User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Thread: Do you feel it?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    I asked my ESTJ 1w2 mother about this and she has no concept of these feelings, and says these feelings are things I should get rid of. My question is, have any of you felt this, or am I just weird? Why can my mother not relate? Could this be more to do with Ne or Fi?
    I dunno, everyone has dreams, aspiration, and curiosity about the world. I know my bro4lyfe @EJCC (the go-to ESTJ 1w2 of TypeC) definitely has an affinity for nature, enjoys appreciating the beauty of the simple things in life, etc - that's what I've gathered from her posts and her profile anyway. I think the difference is that for different types there are times and places for everything, and an ESTJ 1w2 mother may want her child to be spending more time preparing for what the world is going to throw at him instead of gazing with a childlike wonder at everything in the room.

But everyone has those moments where they want to look at the world and just take it all in. You're not weird at all, you probably just want to do this more than some people would which can be both a good and a bad thing.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    I dunno, everyone has dreams, aspiration, and curiosity about the world. I know my bro4lyfe @EJCC (the go-to ESTJ 1w2 of TypeC) definitely has an affinity for nature, enjoys appreciating the beauty of the simple things in life, etc - that's what I've gathered from her posts and her profile anyway. I think the difference is that for different types there are times and places for everything, and an ESTJ 1w2 mother may want her child to be spending more time preparing for what the world is going to throw at him instead of gazing with a childlike wonder at everything in the room.

But everyone has those moments where they want to look at the world and just take it all in. You're not weird at all, you probably just want to do this more than some people would which can be both a good and a bad thing.
    ^ Chanaynay gets it right as per usual

In fairness, while I do get that sense of childlike enjoyment out of things, and I do try to enjoy life's simple pleasures, my capacity for that is limited. I can give myself a moment to savor it, but that's just about all I can muster before I'm ready to move on. So @Magic Qwan, I do understand your mom's tendency to be impatient with it. However, I don't understand why she would want to erase it altogether. Even if I can't savor it like NFs can -- especially NFPs -- I feel like my life would be sad and colorless without it.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    ^ Chanaynay gets it right as per usual

In fairness, while I do get that sense of childlike enjoyment out of things, and I do try to enjoy life's simple pleasures, my capacity for that is limited. I can give myself a moment to savor it, but that's just about all I can muster before I'm ready to move on. So @Magic Qwan, I do understand your mom's tendency to be impatient with it. However, I don't understand why she would want to erase it altogether. Even if I can't savor it like NFs can -- especially NFPs -- I feel like my life would be sad and colorless without it.
    She says it is an excuse to be lazy and makes no money. It wastes time. Granted, I would gladly trade a little of that wonder for some more "common sense," which dozens of people tell me I lack, and some practicality. It is really, really easy to slip into this deeply romantisized mindset and it isn't always appropriate timing. The feelings are usually either extremely positive or negative. It is largely random anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

I understand.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by silvery sleeves View Post
    Is that all she said?
    Yes, and it was one of the most emotional things I ever heard her say.
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

She says it is an excuse to be lazy and makes no money. It wastes time.
    Okay she's clearly referring to something more specific, because she has the exact same sense of wonder that I do.

See below:
    When we went to the grand canyon a few years ago, we went off the trail to eat some home-made ham and cheese sandwiches while we dangled our feet off the edge of a red oblivion. It was my mother's idea to have this picnic, and I remember at some point she said "Isn't it nice, eating a sandwich on the canyon wall? How many people get to do that?"

I think she was feeling something.
    Quote Originally Posted by silvery sleeves View Post
    Is that all she said?
    Yes, and it was one of the most emotional things I ever heard her say.
    This is a PERFECT example of the short-and-sweet moments that I was talking about before. I had to hold back an "aww" when I was reading it.

Anyway. Point is that I think that either you misunderstood her, in the "wasting time" interaction, or she wasn't being clear with you.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I also would have read the "sandwich" thing as an expression of wonder from someone with that personality style and connected with it that way... but I do express myself far differently.

My dad (ESTP) was not very big on articulating transcendent moments either; I could recognize that he was feeling something mainly because of how he would sit there with opera blasting (heedless of how loud it was for everyone else) and lose himself in it, as an example. If I would have expected him to put it all into words, I would have been horribly disappointed.

I am very curious about the world. I often feel a sense of childlike wonder at things most people take for granted. I stare at the night sky with deep awe in all of its beauty and mystery, knowing that someday we may be citizens of the stars and be witness to extraordinary sights, and possibilities beyond our wildest dreams. Even seeing the changing of the leaves every fall and the new blooms in the spring or a magnificent sunset has inspired many of my poems. The progress mankind has made takes me aback many times a day. To see an airplane soar overhead or learn of a new discovery rises my spirits greatly, as does seeing just how greatly medicine has improved our lives over the last 200 years. Someday, science will save us all from every woe that has ever plagued mankind.
    I cried last night while watching Cosmos 2014 on TV.
    ... I realize that anyone seeing that might have thought me a complete freak, but I didn't really care.

Natural stuff just blows through my defenses and I get caught up on transcendent waves. I wish I could just hurl myself at the sky and lose myself. Melding in and merging with nature would not be a bad thing.

There really is just a sense of wonder and curiosity there as soon as I go out in the world and observe, all this stuff that is interacting with each other... and the limitless possibility and yet an understanding that on some level it all makes sense even if I can't quite yet see it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I also would have read the "sandwich" thing as an expression of wonder from someone with that personality style and connected with it that way... but I do express myself far differently.

My dad (ESTP) was not very big on articulating transcendent moments either; I could recognize that he was feeling something mainly because of how he would sit there with opera blasting (heedless of how loud it was for everyone else) and lose himself in it, as an example. If I would have expected him to put it all into words, I would have been horribly disappointed.

I cried last night while watching Cosmos 2014 on TV.
    ... I realize that anyone seeing that might have thought me a complete freak, but I didn't really care.

Natural stuff just blows through my defenses and I get caught up on transcendent waves. I wish I could just hurl myself at the sky and lose myself. Melding in and merging with nature would not be a bad thing.

There really is just a sense of wonder and curiosity there as soon as I go out in the world and observe, all this stuff that is interacting with each other... and the limitless possibility and yet an understanding that on some level it all makes sense even if I can't quite yet see it.
    I feel the same way about Cosmos. Neil Degrasse Tyson really outdid himself.
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

this thread is making me crave a good sandwich
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

this thread is making me crave a good sandwich
    Me, too.
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

About a month late, but yes, I feel it too.

Not everyone will understand that feeling, and that's fine. But if they pompously tell you that you should get rid of these things that you feel so connected to, they can fuck riiiiiiight off.
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors