• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Types, How Many Hours Of Sleep are Optimal? Necessary?

BlackDog

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This may have been done before, but I want to see if the supposed 'high energy' versus 'low energy' types are borne out in the hours of sleep they say they need. Not scientific, but interesting...

So, state your type, how many hours of sleep are optimal, and how many you need to get by on a decent functioning level.

I'll start: INFJ, 9, 7.

Also, if you are still young enough to be growing, then state that because it will affect your answers.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
INFJ 9 hours, can get by with 7

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFJ, between 6-8hrs.
Used to be able to go on a LOT less, but it's wrecked me over the years. Catches up with you.

When I'm pressed for time but still need sleep, sleepti.me is a great little site for working out when to wake up in terms of cyclical increments, so I still feel 'rested.'

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENFP: 8-9 hours is optimal
5-6 to function

i need my sleep man.

EDIT: feeling the need to qualify "functioning". For me, it means not calling off work, but lagging hard, pumping myself with much more caffeine than normal, and staggering around like the undead.

S

Sniffles

Seems 7 hours is the bare minimum I can get away with nowadays. Used to do it on 6 hours, but not anymore. :mellow:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
My body and mind function optimally on, and demand, no more and no less, than 8 hrs of sleep.

I used to grind away with 4-6 during my early-to-mid 20s, but I just can't do it anymore.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
10 is optimal I usually do 9 but I can get away with 7. I've gone almost 2 full nights without sleep, it's not fun.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
ENFP type 8 sp/sx.

I usually get around 8 hours a night.. I can deal with 6-7 just fine, I'll just be a little groggy when I wake up. These are my preferences though 6-8.

I function on any amount of sleep, or a lackthereof, depending on the importance and intensity of what I'm doing.

If I sleep 9-10 hours I don't feel much more rested, but sometimes I want the luxury of not waking up to an alarm and this is usually the amount of sleep I get when I do that.
I've also functioned just fine on 2-3 hours of sleep. Anything more than 3 hours and less than 5 hours I feel like crap when I wake up.

7-8.

Do okay on 6.

Cranky with less than that.

Man, I miss the days when 3-4 hours was all I needed.

IxFP.

á´…eparted

passages
9 is ideal. I can function on very little sleep the problem is waking up and the first hour after that. I am always tired though and never seem to get enough sleep.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
ESFJ 2w1 so/sx

If I let my body decide when I go to bed and when I wake up I generally sleep 10-11ish to 9 am. I feel best when this is the case. So, 9-10 hours would be my idea. I can function on 7-8, but I generally feel tired and want naps. Less than 7 and things get problematic.

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
INFP 7-8 hours. Less is too little, more is too much. I'm always up by 5 in the morning, no matter the day. It's a little routine I have in order to make myself more productive, if I go free-for-all nothing ever gets done and I turn so lazy like you wouldn't believe. I need something to keep everything going smoothly, so I force myself. Of course, I still tend to slack. Don't even mention homework, that stuff never ever gets done. But for some reason I just keep making it in school, I might not get constant and steady A's, but I get around. Goodness, listen to me ramble.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFP - 8-9 is ideal for my cognition, 7-8 is ideal for my mood. I have no idea why. I function okay on as little as 5 hours, as long as it only happens sporadically; more than one or two nights of 5 hours or less of sleep, and I'm a zombie.

Odi et Amo

To here knows when...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
9 is ideal. Frequently get by with 5 or 6.

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Seven is my ideal. Any more, and I won't necessarily feel more rested - just annoyed that this time could have been spent doing something enjoyable or productive. My day is like a hunted animal - ideally, no part of it must go to waste.

I can easily function on five hours. I can even do three or less, but at that point, I will feel a little sick for a while after waking up. If I push through my day without napping, I'll perk up again, usually around mid-afternoon.

My natural inclination is to go to bed at seven in the morning and then get up at two in the afternoon, and it's been that way for as long as I can remember. High school was a nightmare; having to get up so early on a regular basis was not fun. Fortunately, when I get up early now, it's for travel or something fun and work-related. Much preferred!

I've been asked if I've tried getting help for insomnia, but it's not insomnia when you're not trying to sleep in the first place. I really wish we were organisms that could recharge our batteries in some other, less life-eating way.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENTP.

I need my 8 hours.

I can make do on just about anything, though, or at least I could before my thyroid illness.

S

Society

ENTP

bare minimum:i have handled myself on 5 hours, but it isn't pretty.
usually: 6-7 hours though and i'm fine, its probably my average.
my max: i can rarely sleep more them 8 hours - i remember a couple of times after pulling double and a lot of work i almost reached a 9 hour sleep.