User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    How do you figure that?
    If somebody is not receiving insight from any divine source and yet believes it is so and that it is their burden to spread the message to the people, well, that would be a delusion, and it would be of grandeur, to think they were selected by some divine power.

Doesn't automatically make the message not good, but eh.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    I found this thread interesting, though I could tell by just reading the title it was not going to go over well with other people. I would have to admit to relating to most of the description provided in the first post. I'm not going to say much else because this part of me is kind of personal. I'm sure those who lack a sense of the spiritual side of life will snicker and criticize, so I'm just going to give a thumbs up and walk away.
    Well I'm just expanding on a common theme that's constantly mentioned in regards to the INFJ type - comparing them to Biblical prophets. This is actually what sparked my interest in the Prophets further.

Of course I'll repeat that the author of the OP makes a strong distinction between merely being "prophetic" and being an actual "Prophet". Long story short: the latter is actually chosen by God to be be his messenger. The former largely has traits comparable to those of the latter.

And he urges "prophetic" people to refer to themselves with great humility and not go around boasting of how God has chosen them. That's a major sign of False prophets.

It should be mentioned that the author does not claim prophetic people are somekind of master race who should rule the world, or even that they're more spiritual than others. They're just spiritual in a different & unique way.

Just like the little girl who sees the Virgin Mary is not necessarily more spiritual than the old woman who prays devoutly everyday. They're both spiritual in their own unique ways. Heschel also makes this point: arguing that the prophet is one type of spiritual figure among many - like the mystic, oracle, yogi, etc.

With that in mind, Im not arguing INFJs are closer to God or whatnot. At best I'm saying there's validity to the common claim INFJs can relate more to the Prophet more than to other spiritual figures.

Just like Im sure other MBTI types can relate more to other spiritual figures.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I get that kind of deja vu often. When it happens, I only vaguely remember it as a dream that I previously had. It makes me think I should start keeping some sort of dream diary, but that's always the last thing on my mind when I wake up.
    It's pretty uncanny, isn't it?

When I having the deja vu I'll be very aware that it's happening. I feel like things are happening a millisecond after I remember what's going to happen.

Then there are other times where I'm dreaming. Maybe it's a dream that I've already seen before, but it'll feel like deja vu. At those times, however, things never happen the way I think they're going to happen.

I've also thought about keeping a dream diary. Lately though I've been writing about what consumes my thought life. Maybe when I resolve those issues...

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Listen, I think that any N type would/will be more prone to being insightful, seemingly "psychic" and "prophetic", but not "prophetic" in the divine sense but rather in the wise/intelligent sense where one is able to "see" or predict the future because they are incredibly perceptive of complex patterns within a dynamic system and hence are able to infer from present-day variables, future outcomes.

"Prophets" freak the shit out of me, and they are always selling something, sadly, genuine psychics, scientists, and intuitives, however, don't.

If there were a God, surely he/she/it would not be like, "hmm, I created people and MBTI theory so I can exclusively talk to INFJs, so they in turn can talk to the "other" people for me".
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFJ

Hmm. I experience deja vu quite often, but I thought that was due to faulty brain wiring rather than any sort of spiritual experience. You know, certain forms of epilepsy are associated with it.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Jeffy, we love you, but I think I speak for most INTJs when I say we don't really want to be a part of this discussion.
    Fair enough. No more INTJ mentions. And don't call me Jeffy.

Quite frankly that's your problem not mine. I posted the relevant excerpts.
    Pleasant chap, aren't you? Don't like people disagreeing with you?

How would they be power-hungry? One major prophetic theme is the ultimate futility of earthly power.
    Yeah, advocating instead spiritual power. As determined by them. Hrmm. "Your kings are leading you astray! Listen to me instead!" No power there.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    not "prophetic" in the divine sense but rather in the wise/intelligent sense where one is able to "see" or predict the future because they are incredibly perceptive of complex patterns within a dynamic system and hence are able to infer from present-day variables, future outcomes.
    Well said!!

Being prophetic is one thing...if you're too far out ahead, though, you may wind up being a martyr. Yikes!!

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    If there were a God, surely he/she/it would not be like, "hmm, I created people and MBTI theory so I can exclusively talk to INFJs, so they in turn can talk to the "other" people for me".
    I don't think anyone said that prophets were exclusively INFJ. The thread was meant to discuss if the INFJ description fit the description of a prophet that was provided (most likely as a "just for fun" thread).

The MBTI can predict jobs that you would be naturally suited for just by knowing your type. In fact, that was its original purpose. I don't think it is a far fetched idea to think that INFJs are naturally inclined.

I think the problem with this topic is that it can be mistaken as glorifying INFJs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Hmm. I experience deja vu quite often, but I thought that was due to faulty brain wiring rather than any sort of spiritual experience. You know, certain forms of epilepsy are associated with it.
    Apparently there is a "God Spot" in the brain too.

I wager that Pascal suffered from an epileptic seizure which then led him to pursue and believe in a "God".

New Page 2
    `

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't think anyone said that prophets were exclusively INFJ. The thread was meant to discuss if the INFJ description fit the description of a prophet that was provided (most likely as a "just for fun" thread).

The MBTI can predict jobs that you would be naturally suited for just by knowing your type. In fact, that was its original purpose. I don't think it is a far fetched idea to think that INFJs are naturally inclined.

I think the problem with this topic is that it can be mistaken as glorifying INFJs.
    Define prophet, please.
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles