• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] the Misunderstandings vs. the Truths

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you’re an INFP, you may occasionally feel misunderstood, alone, isolated, and marginalized.

It's enough now, the daily misunderstandings that we INFPs endure.
This thread is for us. Let's talk about it, what exactly are you misunderstood for, the big things, the little things; and let's provide the heartfelt explanations to justify ourselves.

The misunderstandings versus the truths, your truth.

It's hard, but let's try.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How about the idea that we're not really misunderstood but just whiny & attached to an image of being difficult to comprehend?
;)

Seriously though, the biggest misunderstanding is one spoken of in many Fi descriptions, but still not grasped even in online forums:
- Appearing cool and unfeeling on the surface, but having deep feeling which amounts to high ideals internally. This feeling steers the individual but is less often expressed verbally to others or with emotion in relation to what stirs it.
This is misunderstood one of two ways:
1. The INFP is a feeling dominant, and therefore will be warm, mushy, & generally excessively demonstrative with emotion. Outside of artistic endeavors, I don't see this as true for most INFPs. This leads to mistypings, IMO, especially with extroverts & probably ISFJs.
2. The INFP is emotional internally, but it's all self-absorbed & this makes them appear cold & selfish. This stems from the beliefs about how feeling is shown or should be shown if it exists (read: Fe). So if not shown that way, then it either does not exist or is selfish.

Online, most perceptions of INFPs don't align with my personal experience, but after getting to know an INFP e9 friend of mine, I see where some stem from. With that, I am referring more to the positive ideas, as she's waaaaay warmer & more expressive with positive feeling than I am. However, she also puts on the "simple, childlike" mask which perpetuates the idea that INFPs are very, well, simplistic & childlike.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This video makes me gag

:rolleyes:

I've never known one single INFP adult who acts like that in a workplace, or even in daily life.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That is one of the least useful youtube posts about MBTI that I have ever seen, which is quite remarkable as it has a LOT of competition. This might be remotely accurate if it were about two 22-year-olds' first day in the office just out of college.

As if we wouldn't have our own cables or adapter ready. Please.
It's worse than that. If the INFP is a PC user, then that Macbook isn't hers and most likely is part of that boardroom. Why does the monitor of the boardroom not have a Mac cable for the Macbook in it?! Or maybe the narrator is an idiot and meant to say that the INFP is not a PC user? But then that doesn't really make sense either ...

And WTF the INFP is looking for praise for something the ISTP did?