User Tag List

12 Last

Default sensory overload, overload

Hi fellow NFs,

Question is, out of curiosity, how many of you experience sensory overload on a regular basis?

Is that automatic for our types?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Seldom to never. If I do I can usually get myself over it, or simply move myself out of the situation and it goes away.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

I often do, although it was worse when I was younger. I also have problems with certain smells, usually, although sometimes things like colors too that push me viscerally into memories/behaviour associated with past situations.
    Likes Xann liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    Hi fellow NFs,

Question is, out of curiosity, how many of you experience sensory overload on a regular basis?

Is that automatic for our types?
    Could you elaborate on what you mean by sensory overload? It sounds similar to Sensory Processing Sensitivity. I tend to have this. Too much environmental stimuli can be overwhelming, loud noises really bother me, and I get uncomfortably hot and cold easily.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I get in a tailspin, but it's usually idea/direction overload. I get to doing too many things or thinking in too many different directions and wind up overwhelmed and need a break.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    Could you elaborate on what you mean by sensory overload? It sounds similar to Sensory Processing Sensitivity. I tend to have this. Too much environmental stimuli can be overwhelming, loud noises really bother me, and I get uncomfortably hot and cold easily.
    Say I am trying to have a conversation with my husband and want to formulate an idea. But it just so happens that the room is full of visual mess (like toys, clothes, dishes, etc), and my daughter comes in, pushes me, and sings at the top of her voice. I am dangerous then. I could almost punch my daughter. (I wouldn't actually do it, but I could push her with force). Sometimes if she is blocking my way and I am trying to get some things done, I find my patience is really tested. That's probably the extreme version.

To a lesser extent, I would almost always get things done better, if I were wearing a noise-blocking device. Sometimes, I like to simply close my eyes, to feel the comfort of no sensory input.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    It sounds similar to Sensory Processing Sensitivity.
    I looked up this term and especially the visual/auditory stimuli cause overstimulation (I almost need a nap). My startle tendency is something one friend used to love taking advantage of by sneaking up from random directions. I tend to want a blanket to weigh down on me comfortably. Visual chaos has to be at a minimum. That affects me more than I like to admit. Basically, if I wake up in the morning, walk into the living room and find a visual mess, I lose a lot of energy and can feel a kind of violence inside me. If two people try to talk to me at the same time (for example in a family situation), then I feel physically violent inside (I want to use force to rectify the situation). Embarrassing at times. Am curious whether that feeling of violence inside is something anyone can relate to. I could seriously use a chill pill.

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    I get in a tailspin, but it's usually idea/direction overload. I get to doing too many things or thinking in too many different directions and wind up overwhelmed and need a break.
    I relate to this too and it sounds just as tiring as sensory overload lol Do you just cease activity or meditate to quiet your brain? Do you sleep? What do you do to reach equilibrium again?

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I relate to this too and it sounds just as tiring as sensory overload lol Do you just cease activity or meditate to quiet your brain? Do you sleep? What do you do to reach equilibrium again?
    I try to get out. Go for a walk or get in my car or something. Physical activity and a fresh environment help me take a break from mental overactivity and kinda clear my slate.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Say I am trying to have a conversation with my husband and want to formulate an idea. But it just so happens that the room is full of visual mess (like toys, clothes, dishes, etc), and my daughter comes in, pushes me, and sings at the top of her voice. I am dangerous then. I could almost punch my daughter. (I wouldn't actually do it, but I could push her with force). Sometimes if she is blocking my way and I am trying to get some things done, I find my patience is really tested. That's probably the extreme version.

To a lesser extent, I would almost always get things done better, if I were wearing a noise-blocking device. Sometimes, I like to simply close my eyes, to feel the comfort of no sensory input.
    I looked up this term and especially the visual/auditory stimuli cause overstimulation (I almost need a nap). My startle tendency is something one friend used to love taking advantage of by sneaking up from random directions. I tend to want a blanket to weigh down on me comfortably. Visual chaos has to be at a minimum. That affects me more than I like to admit. Basically, if I wake up in the morning, walk into the living room and find a visual mess, I lose a lot of energy and can feel a kind of violence inside me. If two people try to talk to me at the same time (for example in a family situation), then I feel physically violent inside (I want to use force to rectify the situation). Embarrassing at times. Am curious whether that feeling of violence inside is something anyone can relate to. I could seriously use a chill pill.
    Hmm...there are times at work when I have to exert great self-control not to do something that would get me fired or end up in jail. A reservoir of aggression lies underneath the surface that I try to keep contained. But that doesn't have anything to do with being sensitive to sensory stimuli as much as having low tolerance for assholes.