• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ Demystified : Common INFJ traits

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
With all due respect, it seems you are taking one type and trying to reduce it to a generalized laundry list of traits. No offense, but this is the sort of thing that, in my opinion, has lead to so many people mistyping themselves. Anyone could find at least a few of the traits on such a list and come to the conclusion "a-ha! I MUST be INFJ!"

Geonat

I could answer this, but it would be like trying to demystify something like love. And then it turns intellectual and you start to substitute feeling with some indirect thinking. I don't want that.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't care about typology enough or know enough about it or maybe I think it's too prone to the Forer effect (and therefore way too subjective) to do this. I think I'm an INFJ, as far as dividing the entire human race into 16 categories goes, that's the one that feels like it fits me best. It fits like a one size fits all tee shirt.

I mean, I kind of know stuff about me and try to be self-aware where I consider it helpful to be so, but typology only does that to a certain point. After that it's way too much like work and the ROI . . . I'm just too lazy for it. Or my attention span is too short or something.

Some people don't like me. Some people don't like INFJs. That's okay. I don't like everybody either and I have doubts about people that have issues with other people based on something only marginally more useful than one's astrological sign.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INFJ sister:

Strengths

Fearless
Resilient
Resourceful
Loyal
Optimistic

Weaknesses

Obedient
Meticulous
Organized

INFJ ex:

Strengths

Sensitive
Dutiful
Obedient
Intelligent (<-Although, in reality, I would bet large sums of money on my sister's IQ being a good deal higher. It's just that e5 causes him to constantly/compulsively seek out more information. A better word here would be 'Well read' while my sister could be seen as 'Genius bordering on insanity so no one knows how intelligent she is.')

Weaknesses

Sociable
Trusting
Impartial

*It must be noted as well that with regards to my sister...that is accurate...but for my ex...
In an effort to be thorough/accurate...I would need to create two lists. One list (like the above) that reflects his fear-based characteristics. And a second list of 'who he truly is deep down.' The lists would look nothing like each other.

I seriously think I'm an e5...

yeghor

DEAR FELLOW MEMBERS

I AM JUST ASKING YOU TO PICKUP 3-5 TRAITS OUT OF A GIVEN SET OF TRAITS FOR A GIVEN INFJ DECSRIPTION...

NO MORE NO LESS, THANKS....

á´…eparted

passages
DEAR FELLOW MEMBERSI AM JUST ASKING YOU TO PICKUP 3-5 TRAITS OUT OF A GIVEN SET OF TRAITS FOR A GIVEN INFJ DECSRIPTION...NO MORE NO LESS, THANKS....
So far most have said they do not want to, and have given reasons as to why, and it's likely to set a precedent for this thread.Edit. I stand corrected.

Last edited:
G

Ginkgo

Strengths: Just, Conscientious, Punctual
Weaknesses: Persistent, Persevering, Enterprising

The "resilience" of the typical INFJ intrigues me. They can be fragile, yet able to hold their ground. Their means of tolerating what they dislike works differently than how the INFP does it.

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
S-Helpful,Discreet,Innovative,Suave-Sophisticated,Enterprising.
W-Trusting,Sociable,Impartial,Adventurous,Patient

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I seriously know you're not.

I feel that I may be too caught up in endlessly planning for a better future. I don't enjoy here and now like I would like to...

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Strongest traits: Patient, Decisive, Discreet, Humble, Loyal, Encouraging

I don't know about their weakest traits. The thing that they're not good at?

Maybe honesty? But that's because I've met some unhealthy INFJ's.

Freesia

cool cat
MBTI Type
Meow
Enneagram
:0)
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Strengths: Conscientious, Helpful, Imaginative, Friendly

Weaknesses: Adventurous, Confident, Sociable, Fearless

Yeah...Nope.

MBTI Type
ERMM
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll bite. I'm too curious of the outcome right now...

Strongest:
Dutiful
Patient
Imaginative
Confident
Humorous

Weakest:
Self-Disciplined
Meticulous
Sensitive
Leader
Obedient

hazelsees

MBTI Type
INFJ
Again...
Sorry to be confusing.

You're not talking about "strengths and weaknesses". Just traits...that could be either a strength or a weakness.
Strongest: (maybe--depends on the situation)
resilient
imaginative
sensitive

weakest:

fearless
trusting

I'm not sure this is going to "prove" anything. But I played along. Hope it's helpful to you.

Alea_iacta_est

Traits are boring ambiguous qualities that anyone can resonate with due to basic human nature. Ergo, the INFJ really can be defined by:

Strengths: Intuition, Feeling
Weaknesses: Thinking, Sensing

And more specifically,

Loved Strengths: Dynamic Pattern Assessment/Forecasting/Conceptualizing/Promise of One's own Probability Assesments, Objectified Ethics and Interpreting Emotional Input from the Environment

Loathed Weaknesses: Perception of Physical/Psychological/Mental Limitations and Management of the environment to provide physical comfort, Efficient Logical Induction and Application of Dynamic Straightforward Plans based on Empirical Evidence solely.

Cherished Weaknesses: Self-Assertion and Organization of feasible resources to instinctively achieve material results and the Assessment of the Environment to note where Power and Potential lay, Construction of logical frameworks to fit rational deductive thinking that can subject the Environment to the purity of Formal Logic.*

Hidden, Unloved Strengths: Possibility Assessment of the Environment for hypothetical potential, Subjection of the environment to moral principles and the need to project ethical principles onto the environment, fix the environment according to how the moral framework says things 'ought to run'.**

* Formal Logic inflates in the INFJ, deceiving the INFJ into believing they are competent using Formal Logic when really it is seen as 'over-the-top', 'ridiculous', or even, as Gainen put it, Pathetic.

** Ethical Framework can be engaged to unconsciously provide explanations for conscious failures of Dynamic Empiricism, i.e. "The reason why I am terrible at being objective/empirical is because I am more concerned about what I perceive to be morally right or wrong, so it isn't a lack of competence (which it is) it's just me ignoring Dynamic Empiricism because I care more about the people around me."

EDIT: Oh gods, the objective perspective used in these categorizations will scare off the Te-absent INFJs. What have I done?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is one of those INFJ descriptions that sounds very e4 heavy & could easily be a description of an INFP e4 also. Pretty much 99.9% it applies to me, at my best (certainly not my worst).

Just sayin'.

yeghor

This is one of those INFJ descriptions that sounds very e4 heavy & could easily be a description of an INFP e4 also. Pretty much 99.9% it applies to me, at my best (certainly not my worst).

Just sayin'.

Please make a side by side comparison of that with an enne 4 description on the net....

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
MBTi descriptions, especially INFJ ones, tend to be very positive because of the reason the MBTI system was created (the book title "Gifts Differing" is telling).
But enneagram descriptions can be highly negative, because they focus on how the ego fixation plays out & distorts people's "true natures".

Some excerpts, then, from a positive 4 description & positive bits in others, as that's the only way to make fair comparison:

I call Fours the Deep Sea Diver because this label captures a quality all Fours seem to share: the compelling desire to look beneath the surface of life.

Fours never accept anything at surface value, but instead delve to see what is really there, deep beneath the waves. Emotionally sensitive, they can be like a psychic sponge, readily picking up the feelings and attitudes of those around them. Fours are also able to detect discrepancies between projected images and authentic feelings.

-----
Very insightful. INFJs find it easy to decipher other people’s motives and are rarely affected by manipulation or sales tactics. They tend to know instantly whether someone is being honest.
------

Motivated by the desire to connect with what is real and authentic in life, [4s] are often willing to sacrifice a great deal to make this connection. They're usually happiest when doing original work that expresses what they feel inside; they are often talented writers, painters, or actors who are not afraid to draw upon their deep emotions for creative purposes.

----
INFJs may find it difficult to focus and force themselves to complete tasks that are not linked to one of their goals, e.g., some routine administrative work that must be carried out.
----

However, while Fours value their individuality, they many look more ruggedly individualistic than other types simply because they feel more compelled to follow the dictates of their inner muse than the dictates of social convention.

---
People with this personality type are also likely to react strongly to anything that challenges their inner principles and values.

Perfectionistic. INFJ personalities are inherently idealistic and do their best to achieve their ideals. This is a great trait, but it can quickly become a weakness if the same approach is applied in every area of life. For instance, INFJs may find it difficult to settle down in a romantic relationship, always looking for an ideal partner.

----

Fours and Fives are both what people call "Bottom of the Enneagram" types- and are subject to the effects of the energies in that region of the enneagram. There seems to be some sort of energy vacuum or vortex existing at the bottom of the enneagram (as reflected by the lack of connecting lines there). Both Fours and Fives feel the effects of this region, which seems both chaotic and dynamic. It attunes these types to the kind of primal, creative energy that makes originality possible. But it also makes them sensitive and in need of more rest and time alone than other types.

------
Can burn out easily. That strength and passion that INFJ personalities are known for can exhaust them quickly if they are not careful. INFJs also tend to internalize most of their feelings. This trait is not necessarily a weakness, but it deprives them of the “exhaust valve.”
-------

Fours can be especially talented at synthesizing ideas and communicating them in writing. They're often better writers than speakers, because writing can be done alone, without the distraction of the audience's emotional reaction to the speaker's presentation. When they interact with people directly, Fours often like to assume the role of teacher, because it gives them the authority to act in response to their inner promptings.

--------
Inspiring and convincing. People with the INFJ personality type have a way with words and are known for their fluid, inspirational writing style.
Also:
… INFJ personalities [are] excellent counselors and advisors.

-----
I once saw a panel of Fours queried as to their occupation. It turned out that four out of five did work requiring them to provide emotional support to people in crisis situations (for example, working in a hospice, manning suicide hot lines, or offering crisis counseling). So while Fours are not much for small talk, they can be extraordinarily attentive when listening to people with serious troubles to share.

From other 4 descriptions:
-A sensitivity to other people's emotionality and pain. An ability to support others in crisis.

-the ability to help others in pain.
----
Altruistic. It is very rare to see an INFJ do something just for their personal benefit. People with this personality type tend to be very warm and altruistic, even though these traits may not be clearly visible.
--------

Fours are usually aware that others find them too intense. They try to deal with it, but it's not easy, because they have to choose between being themselves (but potentially alienating others) and curbing their passion (which makes them more socially acceptable but creates a sense of self-alienation). This conflict can be exhausting. It may be one reason that Fours tend to shy away from social events, especially large-scale social functions. They can usually fit in if they really need to, but it's not an appealing way to pass the time.

----
This passion can easily surprise people not used to seeing this side of the INFJ, but it is an inseparable part of their personality.

Extremely private. INFJs may appear expressive and passionate, but they are actually very private individuals. People with this personality type often find it quite difficult to trust a new friend or open up, even to people who are closest to them

----

While Fours may not be particularly easy-going or light-hearted, they're seldom dull. Their creativity, originality, and intensity always leave an impression on the people around them. Also, they're one of the few types that are willing and able to deal with intense emotions, psychological traumas, and spiritual crises.

----
Determined and passionate. INFJ personalities work very hard for causes they believe in.

Creative. INFJs possess a vivid imagination and rarely have any difficulties expressing it in one way or another. Most of their solutions revolve around people or ideals, as opposed to technical strategies. This strength makes INFJ personalities excellent counselors and advisors.

-----

For Fours the present seems unreal. All relating is building toward the emergence of the "real" self through the agency of love. The ultimate disclosure, the transcendent moment, the reawakening of the soul.

----
INFJs may find it difficult to settle down in a romantic relationship, always looking for an ideal partner.
----

Wants distinctive work. A job that calls for creativity, even genius, an eccentric edge in presentation, a unique approach to business life.
Must feel respected in the workplace for personal vision and ideas.

----
Always need to have a cause. INFJs may find it difficult to focus and force themselves to complete tasks that are not linked to one of their goals, e.g., some routine administrative work that must be carried out. People with this personality type always want to know that they are moving toward a worthy goal and may feel disappointed and restless if this is not the case.
-----

There are other profiles which go into the empathic & altruistic leanings of 4s (even said to be the most empathic of all the types), as well as being perfectionistic (integration line to 1) and idealistic, and being withdrawn & keeping people at arm's length (private), & internalizing feelings ; but I just suddenly lost interest in this & don't feel like looking it up right now.

Last edited:

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] Stunningly presented, as always. Thank you for putting that together! :)

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] Stunningly presented, as always. Thank you for putting that together! :)
There are other profiles which go into the empathic & altruistic leanings of 4s (even said to be the most empathic of all the types), as well as being perfectionistic (integration line to 1) and idealistic, and being withdrawn & keeping people at arm's length (private), & internalizing feelings ; but I just suddenly lost interest in this & don't feel like looking it up right now.

The irony in [MENTION=17697]small.wonder[/MENTION]'s compliment (e'en though it came later), coupled with the juxtaposition of [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] 's final sentences, is Rabelaisian in its humor.

Seriously, I can see it now. Hudson & Riso & Appled, The Wisdom of the Enneagram, New Edition. :D
Consider yourself *highly* commended.