User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    The major task of the prophet is to deliver a message. A major concern for God (the giver of the message) is the key element there.
    A major concern for God plus a major concern for other people.

And who said anything about misanthropes? Is it misanthropic to be relatively independent of the values of those around you?
    Yes actually it can be, if you choose to use that as an excuse to claim superiority over the stupid "herd"(to use Nietzsche's term). To use Berdyaev's example: let's compare Nietzsche(INTJ??) with Dostoevsky(INFJ). Both examined the spiritual crisis man was facing, but took different approaches to the issue. We can do the same with comparing Nietzsche to Kierkegaard.

And Fi is not incapable of being concerned for other people. Check out the job recommendations for INFPs (Fi dominant). Missionaries, charity-workers and ministers are prominent.
    Im well aware of that concerning INFPs. I was still talking about INTJs.

And let's also bear in mind that missionaries, charity-workers, and ministers does not make one a prophet. Just like mystics and prophets are two distinct spiritual figures. Not necessarily mutually exclusive, just not the same.

Sniffles

I can add Bluewing's observations on this issue in his INFJ profile:
    "There also could hardly be a doubt that many of the most influential prophets in those religions were INJs. More of them were more likely to be INFJs than INTJs because the Extroverted Feeling aspect strongly gravitates towards presenting their vision to the common folk and making it part of societal life in a very systematic fashion."

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...j-profile.html

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    A major concern for God plus a major concern for other people.
    But primarily a major concern for God. Jonah didn't seem to care much for the people of Ninevah, for instance.

Yes actually it can be, if you choose to use that as an excuse to claim superiority over the "stupid" herd(to use Nietzsche's term).
    That's a big "if". Who's been doing that (apart from Nietzsche)? Nobody here. My point with that was that prophets have often been God's agents in opposing the direction the majority values have been moving. Sometimes they are the sole voices advocating God's will in situations where the views of the majority are directly antagonistic towards it. Fi would have considerably less trouble with that than Fe.

Im well aware of that concerning INFPs. I was still talking about INTJs.
    So you're saying INTJs are misanthropic?

MBTI
    INFP

I can add Bluewing's observations on this issue in his INFJ profile:
    1. Bluewing's views are hardly definitive. A lot of good stuff in there, but not authoritative.
    2. Don't make me wade through BW's INFJ profile to figure out if I agree with his rationale for that assertion or disagree. His posts are too long for my current concentration levels.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Hypothetically, let's say, if there actually was no, and has never been, a "God", um, what would that then make these prophetically-inclined INFJs?
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Sniffles

But primarily a major concern for God.
    Within the context of God's pathos, the two cannot be seperated. Your attitude towards your fellow man is a reflection of your attitude towards God. Love God and Love thy neighbor. In fact that's a major message of the prophet: the lack of concern for others(especially the poor) is leading to an ultimate lack of love for God.

Jonah didn't seem to care much for the people of Ninevah, for instance.
    Largely because they weren't of his tribe, and for this he was rebuked by god.

That's a big "if". Who's been doing that (apart from Nietzsche)? Nobody here.
    I haven't been here long enough to comment on here, but I do notice it plenty elsewhere.

My point with that was that prophets have often been God's agents in opposing the direction the majority values have been moving. Sometimes they are the sole voices advocating God's will in situations where the views of the majority are directly antagonistic towards it.

Fi would have considerably less trouble with that than Fe.
    Ok but the prophet's vocation is often seen as a burden not a blessing, and they often have significant problems dealing with their situation. One prophet even went as far as begging God to not to choose him to be so.

So you're saying INTJs are misanthropic?
    I do notice that tendency among them.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    what would that then make these prophetically-inclined INFJs?
    Psycho? Deluded? Power-hungry?

Sniffles

1. Bluewing's views are hardly definitive. A lot of good stuff in there, but not authoritative.
    I never said they were the end authority in this discussion. I'm posting this to show that others agree with my argument here.

2. Don't make me wade through BW's INFJ profile to figure out if I agree with his rationale for that assertion or disagree. His posts are too long for my current concentration levels.
    Quite frankly that's your problem not mine. I posted the relevant excerpts.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Jeffy, we love you, but I think I speak for most INTJs when I say we don't really want to be a part of this discussion.

And everyone knows that the people God talks to most are ISFPs.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Sniffles

Psycho? Deluded? Power-hungry?
    How would they be power-hungry? One major prophetic theme is the ultimate futility of earthly power.

Martin Buber gave a good commentary on this: contrasting the views of Plato and Isaiah.