• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Perspective and mood switching

BlackDog

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think I read a thread like this before, and perhaps even wrote it. If so, I apologize.

I rapidly change my perspective, depending on what the weather is, or if I talk to someone I know, or if I am alone. This happens very regularly. It is predictable that it will happen, but not when and how it will happen. I think I cycle between positive, neutral, and negative outlooks, and these outlooks have to be shaped by a forecast of how the future will be, at least for the next few hours or something. If something the next day is going to be bad, then I can cast a cloud over it sometimes, but most often not.

Within the positive, neutral, and negative outlooks, there are all kinds of variations. I find this to be very not helpful because it makes it hard to know how good your decisions are.

For example, I might be thinking in a very neutral way about what I am working on at the time, and then the telephone will ring and I become intensely annoyed. I won't necessarily realize that I am annoyed, or not sure what to do, or whatever mood has been stimulated by the telephone and who is on it; one time I picked it up to talk to someone and was hardly able to get the words out, as though I was very unsure of myself, even though I was not conscious of this in my mind. The disconnect is sometimes very clear.

Does this make sense to anyone else, or is it more of a 'me' thing?

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I believe that we can decide to make an action that is based on either colored feeling or thought we desire to project, or we can fight this instinctual flow by being politically correct and trying to conform with our environment, and be politically correct.

Correctness isn't always correct.

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
It seems like I am changing perspectives, but I wouldn't call it that. I just tend to keep things vague for some reason. I have a tendency to discredit my thoughts, but I trust the vague feelings I have. I just need a trusted buddy to guide my cloudy feelings into something that is solid, otherwise I keep on thinking about an issue for ever, ruminating on my feelings and I don't come to a productive conclusion.

BlackDog

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It seems like I am changing perspectives, but I wouldn't call it that. I just tend to keep things vague for some reason. I have a tendency to discredit my thoughts, but I trust the vague feelings I have. I just need a trusted buddy to guide my cloudy feelings into something that is solid, otherwise I keep on thinking about an issue for ever, ruminating on my feelings and I don't come to a productive conclusion.

But do the feelings stay constant, or do they and your state of mind change a whole lot depending on a lot of different factors?

A good metaphor would be weather. Is the 'weather' in your mind fairly constant, or does your perception of your problems change rapidly but cyclically, just as if a thunderstorm came up, or the sun came out, or something?

BlackDog

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I believe that we can decide to make an action that is based on either colored feeling or thought we desire to project, or we can fight this instinctual flow by being politically correct and trying to conform with our environment, and be politically correct.

Correctness isn't always correct.

Okay, but I don't think I communicated what I was thinking. I mean more like an involuntary thing. It's more like the 'weather in your mind' which provides the backdrop to your thinking and actions. It isn't consciously affecting you, I mean. But it does anyway.