of the time, or hear form him all of the time. Most prophetic people hear form God on specific things related to their context or the community they are embedded in. So it is a contextual deal in my opinion.
    Tim Catchim

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post

Yeah, advocating instead spiritual power. As determined by them. Hrmm. "Your kings are leading you astray! Listen to me instead!" No power there.
    Well, not necessarily isolated. Most prophetic people are embedded in a tradition that has sacred texts. tHose texts, and the communties that they speak to and in, hold the prophet accountable to those texts and the traditions that surround them. So not really a power vacuum there. They speak and act in the context of community, text and tradition. They typically do not reveal entirely new things, but call the communtiy back to its original values and practicies, the ones revealed in the text and accepted by the community( theoretically).
    Tim Catchim

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I sure would agree, I actually would say that the INFJ is also the spiritually engaged or religious type, I know that my strong Thinking tendency probably shuts me off from some experiences or reckonings, I also think that N combined with F is very different from NT too.

I'd like to have been a prophet.

i think the real question is: what was the mbti of balaam's ass?